Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   NW Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/)
-   -   OFFICIAL Emissions Testing Procedure (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/52474-official-emissions-testing-procedure.html)

Zderf 04-08-2004 10:08 AM

OFFICIAL Emissions Testing Procedure

I now have the OFFICIAL answer to this burning question/issue. Here is the summary of numerous emails with the Department Of Ecology, and a nice fellow who knows our plight:

We cannot exempt your car from the emissions testing, but I can use the most lenient standards that are on the books. In 1968 there were few if any emission control devices outside of necessary items such as an air filter or PVC. The 1968 maximums are 900ppm HC and 6.0% CO. It is very rare that a properly built street/performance engine cannot meet those standards.

The way it would work is for you to take your test and fail. Contact me with your readings. If they are below the 1968 maximums I would give you a pass. If not we would try to work out an adjustment strategy to get the emission levels in line with the 1968 standards. The main thing to remember is that emissions and performance go hand in hand, if it seems to run well, it will more than likely pass the 1968 standard. When you get beyond those limits it becomes very noticeable. Keep my number handy. I deal with most of the home-built / kit cars.

Kerry Swayne
ECY NWRO AIR Programs
3190 - 160th Ave SE
Bellevue, WA 98008-5452
425-649-7101
kswa461

So there you have it.

Looks like I'm moving back to Woodinville. :)

Zderf

Bish Wheeler 04-08-2004 07:51 PM

He sounds like one of the good guys. Are you sure he works for the government?!!

Bish

Turk 04-08-2004 08:22 PM

What a difference in attitudes of your guy and our Californa guys.

Same country, different states..

TURK

Bob Parmenter 04-09-2004 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Turk

Same country, different states..

TURK

Turk, I'm not sure the rest of us see it that way!!!:p :LOL: :LOL:

Michael C Henry 04-11-2004 12:26 PM

How did they arrive at 68 as the year?
In 2000 I brought mine in from out of state as a 65 and they went by the date of manufacture of the car.=" 84 Kit V "and all that
When I went for testing and such they talked about 73 standards as a target.
I just went through with an 84 Land Cruiser and It has problems .test - fail have repaired by liescened emmissions repairer =$150+,retest fail ,went inside office right there and they generated the waiver then and there. The thing that is the kicker is that they use a dyno@ 25 mph on mine it was in 3rd at 1590 rpm.They plug into my cig-lighter socket also.

Zderf 04-13-2004 02:00 PM

1968 is the first year for emissions standards. It therefore is the least restrictive standard on the books here in WA state. At least that is what I think he mentioned in one of his emials.

Sounds like you maybe got one of the OTHER civil servants that had a more restrictive viewpoint. As for the Land Cruiser... that being an actual production vehicle, you'll not likely get any leniency on the 1984 standards... bummer.

Zdef

flipper35 04-13-2004 02:19 PM

I live in CA and still refer to my life prior as 'when I was living back in the states". I don't dislike it here, it is just "different".

Zderf 04-14-2004 09:57 AM

Addtional Niceness

So my final responce to Mr Swayn was:

This is great!!! I plan to pass on your information to the host of other Cobra owners in our club. This topic is always one that creates grief and misunderstanding, Your guidance here really clears things up.

Thanks again, and you will no doubt hear from me in 2005.

And then his closing comments....

I'm glad that I could help. I have dealt with quite a few Cobras over the years and have only had one that was unable to get through the process. He was having severe carburetor problems.

So thats it. What a pleasant exchange.

Respectfully Submitted.

Zderf