Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Mid-America Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/mid-america-cobra-club/)
-   -   427 pcv question !! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/mid-america-cobra-club/100793-427-pcv-question.html)

tchrome 11-11-2009 03:59 PM

427 pcv question !!

%/hey guys, i need some help with the i guess pcv outlet in the back of the manifold located on my 1964 ford 427 with dual quads. It almost looks like a thermostat housing base and has a little tube sicking up out of the middle of it. I guess it had a hose or tube that went to the bottom of the stock oval air filter base. I removed the cover with the tube on it and there is a skeletonized basket that sits down in the manifold. What was in that basket? A filter? A screen of some kind? And whatever it was, can i get it somewhere? This is mmy first experience with the 427 i am putting in my cobra and i would appreciate any help i can get on this. I am running the 2 four barrels with individual stelling air filters on them. So where is the best place to run the pcv tube now? Anysuggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rick Parker 11-11-2009 04:08 PM

It had (has) a sort of filter media made of shreaded metal like one of the scrubbing pads used in the kitchen sink (ask your wife) but different from steel wool. The replacements are available and also come up on EBAY too.

tchrome 11-11-2009 04:32 PM

Thanks rick, i kind of thought that was probably the case, but just wasn't sure. I will get on ebay and see what i can fnd. Is there a technical name for this part? I have been calling it a pcv filter. But what might work better for a search? Thanks again for your time and help rick.

Tony

lovehamr 11-11-2009 06:27 PM

Tony, take a look here on Gessford's site. http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/fintakes.htm Take a look at the "Adapted For Dove PCV Plate or Rear Breather/canister system," this is what I'm using and the canister is almost to pretty to stick under the Dove PCV plate!:LOL:

Steve

tchrome 11-12-2009 06:42 AM

hey steve, thanks so much. it looks great to me. looks like the way i wanna go. good choice and thanks again for your time.

tony

RodgerH 11-12-2009 07:54 AM

Tony,

Just to let you know, Gessford no longer uses the Dove assembly, they now have their own.

http://www.gessford.com/cobra/images/KERN-01444.JPG

I recently purchased this new one, great piece, much nicer finish than before.

Rodger

RodgerH 11-12-2009 07:59 AM

Does anyone know where to get the gasket for this? NAPA can't find it.

I gave up and used the blue locktite gasket sealer.

Rodger

elmariachi 11-12-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodgerH (Post 1000623)
Does anyone know where to get the gasket for this? NAPA can't find it. I gave up and used the blue locktite gasket sealer.
Rodger

I cut mine from gasket paper and it works great with a dab of Right Stuff gasket maker.

lovehamr 11-12-2009 09:02 AM

My instructions (scribled on the back of the breather plate) say use hi temp RTV. So I just used "The Right Stuff," no gasket. I just got my parts about 2 months ago and mine is the Dove unit. Could be because I wanted as cast/no polish though.

Steve

tchrome 11-12-2009 01:44 PM

roger, thans bro...nice looking part. how much was it? finish line has a breather pipe that just sticks up with a cap on it, but i think this is better. again, thanks for the info. and for your time.

tony

RodgerH 11-12-2009 02:08 PM

Tony,

Price was $78. Included the machined aluminum basket with SS filter mesh, and top plate with PCV valve and rubber grommet. Mine is machined and polished; just as shown in the picture. Looks and works great.

You should really consider a PCV valve over an open breather. There are numerous threads here on CC explaining why. Do a search using "PCV".

Rodger

RodgerH 11-12-2009 02:14 PM

Tony,

It sounds like Steve was able to get the rough cast Dove unit from Gessford. If you order one, be sure to specify which one you want.

Rodger

tchrome 11-12-2009 05:09 PM

you made a believer out of me. i called gessford today and i ordered the same one you have. did you run the hose from the pcv valve to the fitting in the back of the intake manifold? like in the pic you sent me. it looks like a neat and clean set up. thanks again for your help and information. thanks again and have a great thanksgiving holiday!

tony

RodgerH 11-13-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchrome (Post 1000732)
did you run the hose from the pcv valve to the fitting in the back of the intake manifold? like in the pic you sent me. it looks like a neat and clean set up.

Tony,
Yes, I ran the hose to a port on the back of the intake plenum, just below the carb. It was a tight bend, but I found a PCV hose at NAPA with a molded bend that fit perfectly. I usually write down p/n's for everything I buy, but no joy on this. Sorry...but your installation may be different anyway.

Happy thanksgiving to you too! :)
Rodger

tchrome 11-13-2009 06:46 AM

i know what you mean. i write down all part #'s as well. everything we use is usually the end product of a long and exhausting search. so keeping the #'s is an important move. i just did it all with the 351 cleveland engine i had in the car. and it was hard enough just finding cleveland parts, let alone not knowing the #'s. now with the 427 i find it easier to get parts, but the experimenting continues. i just ordered the gessford parts. i thank you again. take care and if there is ever anything you need out of south florida, or i can help you in anyway, please don't hesitate to call me or email. best regards
tony