Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Static cling sticks? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/125568-static-cling-sticks.html)

BMK 01-15-2014 10:24 PM

Static cling sticks?

I was considering the static cling decals for the Cobra..:confused:

Anyone used them on brushed aluminum.

Do they stick and hang on..:confused:

Thanks for any thoughts.

Static Vintage decals from Finishline...:cool:

fordracing65 01-15-2014 10:44 PM

No no no no no no no no, you need stickers or painted...:cry::jekylhyde

BMK 01-16-2014 01:57 AM

Yes I have one on now and it seems to have stuck, but I thought I had seen that they blow off.....

fordracing65 01-16-2014 05:54 AM

How fast have you gone with it on???:confused:

AKA EDDY 01-16-2014 06:44 AM

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCN1526.jpg

It clings to paint very good.

BMK 01-16-2014 01:04 PM

Yes it's just in the garage now so have not been out.

I have a few full sets of sticker decals and will put them on...

FatBoy 01-16-2014 02:52 PM

They stick in a fashion to polished aluminium but they just blow off in the breeze on brushed. Ask me how I know. :(

I stuck them on with spray adhesive before I had the body polished and that seemed to work well enough and they peeled off easily enough when I wanted to remove them.

Paul

BMK 01-16-2014 04:28 PM

Thanks Paul,

I have two sets left over of static clings from my GT40.

Think I can just attach them if displaying the car at a show. So may just attach them when I arrive and take them off -easy.

For the long haul I will use the sticker/decals.

Thanks again.

750hp 01-17-2014 08:08 AM

Bernie - I was about to order a set of decals, but if you have a spare set that you want to sell, please let me know.
I don't mind if they're used and generally a bit roughed up, because that will just add to the patina of the car!
Cheers

Tom Wells 01-17-2014 09:54 AM

I just wet the cling stickers with Windex but I'm pretty sure water would work. These go on the painted surface.

If they are left to dry after being squeegeed (always wanted to use that word) for 24 hours, they stay on well. Mine have been over 140 mph at Daytona and Sebring and none have come off.

I've watched folks arrive and put on the stickers, then watched as they flew off due to the still-damp area where they are put on.

Oh, I did lose one; I left the car out overnight. It was covered with a thick coating of dew - the paint was thoroughly wet; one flew off when I got onto the interstate highway. I found I could move the others so I took them off too. The dry ones won't slide!

Tom

CBattaglia 01-17-2014 05:13 PM

From a different perspective, they are thin. They show the white stripes on the hood and trunk of my indigo blue with white stripes cobra. It looks cheesy so I only put them on the sides.

FatBoy 01-18-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wells (Post 1281068)
I just wet the cling stickers with Windex but I'm pretty sure water would work. These go on the painted surface.

If they are left to dry after being squeegeed (always wanted to use that word) for 24 hours, they stay on well. Mine have been over 140 mph at Daytona and Sebring and none have come off.

I've watched folks arrive and put on the stickers, then watched as they flew off due to the still-damp area where they are put on.

Oh, I did lose one; I left the car out overnight. It was covered with a thick coating of dew - the paint was thoroughly wet; one flew off when I got onto the interstate highway. I found I could move the others so I took them off too. The dry ones won't slide!

Tom

Hi Tom,

That's all well and good on a painted car, but it doesn't hold true for a brushed aluminium car I'm afraid, which it what was being asked.

Paul

BMK 01-18-2014 02:33 AM

I have a full set of static cling which I will place on wet and dry off at events. Using them this way only.

I have just added Rookie Stripes and four decals/stickers each side - sticker decals.

FatBoy 01-19-2014 12:49 AM

"rookie stripes" ?

Are you referring to the coloured stripes over the front wings (fenders)? :)

Tom Wells 01-19-2014 05:36 AM

FatBoy,

Quote:

it doesn't hold true for a brushed aluminium car
I defer to experience :o

Tom

750hp 01-19-2014 05:41 AM

So Bernie are you going to sell me your spare set?
You don't need duplicates, so help me to unclutter your life...! ;)