Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lone-star-classics-speak-dennis-steve/)
-   -   Lone star overflow tank (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lone-star-classics-speak-dennis-steve/69616-lone-star-overflow-tank.html)

rblong 05-17-2006 07:54 PM

Lone star overflow tank

Ok you Lone Star guys - I assume the small black plastic tank next to the radiator is the radiator overflow? I pulled mine to get access to make my new shroud and the bottom hose fitting is broken off. I always thought the thing looked cheap and might be useless. Is it what I think it is? Is there a better option? I am sure I can get another from LS, but I don't like where it is either.

Any help?

Bruce

Barnsnake 05-17-2006 09:46 PM

The coolant recovery tank that LoneStar supplied me is whitish-clear and shaped a bit like a banana. It came in a Ford box. I think you can see it in one of the pictures in my gallery.

392cobra 05-18-2006 04:38 AM

I'm using a Griffin overflow container.Very good quality.First and only one I've had.

http://griffinrad.com/overflow_tank.php

trularin 05-18-2006 05:47 AM

I got mine from Summit. It is an aluminum cylinder with mounting ears and works very well.

I drilled and tapped the right shock tower ( if you want to call it that ) and put braces between the tank and the tower. It sits right in front of the Alternator, so, it may not work for your setup if you are running a shroud.

I put a purge hose from the neck to the tank and let the overflow run out the bottom of the car, if it ever does.

What ever one you end up with, get one that is of good quality and will mount well int he engine compartment. You do not want one that will come loose.

Just my $0.02

rblong 05-18-2006 07:12 AM

Thanks guys - I will do some looking at the options. I never liied the look of the plastic one anyway.

B

rblong 05-22-2006 07:13 PM

Ok guys, put everything back together minus the tank since mine was trash. I noticed I had to add a little less than a pint to the radiator after this weekends driving. Thought I must not have gotten it filled correctly, but tonight after a run I noticed a little trickled from the overflow hose so I will need to install the overflow tank.

Here is my question - does it have to be below the radiator cap? Mine was hidden next to the radiator and you could not get to it. Can I move it to where it is at or slightly above the radiator? I can't see why not but I am not sure - that's why I am asking.

Any help?

Bruce

Barnsnake 05-22-2006 09:19 PM

Under operating circumstances it won't matter. When "servicing" it might.

The recovery tank should always have some coolant in it to replace any air that gets pushed out of the engine/radiator. If the coolant level in the overflow tank is above the radiator cap, it will drain the tank down to the radiator cap level if/when you remove the radiator cap.