Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Non-SB100 registration with Shelby Aluminum Block (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/101728-non-sb100-registration-shelby-aluminum-block.html)

Mark Thompson 12-28-2009 03:26 PM

Non-SB100 registration with Shelby Aluminum Block

I am contemplating work arounds if I don't get my SB100 certificate next Monday for my under construction 427SC and would like to hear comments from people who have taken their aluminum Shelby block cars though regular California SPCN channel. The Shelby block is pattered after the 4.63" bore center block which went out of production in 1967, so only PCV required. That is not a problem as I will fit one anyway (single 4bbl; easy). I heard from Jamo that some people have succeeded in getting the BAR examiner to overlook it's metallurgical difference and classify the Shelby as the early block, while others were not. If people could share their experiences good or bad I'd appreciate it, and particularly if there is a BAR inspector/location you had success with I'd appreciate their identity very much. The SB100 is obviously my first choice, but I always sleep better with a plan B.

regards, Mark

Gunner 12-28-2009 03:30 PM

There is basically no option to SB100 as far as smog is concerned. The other options have all expired. A specially constructed vehicle has to obtain an SPCN sequence number to be registered at all; it has to be one of the first 500 issued in the year to qualify for smog exemption.

If you don't get that tag, you'll have to run on what TOPs you can get or have a lovely garage decoration for 2010. The TOP situation varies; you used to be able to get them almost continuously, and I was warned (in October) that I would be unable to get anything but 1- and 2-day tags... but the DMV clerk handed me a 60-day without even being asked. Sooo... both of us need to be in line at a friendly DMV office early on Monday.

cal.cheesehead 12-28-2009 03:34 PM

I took all my paper work to the DMV a week ago to make certain all ws in order. The supervisor told me last year at the end of the day there were still lots of numbers left. Considering the state of the economy this year hopefully will be no different. Good Luck.

Gunner 12-28-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal.cheesehead (Post 1013306)
The supervisor told me last year at the end of the day there were still lots of numbers left. Considering the state of the economy this year hopefully will be no different. Good Luck.

Last year seems to have been an anomaly. In the prior couple of years, SB100 was the new way and there was a backlog of applicants; boom, numbers gone by the end of the first day. I heard that some numbers remained until May of last year - if true, I guess it was because of the downturn and the end of the backlogged applicants.

Between the economy, the amnesty and everything else I don't know what to expect this year. I hope there will be no shortage and that everyone who's got their ducks in a row and applies on the fourth gets a tag. I'll be happy if I walk away with an SB-100 number on Monday, even if it turns out I didn't have to get up at oh-dark-thirty and worry about it so much. :o

I have a DMV appointment tomorrow to pick up my license plates (GUMBAAL - :D) and correct the temporary registration to match the CHP verification, one more minor bump not to have to deal with on Monday. I intend to corner a supervisor and ask a lot of questions if I get the chance.

Steve Gallegos 12-28-2009 04:33 PM

I went to the Pierce collage BAR. The guy looked at my engine and asked me what CI and hp I wanted him to write on the information sheet. He didn't even hook it up to the machine, he said it would fail anyways. He seemed to know how the system worked. For DMV I would go to the Glendale one, Roz is the person to see, she knows what she is doing, a little feisty but alot of fun.
The CHP office in Woodland Hills is where I went. The inspector has a Backdraft, so he knows what going on. Good Luck:D

Excaliber 12-28-2009 04:35 PM

Mark, I would not assume that BAR and the DMV are always on the same page with the same understanding of how it all works. :)

Randy Rosenberg 12-28-2009 04:42 PM

Mark, the BAR is no longer smogging to "year of block" - they used to do that until a year or two ago. Now they smog to "year of build" or SB100 only - those are your only two choices. Given that almost every Ford motor does not meet the current smog requirements when installed in an SPCN (ie: "year of build"), your only choice is SB100.

Good luck,
Randy...

Rick Parker 12-28-2009 05:29 PM

As Mick Jagger says.......... "Paint it Black". You're swimming in dangerous waters.

Got the Bug 12-28-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg (Post 1013335)
Mark, the BAR is no longer smogging to "year of block" - they used to do that until a year or two ago. Now they smog to "year of build" or SB100 only - those are your only two choices. Given that almost every Ford motor does not meet the current smog requirements when installed in an SPCN (ie: "year of build"), your only choice is SB100.

Good luck,
Randy...

Yep. SB100 or the new GM LS3 GreenRod motor is the only answer in CA.

