Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   New England Cobra Enthusiasts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/new-england-cobra-enthusiasts/)
-   -   Big Boo Boo (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/new-england-cobra-enthusiasts/134934-big-boo-boo.html)

johngruz 10-22-2015 06:16 AM

Big Boo Boo

I almost set the Cobra on FIRE.. I use an old ploy flee blanket as I fender cover.. Well it slid down onto the side pipe.. Now the ploy is melted black on to the pipes.. ???? Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the black melted mess off the four collector pipes without damaging the ceramic coating ????
Help Please
John

sea2jet 10-22-2015 06:21 AM

Start the car and let the pipes get hot. I used a wooden paint stir stick to scrape off a microfiber towel that melted on mine. Much easier to remove if the pipes are hot.

Ron61 10-22-2015 06:25 AM

I agree with what sea2jet said. Get the pipes hot and use something that won't scrape the ceramic coating and get all of the melted stuff off that you can. Then when they cool down if yu can still see some of it, try using something that isn't to abrasive to remove the left over stain.

Ron

1985 CCX 10-22-2015 07:31 AM

I third........

carmine 10-22-2015 08:20 AM

toothpaste

Lou1119 10-22-2015 08:38 AM

[quote=johngruz;1368391]I almost set the Cobra on FIRE.. I use an old ploy flee blanket as I fender cover.. Well it slid down onto the side pipe.. Now the ploy is melted black on to the pipes.. ???? Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the black melted mess off the four collector pipes without damaging the ceramic coating ????
Help Please
John[/QUOTE

I melted the leg on on pair of polyester trousers on my side pipe and left a black blob on the silver pipe. I took a propane torch and melted the residue away but it left a white patch on the pipe. I the used a metal polish (flitz) on the white spot and the finish turned out the same as the rest of the pipe. Maybe I got lucky but it worked like a charm.

trularin 10-22-2015 08:45 AM

Main reason I got rid of my ceramic tubes.

So, if the plastic is melted good, run the car and heat them up to the point you can move the crud. Paint stick, tongue depressor and/or anything that you can scrap with that does not scratch the coating.

Then, you need to get it down to those nasty black lines that seem to fill the areas you can not scrape.

Let pipes cool and try a small screw driver or pick. Sometime I could get a chunk to pop off.

Once you are fed up with that - 3M medium grit and polish out the residue.

This is just what I had to go through.

Hope this helps.

:D

Bernica 10-22-2015 09:49 AM

You might experiment in a small area with oven cleaner when the pipes are hot.

Dimis 10-22-2015 12:02 PM

Just thinking out loud, as I've never had to do this...

But any reason you can't blast it off with a high pressure hose after heating up the pipes a bit to soften it up?

Ps. As far as big boo boos go, this sounds pretty small, I thought maybe you put a Chevy in it. :p

Relax boys. Just kidding. :LOL:

PurpleVenom 10-24-2015 07:25 AM

I've used an ultra fine steel wool with some polish to get melted things and the occasional road pizza off :D

427sharpe 10-24-2015 08:55 AM

Heat and sticks as mentioned, the Arm&Hammer ultra whitening toothpaste as a polish after cooling--no, really! Stuff is great for polishing metal (and teeth, I suppose).