Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Brushed Kirkham + salt air. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/110063-brushed-kirkham-salt-air.html)

soulman 04-09-2011 01:11 AM

Brushed Kirkham + salt air.

Hi Guys,

My Kirkham lives in a CarCoon and i live on a salt water front, property .

Troubles is although i WD40 Regularly i get a lot of oxidation , although i can scotch brite most of it out , not sure its a good idea all the time....... do not want to find out one day i have gone too far !!!

Considered and purchased Shark hide but too scared to use it on all the car.

Is this normal ?? what are my options ??

Thanks in advance.

Soul.

Jerry Clayton 04-09-2011 07:05 AM

by the salt, you need a fiberglass car

mreid 04-09-2011 09:19 AM

I'd say paint it. I mean all the originals had paint. I too would worry about the constant need to remove oxidation knowing that a tiny part of the body was being removed with each pass of the scotchbrite.

CobraEd 04-09-2011 09:27 AM

If you have the saly misted air as is typical by most beachfronts, I would be worried about the inside of the body panels as well as just what you are seeing on the outside. You can paint the outside like an original, but you can't paint the inside now that its built.

SP01715 04-09-2011 11:12 AM

I use Sharkshide on my pontoon boat and it will definitely protect the aluminum. If you like the look of Sharkshide it is easy to apply. You have to make sure the aluminum is clean and free of blemishes (sp) or you will be able to see them through the Sharkshide. You can always remove it with an acid wash if you want to down the road.

RodKnock 04-09-2011 12:58 PM

Move?

Won't salt also be bad for paint?

soulman 04-09-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP01715 (Post 1121734)
I use Sharkshide on my pontoon boat and it will definitely protect the aluminum. If you like the look of Sharkshide it is easy to apply. You have to make sure the aluminum is clean and free of blemishes (sp) or you will be able to see them through the Sharkshide. You can always remove it with an acid wash if you want to down the road.

Thanks,

What do you mean by the look of it ??

Is it not meant to be a transparent finish ??

Getting it off with acid wash !!! Thats gotta be scary.

Soul.