Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Tremec Transmission Mounts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/59930-tremec-transmission-mounts.html)

The Dreamer 04-03-2005 04:20 PM

Maurice,

There are two gears to work the speedometer. The drive gear on the tranny output shaft and the cable gear. You would need to take off the tail housing on the tranny to get to the drive gear. I thought about using a left hand cable gear, but I thought I would need to use a left hand drive gear as well. I didn't want to take the tranny apart to install the drive gear. Are you saying you used a left hand cable gear with the drive gear that was install on the car?

maurice19 04-03-2005 06:01 PM

Entdoc,

I got the trans drive gear from a small trans. shop here in Sac. I don`t have their name in my memory, but I think I can find it by looking at my notes.
I do remember it was white with 7 teeth and was meant for an earlier 4 speed.

Let me know if you need me to dig out the info for you.

What have you done on your Kirkham?

Maurice

maurice19 04-03-2005 06:15 PM

Hi Dreamer,

Yes, I did have to take the tailshaft off to gain access for the gear switch. Tom Kirkham suggested this method for me instead of the reverser.
Thank goodness I did it before the install, as I all ready removed the trans from the car twice, once for the welder and later to check the hyd. connections (just a little loose).

By using the passenger side gear(right side?) on the driver side of the Tremec, the speedometer is automatically reversed.

I matched that gear with a solid pink 19 tooth gear on the end of the cable for my rear end and tire combo.

Now , to get it on the road to work out bugs, maybe Tues as it `s supposed to rain here tomorrow.

See you,
Maurice

David Kirkham 04-04-2005 02:43 PM

Gents:

I figure now is as good a time as any to let you all know the speedo cable out of a Cobra was from a 1965 Mustang with a 3 speed transmission, (manual).

Let me know how these projects turn out. I love to see the pics!

Call or drop me a line with any questions or problems and I will be happy to help out.

David :):):)

ENTDOC 04-04-2005 02:56 PM

I do not see any way around cutting the support tube on the chassis to get a speedo cable or a reverser hooked up to the speedo. Mine is actually touching the down tube. I guess you could notch it.

Maurice, I have really just started in earnest working on it, even though I have had it awhile. I have been finishing my other project.

chuck

maurice19 04-04-2005 04:21 PM

Hi guys,

I just took my first ride around the block to check out the action.

What an awesome ride, and speedometer worked.

No water temp yet, have to check that out.

Endtoc, my speedo cable also touches the tube, but it finally fit.

Maurice

David Kirkham 04-22-2005 05:06 PM

Maurice,

Did you get the temperature problem fixed? Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

xlr8or 04-22-2005 05:58 PM

Chuck mine has the same problem. it appears that the bottom of the dash panel was pushed in a little and that contributed to it. I was also considering a little manual manipulation of the down tube to get more clearance.

David Kirkham 04-22-2005 07:21 PM

Chuck, XL,

If you are having problems with the speedo, just send the baby back and we will check it out to see what is going on. We will fix whatever issue we find. I hadn't heard anything on this lately, so I figured you had it handled. WRONG! Let me know and we will be happy to fix it or make it work for you! The original dashes were very tight there and so if it is even a little bit off it can cause a problem. Just let me know how we can fix it.

GregN 04-22-2005 07:36 PM

David,

In a previous posting the author said that the tko600 needs to be a short shaft trans in order for the mount to work. Is this true. I am installing a tko 600 in a 4000 series shelby with the standard shaft trans with an adapter to effectively shorten the shaft entering the bellhousing. Will your trans mount work in my case?

Thank You,

Greg

The Dreamer 04-23-2005 10:18 AM

Greg,

I think the Shelbys have provisions for mounting a Tremec. This was not the case, until recently, for the Kirkhams. On the Shelbys I have seen, the mounting method is totally different than used on the Kirkhams, but they used the adapter. That is not to say you can't use the short shaft TKO because that is a fairly new product as well. You would really need to contact a Shelby dealer or assembler to tell you about your options.

maurice19 04-23-2005 10:19 AM

David,

Everything is good with the temp gauge, started working right after my post.
Wouldn`t you know it?

#318 now has 580 miles on it. Very happy with it.

Thanks for responding
Maurice

David Kirkham 04-23-2005 11:53 AM

Maurice,

Gals to see everything is correctly working. Don't hesitate to call or drop me a line if you have any questions.

GregN,

I am not sure what Shelby is or isn't doing right now with their transmission mounts. If it is an aluminum bodied car that we made and someone didn't cut out the crossmember then we may be able to help you.

Our mount requires the short input shaft conversion for the tranny. The adapter soloution that just pushes the tranny back won't work. You need to save yourself the grief and just change the input shaft. It is not really that big of a deal to change the input shaft.

David Kirkham 04-28-2005 04:34 PM

Gents;

Our latest generation of Tremec 600 mounts will use a 1/2 inch bolt. I guess we just got a little carried away when we saw the differential with the 5/8 bolts in it.

Just trying to save weight!

David :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: