Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Lounge (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   European, Asian Markets Plunge (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/84627-european-asian-markets-plunge.html)

cobra de capell 01-21-2008 08:15 AM

European, Asian Markets Plunge

European, Asian Markets Plunge
Monday January 21, 10:30 am ET
By Toby Anderson, AP Business Writer
European, Asian Markets Plunge Amid Pessimism Over US Stimulus Plan

LONDON (AP) -- European and Asian stock markets plunged Monday following declines on Wall Street last week amid investor pessimism over the U.S. government's stimulus plan to prevent a recession.

The U.K. benchmark FTSE-100 dropped 3.9 percent to 5,673.1; France's CAC-40 Index plunged 4.5 percent to 4,861.2, while Germany's slumped 5.35 percent to 6,922.7.

In Asia, India's benchmark stock index tumbled 7.4 percent, while Hong Kong's blue-chip Hang Seng index plummeted 5.5 percent to 23,818.86, its biggest percentage drop since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Snip........European, Asian Markets Plunge: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
____

Yes, it's the long haul in the market that matters, but the DOW futures are down 400 points as I post it - so, your 401K and IRA funds are in for a surprise tomorrow!

Ron61 01-21-2008 09:24 AM

:(

And according to what I have been seeing and reading it is going to get worse before everything bottoms out.
I saw three more For Rent signs go up here over the weekend. One of the houses the people had lived in for years. I guess they are raising the rent now to get the people who lose their homes on foreclosures.

Ron :confused:

Wayne Maybury 01-21-2008 10:50 AM

The TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange) is down almost 600 points today alone. It fell 200 to 300 each day last week. We keep hearing that the Canadian economy is solid and that it is the weak US economy that is dragging us down but our markets are getting hit worse than those in the US.

Watch out for higher food costs in the coming months as corn (mainly driven by fuel alcohol) wheat, and many other grains are very expensive right now. About the only bright spot is that oil is now well below $90 a barrel, and falling.

Wayne

Ron61 01-21-2008 11:00 AM

Wayne,

The DOW is closed today but it has dropped almost 2,000 points in the past few weeks and is most likely going to keep dropping for a while. Food and everything else around here is going up daily. I swear when you go to the market and have stuff in a basket they have clerks chasing the baskets to stamp the new price on whatever you have in them. Even our politicians in Washington have finally admitted that the economy is in trouble. And that is like training a rock to talk to you. :rolleyes:

Ron :confused:

CobraEd 01-21-2008 12:01 PM

I kinda saw this coming about 6 months ago. Put 3/4 on my $$ in CDs, Now the principal can never be touched, and I am making 5% growth day after day.

It is the tortise vs the hare approach to investing that works right now.

Of course with $11.45 in total savings, it really doesn't matter :LOL:

Wes Tausend 01-21-2008 01:13 PM

I think we're going to be OK. :D
If nothing else my local newspaper published the recipe for making money... new $50 bills that is:

"A man is accused of making and using counterfeit money to buy items at several Bismarck stores, including a $600 flat screen television and several DVDs.

Donald Heck, of Bismarck, is charged in federal court with two counts of making and passing counterfeit bills. Authorities said he made about 21 phony $50 bills.

Heck has not been asked to enter a plea. Defense attorney Jeffrey Viken, the lead public defender in North Dakota and South Dakota, did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Authorities said Heck removed the ink from $5 bills by rubbing them with "Purple Power degreaser" and placing them in a microwave oven for five minutes. Heck copied the color image of a genuine $50 bill taped to the cleaned $5 bill, the complaint said.

Heck told investigators he used the counterfeit money at CVS Pharmacy, Subway, Spencers, McDonald's and Target stores in Bismarck. He said he bought the flat screen TV at Target, the complaint said.

- Associated Press "
From ( Bismarck Tribune - North Dakota News - Man accused of passing fake bills ).

Seems like a relatively low investment in common household ingredients and tools. :LOL:

cobra de capell 01-21-2008 01:53 PM

Well, whatever fifties that you have may end up being worth about the same as the fake ones - DOW futures down 515, DOW at 11,591 if that actually happens tomorrow when it opens.

Ron61 01-22-2008 02:11 AM

From the looks of the headlines this morning, the DOW is most likely going to start in a hole and just go deeper. I talked to my cousin in Arkansas yesterday and he said that they had been getting $1.90 a pound for beef when they sold some and the price for meat in the stores back there is almost as high as out here. He was going to sell some more but the best they could get was .80¢ a pound so he kept it and they will butcher them and keep the meat for themselves. There is sure a big gain in price from the farmer to the stores.

Ron :(

392cobra 01-22-2008 01:17 PM

Carroll Shelby Intl Inc is up 6.67%%/

imagine2frolic 01-23-2008 05:02 AM

FFFRRREEEEDDDDD,

What happened to your chest?:confused::confused::LOL::LOL:

Wayne Maybury 01-23-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 392cobra (Post 807360)
Carroll Shelby Intl Inc is up 6.67%%/

Was that about a 5 cent increase? :LOL::eek::LOL::eek:

Does she (avitar) ever get tired of doing that? :rolleyes:%/:LOL::p

While the TSX was down over 500 points on Monday, it gained back most of that yesterday. Sure is lots of turmoil in the markets these days. The Asian markets were up over night but the European markets were trending downwards.

Wayne

392cobra 01-24-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Maybury (Post 807564)
Was that about a 5 cent increase? :LOL::eek::LOL::eek:

Does she (avitar) ever get tired of doing that? :rolleyes:%/:LOL::p

Wayne

2.5 cent jump .
Bad day yesterday,it dropped 2.5 cents. 6.5%

She is a big fan of Red Bull.It's all good.:LOL:

Wayne Maybury 01-24-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 392cobra (Post 807890)
She is a big fan of Red Bull.It's all good.:LOL:

She appears to have great talent. :LOL::rolleyes::LOL::rolleyes:

392cobra 01-24-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Maybury (Post 807901)
She appears to have great talent. :LOL::rolleyes::LOL::rolleyes:

Yes she does.:LOL:

Shelby is UP 20% ! 7.5 cents

Wayne,the symbol is CSBI if interested.

I bought some a few years ago to get the Stock Certificate with his signature.