Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Keith Craft Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/)
-   -   just wanted to say hello (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/90151-just-wanted-say-hello.html)

reed1951 08-13-2008 04:51 PM

just wanted to say hello

hey guys i just joined the forum and I think its great. I have a build I am working on and I am seriuosly considering the 408 street 515hp and 500pds of torque from keith craft. But my build is a 3200 pound truck with 9" rear end with 3:50 and a C4 trans that i'll drive basically every day if gas prices dont get to 8 dollars a gallon lol. I saw the dyno numbers on the website and it seems this engine would definitaly feed my torque bug and have the hp to move this truck no prob. What do you guys think?

MrMagoo 08-13-2008 06:35 PM

I have this motor, installed it over the winter and have put about 1700 miles on it so far. You will not be disappointed with the power this motor makes.

It idles reasonably well, runs cool. It comes alive at around 2500 RPM and produces it's peak power around 5200 RPM. Works great on the street. 9:1 compression, runs fine on premium unleaded.

I got 450HP at the rear wheel on a chassis dyno, and I have headers with the stock size 1 5/8 inch primaries.

The AFR 185 heads come standard with stock header bolt pattern, but with the exhaust ports being larger than stock. If you want to run 2" primaries, you'd have to have them drilled diagonally. Ask to talk to Keith and give him your specific requirements and he'll hook you up.

reed1951 08-13-2008 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info! The engine on the website says that it comes with 10.01 compression. Did you ask for the 9.1 compression when you ordered yours? and how does yours do on gas mileage?...8 mpg or so

Stentor 08-13-2008 06:57 PM

Call Keith

I suggest you call Keith and ask him your specific questions (call his shop and ask for him).

He is a very nice guy, and he will "shoot you straight" regarding your questions. He posts on this forum pretty regularly, so I suspect he will respond to your message.

Good luck.

reed1951 08-13-2008 06:58 PM

sweet that would be great!

MrMagoo 08-13-2008 06:59 PM

I calculated 9:1 off my spec sheet, and maybe I screwed something up?

Clois Harlan 08-14-2008 11:21 AM

Keith will be at Run and Gun this year and I think we are going to ask him to do a seminar one day on engine selection, expectations, etc. Also, Keith might just have one with him. Give Keith a call he is a wealth of knowledge. By the way Run N Gun is in St. Louis October 8-11, 2008.

Clois

MrMagoo 08-14-2008 01:22 PM

Oh, by the way, your mileage will vary ;)

I get 12 around town, 16 on the highway, with a 780 CFM Holley style 4150 carb.

reed1951 08-14-2008 05:00 PM

Wow thats better than what I thought!

MrMagoo 08-14-2008 05:54 PM

Dual quads will get you well into single digits :) This is not a motor that has to work very hard to push 2500 pounds down the street. BTW I have a 3.73 rear and a .75 overdrive.

reed1951 08-14-2008 06:06 PM

thats good info. I wish i had a overdrive (only have 1.1 final drive c4) but I do have 3:50 gears. I really think the truck will weigh about 3000 pounds cause the front end(hood, fenders etc.) are fiberglass as well as the rear fenders also. Hope i get supprised and it weighs less than that when im done...