Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   How to remove Water spots from polished body...? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/114595-how-remove-water-spots-polished-body.html)

Stephan427SC 03-01-2012 09:27 AM

How to remove Water spots from polished body...?

Hi Boys,
can anyone tell me the best way to remove older water-spots (rain) from my polished aluminium body of KMP218X ?

Thanks,
Stephan

JBCOBRA 03-01-2012 09:46 AM

with paint...just kidding LOL

RodKnock 03-01-2012 11:07 AM

How does one get water spots out from paint? Polish it.

Polish

Metal Polishing Equipment : Auto Detailing Supplies : Electric Car Polishers : Airplane Polish : Auto Polisher : Aluminum : Polishers and Buffers : PerfectPolish.com

bobcowan 03-01-2012 11:57 AM

A water spot (on anything) is the impurities left behind when the water evaporates. Think of it like baked on dirt. You'll have to clean it first.

On bare aluminum, it also includes corrosion from the oxidation reduction reaction of the water on the aluminum. Once it's clean you'll have to remove the corroded/pitted/rusted surface, and get down to a new clean smooth surface.

TimG427 03-02-2012 09:34 AM

The bottom of my aluminum hood was stained with coolant. I hit it with Scotch Bright pads and polished it with Mothers Aluminum polish. It did the trick.

Igofastr 03-02-2012 04:24 PM

Pretty much gotta sand it out (use a Scotch brite, or whatever).

Don't use kitchen pot and pan cleaner, ask me how I know :).

Tim Brewer 03-02-2012 08:47 PM

Kinda like others have somewhat said....polish,polish and repolish. Instead of a quick wax on a painted car, you'll have to polish. After you polish though, you need to apply an aluminum sealer to help the shine last longer. Messy job.

Bill Wallace 03-04-2012 12:15 PM

I would recommend polishing the spots out with Nuvite "S" grade metal polish with a fleece wrap. You can acquire both from PerfectPolish.com.

Good luck!

WardL 03-04-2012 09:05 PM

I had some major water spots that were calcium deposits on my tonneau cover and body paint (SPF Fiberglass). Regular old Vinegar removed the spots very nicely. I don't know if it would be different on aluminium, but I wouldn't think so.

eschaider 03-05-2012 12:48 AM

+1^ Before any type of abrasive. Vinegar removes almost all of those spots because they are calcium deposits left when the water evaporates. The vinegar dissolves the calcium without abrading the surface. This is a much preferred solution.

Ed