Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Which Bellhousing and which Starter Motor? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/107742-bellhousing-starter-motor.html)

RestoCreations 11-19-2010 10:27 AM

Which Bellhousing and which Starter Motor?

Lakewood or Quicktime?

Somebody mentioned on the Kirkham assembly manual thread that the quicktime did not require trimming as the lakewood housing does. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, I cannot find the recommended Mcleod starter motor. It has apparently been discontinued. Can someone tell me the part number of another starter motor that will work.

Thanks for holding my hand! **)

blykins 11-19-2010 01:12 PM

A regular Quicktime bellhousing does not require trimming.

There are two versions of the Quicktime, a SFI 6.1 rated bell, and a non-SFI bell. Both will contain a flywheel explosion, but the SFI bell is bolted around the bottom perimeter like a Lakewood. This is done to satsify the SFI 6.1 rules and to get the pretty decal.

If you can tell me which engine you're running, I can make a recommendation for a gear drive starter. CVR makes some great starters for both FE's and SBF's.

I can provide all the parts necessary for this....and since you're a Club Cobra member, you get a discount.

blykins 11-19-2010 01:47 PM

BTW, a few other "pros" for the Quicktime...

1. Half the weight of the Lakewood
2. Smaller "footprint" so it doesn't take up as much room as the Lakewood.

The only con is the higher price, but the higher quality makes up for it.

RestoCreations 11-19-2010 03:15 PM

Shelby 427 Aluminum FE

Thanks

mickmate 11-19-2010 03:47 PM

I'll vote Quicktime for the aforementioned and because they are spot on with alignment and not far off a Lakewood price. No dinking around with offset dowels. Brent be the man for such hardware. Starter me likey the powermaster 9406 but if your getting a Shelby motor that's what they come with.

Excaliber 11-19-2010 05:46 PM

Seems to me the Shelby block requires a smaller geared type starter, other wise, I'd recommend an OEM Ford starter. Cheap and they work fine, but it won't fit. :)

blykins 11-19-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RestoCreations (Post 1090733)
Shelby 427 Aluminum FE

Thanks

CVR makes a nice little starter for the FE. It's gear driven, 4.4:1 gear ratio, with a mount that can rotate for clearance where you need it. I use these starters on all of my SBF and FE builds.

If you would like some prices, you can PM me or shoot me an email.

patrickt 11-19-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1090765)
CVR makes a nice little starter for the FE. It's gear driven, 4.4:1 gear ratio, with a mount that can rotate for clearance where you need it. I use these starters on all of my SBF and FE builds.

Am I right that the CVR starters only use the bottom two starter motor bolts and not the third bolt up top? Why is that?

blykins 11-19-2010 07:10 PM

I don't think so....they are a two bolt starter so that they can replace either an existing 2 or 3 bolt starter. But you should be able to clock the base anywhere you want and put the bolts at top and bottom.

patrickt 11-19-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1090771)
I don't think so....they are a two bolt starter so that they can replace either an existing 2 or 3 bolt starter. But you should be able to clock the base anywhere you want and put the bolts at top and bottom.

It says they have 5 to 18 different positions they can rotate in to -- that would seemingly make the installation much easier than the old OEM job that I have (retail <$50). That would be worth the extra C-Note that it costs.