Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Originality Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/)
-   -   history originality (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/141764-history-originality.html)

kgs365 12-02-2018 01:42 PM

history originality

I used to go to a website that listed each csx car made, the color , options , history etc... i can't seem to locate it?...i did a search here and couldn't find it was it an old SAAC site?...

Thanks...getting the bug again ...was hoping to research to see if they ever made any CSX's with out knock offs?...i've seen dueling photos of

CSX2522 "Slalom Special"

CSX2537 "Slalom Snake"

and in some of the photos one of the cars appeared with out knock offs with 5 lug wheels?

Dan Case 12-02-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgs365 (Post 1454703)
I used to go to a website that listed each csx car made, the color , options , history etc... i can't seem to locate it?...i did a search here and couldn't find it was it an old SAAC site?...

Thanks...getting the bug again ...was hoping to research to see if they ever made any CSX's with out knock offs?...i've seen dueling photos of

CSX2522 "Slalom Special"

CSX2537 "Slalom Snake"

and in some of the photos one of the cars appeared with out knock offs with 5 lug wheels?

All Cobra wheels used center lock hammer on hammer off (a.k.a. knock offs). Shelby American offered an option that was pretty popular and that was magnesium wheels made by American Racing secured to the car by stock AC script chrome plated brass two wing nuts.

The confusion starts with two versions.

The original version had steel adapters that had hex cap screws threaded directly into holes drilled and tapped into the back of magnesium wheels. No adapter to wheel fasteners were directly visible to the outside world. These wheels were adequate for street cars and road racing cars. They turned out to be bad for drag racing.

The second version used longer hex cap screws that passed through the webs between spokes and were fitted with shank type “mag wheel” lug nuts like a more conventional ‘bolt on wheel’. Again they were held to the car by the AC wing nuts. This time five lug nuts and their heavy duty washers were clearly visible and suitable for all uses including as rear wheels on drag racers.

The street choices were 15X6 on all four corners or 15X6 front and wider sizes on the rear. Wider wheels on the rear usually meant that SA had to send the cars out to a contract body shop to modify rear wheel arches and touch up the body paint. The 15X6 size was a Shelby American size only. Shelby American and American Racing sold 15X6.5 through 15X8.5 sizes out of their catalogs. One common mismatch was 15X6 front and 15X7 rear.

The American Racing wheels was a popular option and not that rare when the cars were new.

See also this earlier thread.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/orig...ng-wheels.html

1985 CCX 12-03-2018 11:27 AM

Think you are looking for CSX info?
I remember it being sold and the new owner not having the funds $ to keep it alive?
May be wrong but a quick search just now was a no sell...…
I suggest buying a SAAC Registry

kgs365 12-03-2018 04:35 PM

1985 CCX.....yes thats the info it was neat to research online....looks like it disappeared...thanks...

1985 CCX 12-04-2018 11:03 AM

kgs365

Feel free to join us in our monthly breakfasts …. This Saturday 9am Concord NH

kgs365 12-04-2018 04:20 PM

thank you

thank you ...im trying to not get back in i sold my ERA years ago and went to the bowtie dark side ...but a recent visit to ERA and Peter started my mind wandering again...you know the sickness :D