Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   JBL-- JBL Larry G. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/jbl-jbl-larry-g/)
-   -   JBL - Still around? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/jbl-jbl-larry-g/121882-jbl-still-around.html)

ianm12 08-21-2013 07:39 AM

JBL - Still around?

Hi all, I'm new to the "club" and am doing research and planning my cobra build. I am a mechanical engineer and the idea of a new car with an old skin is really cool. I love to race my current vehicle but I think it would be great to also race a cobra. I came across JBL and am very interested in the setup. I can't seem to get in touch with anyone at Goins Motorsport even though I have tried, phone, email, and facebook.

Can anyone help?

I am really excited to be here and start learning a bit more about cobras in general and will try and find some people in CO to learn some things from them as well!

Richard Hudgins 08-21-2013 01:00 PM

Hi,

I will let Larry know that you are looking to speak with him.

Have you tried sending an email to larry@jblmotor.com ?

Kramer 08-21-2013 05:13 PM

Hey Ian .. I am right down the way from you in Westminster.. Reach out to me and I can offer some insight. Welcome to the madness:)

AL427SBF 08-21-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianm12 (Post 1258634)
Hi all, I'm new to the "club" and am doing research and planning my cobra build. I am a mechanical engineer and the idea of a new car with an old skin is really cool. I love to race my current vehicle but I think it would be great to also race a cobra. I came across JBL and am very interested in the setup. I can't seem to get in touch with anyone at Goins Motorsport even though I have tried, phone, email, and facebook.

Can anyone help?

I am really excited to be here and start learning a bit more about cobras in general and will try and find some people in CO to learn some things from them as well!

Just in case you haven't seen his latest build earlier this summer -
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobr...upe-build.html

vector1 08-22-2013 02:53 AM

Bit of a drive, but if you get to Kansas City on the way to Tulsa I have 2 roadsters, and I believe there are shortly going to be 2 coupes in the Tulsa area. Welcome.

Clois Harlan 08-22-2013 05:11 AM

My JBL Coupe build is going a little slower than I expected but it is still progressing. I have been a bit lazy posting pictures but I am finishing up the wiring of my Coyote engine hopefully this weekend. I had originally planned to place my battery near the engine compartment but needed a place for my engine management system to be mounted so I have moved my battery to the back of my coupe where it had been originally intended.

Clois

ianm12 08-22-2013 08:20 AM

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I got a call from Larry last night. Apparently he is a busy man. Who would have thought.... I might take some people up on seeing their cars soon. It would certainly help me plan my own build!

ianm12 08-22-2013 09:47 PM

Kramer, I would love to come ogle your car. Would you mind if I came by soon? You can email me if you would like but if you don't see this I'll try to send you something.

Kramer 08-23-2013 09:30 AM

no worries - would love to talk Cobra's for a while. Guessing we are within 5 minutes of each other as I am close to 120th and Sheridan...email or call me at my shop....tom@qualityautocare.com 303-421-3033

Kramer 03-22-2014 05:45 PM

Did you ever get serious about a new car?

ianm12 02-08-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramer (Post 1292166)
Did you ever get serious about a new car?

Well, it has been quite a while but the answer is yes. I would still love to come check out your car. I am looking at a co-worker's non-JBL car next weekend to get a feel for them in general.

I have been saving for a couple of years, doing planning, creating a bill of materials with pricing, comparing options and doing various other preparation to see if I can afford it or even want to do it. I think I am ready but I will be sure once I see a couple of these things!

I appreciate the feedback and apologize for the lack of response! I will be sure to get on here more often.

ianm12 09-19-2015 06:27 PM

All,
I ended up purchasing a JBL roadster! I am excited to get on with the build as it is in the garage along with a bunch of parts. I would like some advice about how I should handle a few things. Here is my story.

I ordered the chassis, frame and the started parts list on the 2nd or 3rd of March. It is supposed to be 45 days. Well, 5 months later in mid-August we finally have a delivery but it showed up with almost no off the self parts. Just the chassis, body, windshield, radiator, fan, steering column and some, not all of the fabricated suspension parts. I was told things were on back order, which to me is "I didn't have time." Ok, I understand that but 5 months of time is a lot of extra time when you sign an agreement for 45 days. I am a patient guy. I can also go buy the off the shelf parts myself, which is what we talked about when I received it.

The more I got into it, the more I see that was wrong. Even though we signed a new agreement stating most of this, I was missing the hood scoop, the dash, trunk inner panels, front splash shields, bushings, fasteners, rear spindles, rear upper arms, camber adjusters, toe adjusters, steel brake lines, side pipes, headers (an add on I asked for), roll bar downtube, battery tie down and wiring, and engine mounts (add on I asked for). I could me missing other items but I can't make sense of what should come with it based on the discrepancies of the bill of materials and the little marketing sheet that was supplied.

Furthermore, The chassis has incomplete welds in some locations and is missing the rear upper strut mount brackets, missing seat belt mounting brackets, and missing roll bar mounting brackets, all of which I assume were supposed to be welded in from all of the pictures I have seen.

I was told I would be receiving many of these things ASAP but here it is a month and a week later and I don't have anything that wasn't delivered.

I love the design, I want to support a small business, and those around me know I have the patience and temperament of a buddist monk, but it is starting to fade. 6.5 months after contract start and it hasn't been completely delivered.

Ideas? I want to stick it out for the long run but there is no hope that I get all of the parts I need at the moment.

vector1 09-20-2015 07:06 AM

Least you got a contract it sounds like? Was it sent through the mail system? That would involve the Feds, they don't look to kindly on mail fraud, but I am no expert.

Maybe the people who have had a good experience with Goins will chime in.