Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   FE Motor Mounts - (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/97639-fe-motor-mounts.html)

undy 07-14-2010 07:41 AM

The LSC mount used for FEs is a 1964, 65 and 66 full size ford (Galaxy) FE mount. There IS NOT a polyurethane mount available for it. Ask me how I know... ANY other mount WILL require modification to LSC's frame PERIOD.

FUNFER2 02-05-2018 01:38 PM

Has any company come up with a polyurethane mount for the LSC Cobra ?

undy 02-05-2018 01:58 PM

Not to my knowledge, I made a set of solid mounts and have been using them for years.

David Kirkham 02-05-2018 02:21 PM

I would imagine our mounts should be pretty easy to get to fit in another chassis. They pivot through a center bolt so they have a wide range of where they can mount. We have sold a ton of them.

We even make a mount that is 1/2" lower than normal for guys with tall motors (High Risers, Cammers, etc.)

David
:):):)

Grubby 02-05-2018 03:34 PM

I am finishing up the molds to cast Polyurethane ERA style mounts. I poured a test set in 80 durometer, but think 94 durometer may work better.

My goal is to eliminate contact between the left header and the body.

John

FUNFER2 02-05-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirkham (Post 1437826)
I would imagine our mounts should be pretty easy to get to fit in another chassis. They pivot through a center bolt so they have a wide range of where they can mount. We have sold a ton of them.

David, I haven't checked Undy's mounts out, but I beleive him. But, your pivot sounds like it my work on our Cobra's. Please post a information and photo link.

We even make a mount that is 1/2" lower than normal for guys with tall motors (High Risers, Cammers, etc.)

David
:):):)

I wish I had known that you have a 1/2" lower mount, back some years ago. My air cleaner hit my hood so the 1/2" would have solved it. I did make a change though after I scuffed my paint.

CSX 4133 02-05-2018 05:51 PM

FE mounts:
Motor Mounts - Olthoff Racing

FUNFER2 02-09-2018 07:20 AM

I'm looking at the Kirkham mounts, but are these the exact one's for the LSC ?
They look like mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Moun...NZ9gU5&vxp=mtr

FUNFER2 02-09-2018 07:23 AM

ERA-

Engine Mount Motion Restrictor
To prevent excessive motion and/or shear failure in the left engine mount, a bolt may be put through the mount as shown.

Drill a 7/16" hole all the way through the mount where indicated.
Insert a 7/16" x 2"L bolt through from the engine side. You may have to "screw" the bolt through the rubber portion where it contricts because of non-perfect drilling.
Install a stover (locking) nut on the chassis side so that there is about 0.010" end play. For competition you may want to tighten the nut to zero clearance. No washers are necessary.
Mount modification
Two views

FUNFER2 02-09-2018 07:28 AM

Pic did not upload above ?

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/en...tmod/index.htm

jwoodard 02-10-2018 09:12 AM

Craigs Cobras makes a nice set of polyurethane style mounts : https://www.craigscobras.com/parts/mounts/index.htm

undy 02-11-2018 04:33 AM

Lone star uses a very proprietary mount. None of these mounts will work without MAJOR modifications to the frame. I've been through this with mine.

Grubby 02-11-2018 07:30 AM

It seems ERA uses the same mounts as LSC. I couldn't find urethane mounts either, so I made some. Here is my picture gallery -

URL to my clubcobra posting with pictures is linked.http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-...-here-diy.html

The first pair was made with one time use plaster of Paris molds. I removed the vulcanized rubber from a new pair of mounts and poured in 80 durometer polyurethane. I decided to use the bolt thru as recommended by ERA as an insurance against failure of the mount. I used it on both the Left and Right. Just leave the bolt slightly loose and it has not impact on harshness.

I am finishing up some fiberglass molds and plan to make several sets of motor mounts out of both 80 and 94 durometer polyurethane.

I have had two ERAs and observed several others that the Left headers slightly contact the body. My theory is that the polyurethane mounts will stop the contact.

The contact seems to be caused by excessive stretching of the LH mount and excessive compression of the RH mount. The LH mount can be easily fixed with the limiting bolt modification. The RH mount is the tougher one to fix, without making it more resistant to compression.

I considered welding a limiting feature inside the motor mounts and than casting over it. Much like is done on many other cars. It is a lot of extra work and doesn't accomplish anything more than limiting bolts will do. Plus the limiting bolts are adjustable. If you tighten the LH bolt it completely eliminates stretching of the mount.

John

FUNFER2 02-11-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undy (Post 1438174)
Lone star uses a very proprietary mount. None of these mounts will work without MAJOR modifications to the frame. I've been through this with mine.

I don't have my LSC here, so I can't look at it, but it sucks that a better made mount can't be used without major sugery. :mad:

Do you have a photo bud ?

undy 02-12-2018 06:21 AM

Photo of what?

I've not modified the LSC's frame. I simply made a set of solid steel mounts.

FUNFER2 02-12-2018 08:09 AM

Photo of your mount's....

undy 02-12-2018 02:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 31440

Attachment 31441

Attachment 31442

Attachment 31443

Grubby 02-12-2018 03:44 PM

Undy,

I like those mounts. That was exactly one of the improvement options I considered.

My only concern with solid mounts is stress cracks in the frame over time.

John

FUNFER2 02-13-2018 10:05 AM

Ok, so it's a solid block of steel that you drilled two offset holes that bolts to the frame and a plate with three holes on top.
What are the three holes for ? Please explain with details.

undy 02-13-2018 11:35 AM

No, I simply caged a stock motor mount in with 1/8" x 1" strap steel and mig welded it all together.