If I was going to build a a new Hotrod in CA, I'd throw one of those LS3 motors in it in a second. SPCNS build, LS3 motor, easily smog every X years no problem.

Randy Rosenberg 12-28-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1013350)
Yep. SB100 or the new GM LS3 GreenRod motor is the only answer in CA.

If I was going to build a a new Hotrod in CA, I'd throw one of those LS3 motors in it in a second. SPCNS build, LS3 motor, easily smog every X years no problem.

HotRod = yes, LS3 in a second. Cobra = no, SB100 only. Can't fit shorty headers and Cat Converter in a Cobra (very easily).

Got the Bug 12-28-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg (Post 1013353)
HotRod = yes, LS3 in a second. Cobra = no, SB100 only. Can't fit shorty headers and Cat Converter in a Cobra (very easily).

True...unless your Cobra is 4 wheel drive. :3DSMILE:

xlr8or 12-28-2009 08:01 PM

I did the SB100 routine this year and the ref didn't put mine on the sniffer either. He just *****ed about needing a closed PCV system. PCV from one valve cover to the intake and breather tube from the other intake to the under side of the air cleaner. Passed the visual on the second trip and got my golden ticket.

xlr8or 12-28-2009 08:03 PM

wouldn't let me edit original post so:

I did the SB100 routine this year and the ref didn't put mine on the sniffer either. He just *****ed about needing a closed PCV system. PCV from one valve cover to the intake and breather tube from the other valve cover to the under side of the air cleaner. Passed the visual on the second trip and got my golden ticket.

RodKnock 12-28-2009 08:08 PM

I went through the SB100 process with my Kirkham and the Shelby aluminum block. At that time (January 2008), they asked whether I wanted "year of block" or "year of build." I chose "year of build" so block was no issue. Of course, that method (year of block) is gone now. Kaput.

Those going on January 4th have no reason to fret. You will get an SB100 #. No one on the 1st day of business in January has been denied, to the best of anyone's knowledge here on Club Cobra.

jhv48 12-28-2009 08:55 PM

Don't fret, there will be plenty of numbers left after the initial rush on January 4th.

The economy is worse and there has been very little chatter about the process on these forums compared to the last few years.

I actually got my number in July of this year. There were about a hundred left until August of this year.

And, new rule, make sure your vented valve cover caps are vented to the air cleaner, or you'll make a second trip to the BAR.

Gunner 12-28-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1013391)
Those going on January 4th have no reason to fret. You will get an SB100 #. No one on the 1st day of business in January has been denied, to the best of anyone's knowledge here on Club Cobra.

I appreciate you saying this even if it's complete BS. :D

I was actually going to ask if anyone knew of anyone ever not getting their tag if they showed up first thing, first day and had their papers in order. I'll take your statement as a no.

ceswert 12-28-2009 10:45 PM

I appreciate all the good info. It's off to the DMV I go. What else will these CA officials change in the future, say with 60's and 70's collector cars? Is my 69 Mach 1 the next target?
Thanks again for the advice.

Gunner 12-28-2009 11:05 PM

All cars before 74 are smog-exempt. There aren't enough of them around any more to care about, excepting collector cars, which aren't any significant safety or smog problem.

PANAVIA 12-28-2009 11:55 PM

Mark, as we discussed , you will be fine. --you Just need to be in line at DMV in santa clara sunday night Jan 3. - (anyone want to rent an RV >?)

If you are there, in line you should get your SB100.

The DMV manager knows her stuff there and we have successfully navigated SB100 several times as a group so it can be done.

This year -- 2010 we are competing with several entities for our SB100s, but with some planing and determination we will get our sequence numbers.

The hobbist who wants to build an electric car from scratch has to use an SB100 sequence number.

all the *amnesty* cases are competing for the SB100 numbers as well, however they are all "one-offs" ---where we are organized!!

If there is interest , I could host a SB100 briefing at the Ranch Saturday AM-PM>?

Doug, Randy , Rod, Dennis, - I will supply the projector and the location (coffee too) if you can supply the co-commentary >?

I will see if I can invite someone from DMV Santa Clara to join. --

let me work on this Tuesday and comment back on this post.

---Steve

PANAVIA 12-28-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 1013412)
All cars before 74 are smog-exempt. There aren't enough of them around any more to care about, excepting collector cars, which aren't any significant safety or smog problem.

DMV is after 1974 and earlier *Trucks* as they are eliciting them as a safety and smog hazard. If you search online you will find references for this.