Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Members FAQs and questions about Cobra Businesses (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/members-faqs-questions-about-cobra-businesses/)
-   -   What am I getting into? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/members-faqs-questions-about-cobra-businesses/20874-what-am-i-getting-into.html)

captainboomer 10-08-2002 09:15 PM

What am I getting into?

I moving from old Vettes to a Cobra. I considering a CMC. I have heard of their poor business history, but what about the quality of the vehicle. Any advise is greatly appreciated

Jeff Frigo 10-08-2002 09:44 PM

Run as fast as you can. They can be made to look nice, but there are so man better kits out there, why put yourself through the hastle. They are now known as Street Beasts. If you want to build something inexpensive (around $25k), look at an FFR. Do a search on CMC, there is a lot of info. here. Welcome to CC.

captainboomer 10-08-2002 10:00 PM

Thanks for you input Jeff. This one is was justed finished and he was willing to take a 2000 vette convertible as trade. I trying to learn what I can, but have been over whelmed with al the various companies. Thanks again, and I'll keep looking

Steve

xlr8or 10-08-2002 11:33 PM

I bet he was willing to take that trade.
I have seen a couple of the street beast cars and you should get in the vette and run. I was looking at those last year and when I got to see a couple up close I was convinced that it was not what I wanted.
"In my opinion" the glass work was very poor. All chopper gun and way too thick. I was also equally unimpressed with the quality of looks of the welds on the frame. Just too sloppy in my opinion.

Scott

Excaliber 10-08-2002 11:38 PM

yeah,,,it is over whelming. Some things that are "must have" for me, and can be HARD to find on LOTS of "kit" Cobras are:

Four wheel disc brakes (sounds simple enough, surprised how many Cobras don't have them)!

EXCELLENT paint, (very good won't cut it anymore).

Maximum adjustment on all suspension components. LIKE, can you change ride height in the front with a "wrench"? Or would you HAVE to replace front springs (what a hassle that is)! Live axle rear is ok, but AT LEAST spring "jacks" for ride height adj. Posi traction rear end (of course)!

Stick shift (auto is good for some people, just not me)!

Sway bars, front and rear (no excuses, I MUST have them)!

STREETABLE!!!! I don't want to carry "race mix fuel" in the trunk to mix with "pump gas" when I fill up. I don't want to have to worry about "over heating" issues when I get stuck in traffic, etc.

Big block vs Small block. Tough one! If SB, no smaller than 351W with some good HP mods! If it's a Big block, I want it set far back toward the rear and PLENTY heat insulation on the fire wall. NO bigger than 428 (bored\stroked OK) for me please. OH YEAH, MUST BE FORD POWER (for ME, now, it's OK if YOU want Chevy or what ever)!

LEATHER interior, vinyl won't cut it.

4 speed is good, original and all that, BUT I want a 5 speed.

No whimpy THIN fiber glass body, (there out there), got to be a THICK quality glass body. Hey, I'm not rich here, of course I want Aluminum. Who doesn't? OK, scratch that last question or wait till I get my helmet on before you blast me.

Man, I could write a BOOK about what to look for in buying a used a Cobra!

Oh yeah, (I keep thinking of more MUST HAVES).

Got to be light weight! No stinking 2900 lb cars for me! My target is 2600 WET,,,,well,,,,,2700 MAX MAX MAX! 2300 is more like it!

This is sounding more and more like JBL specs,,,,,,,,,,,hmmmmm.

Would be nice to have:
Soft top with windows, hardtop too! Throw in a tanneu cover.

Chrome,,,,I like chrome. Side pipes, roll bar.....

Ernie

captainboomer 10-08-2002 11:51 PM

Scott and Ernie thanks. Jeff I got the article you sent. can y'all recommend a manufactor that can be trusted and I need a factory build machine. I would rather pay more to get the best.

Steve

Jeff Frigo 10-09-2002 12:04 AM

My opinion, but many will agree. If you are looking for a glass car, ERA is cosidered the best, if you need an aluminum car, Kirkham is the way to go. Shelby also does aluminum cars, but has the bodies and chassis made by Kirkham, and charges about $20k more. Only problem with ERA is their wait, about 8 months I believe. You can usually find a slightly used ERA that is in perfect condition though.

The other choise for a new turnkey minus (less engine and transmission) glass car is a Superformance. Could probably get you in a couple of months, also used ones to be found quite readily.

New turnkey ERA about $60k to $65k (427 sideoiler FE)
New turnkey Kirkham about $90k to $95k (427 sideoiler FE)

Guys: Correct my prices if I am off.

Excaliber 10-09-2002 12:12 AM

Jeff
ERA's and SPF's "TYPICALLY" have my above mentioned specs? I know there is always an exception to the "standard" build specs.

Ernie