Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Registration Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/registration-forum/)
-   -   Registration, MA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/registration-forum/145391-registration-ma.html)

ChrisBlair 11-15-2021 01:42 PM

Registration, MA

I have used 'search' and found some old threads and comments on the subject of Massachusetts registration, and read through a number of them and...unfortunately old info on law in MA is interesting but not rock steady, let's put it that way. I hope this thread might help somebody besides me, as well.

Obviously a part of deciding if a Cobra is the right choice for me is the question of registering the car. Also obviously the car is not the typical thing the Registry wants to deal with.

I suppose the best case scenario is to buy one already registered in MA, and do what that guy does. I also might go outside and catch 100 dollar bills falling from the sky, but I don't think it will happen.

So what really happens when trying to register such a car in MA? Yes I have visited the MA DMV website LOL. They use terms like "generally", gotta love that. Here's pertinent info:

" Definition of a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Massachusetts

Under MA antique license plate rules, an antique vehicle is a car manufactured at least 25 years ago, which is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades and other public events.

Massachusetts RMV issues custom car registrations to owners of vehicles of a model year at least 25 years old, cars that were produced after 1948 and have been altered from their original design.

Massachusetts laws also distinguish between replica vehicles, which are defined as cars assembled by new or used components that resemble an earlier model and year ride, and specially-constructed cars classified as reconstructed vehicles whose exterior does not replicate any other auto.

In addition to this, a custom auto registration in Massachusetts will also be necessary for kit cars or vehicles whose parts were sold and assembled by the buyer into a complete car, and street rods or cars manufactured before 1949, which have been altered or constructed from non-original materials.
"

OK so MA will deem the car a 'kit car' or a 'replica'. So far so good. I love how they call a car a "ride". Very hip. But on a practical level, a custom car registration would be necessary regardless of 'kit' or 'replica'.

They go on to sate that "you may be required to submit an application form along with a certification and affidavit confirming your vehicle’s age and purpose.". You MAY have to do that. Very good. I feel this may be re: antiques for parades etc.

OK then:

Fill out and submit an RMV-1 form.
Present a completed Application for Replacement of Vehicle Identification Number with the assigned VIN included in the form (if applicable).
Submit the previous certificate of title.
When issuing a registration for a custom car to owners of replica motor vehicles, MA RMV will also require them to submit the certificate of origin from the manufacturer, as well as the bill of sale or invoice for the replica kit. Owners of kit cars will not be able to obtain a registration or sell their ride unless they apply for a new title and pass the RMV’s inspection procedure.

Brilliant! Fill out form. Request a VIN; I suppose that's a case of they charge you to change it to one they like. This also would include MA putting THEIR new VIN on the car where THEY see fit. How and where does this happen I wonder.A COO and the original bill of sale is needed. I deal with legally binding Certificates at my job, what fun. Also get a new title and pass state inspection. I note that they interchangeably use 'replica' and 'kit' near the end.

What's forum members' experience with all this? It is Massachuetts, home sweet home, and I do not expect that all is as it seems.

sgianino 11-15-2021 04:39 PM

I can share my not so bad Experience registering a New ERA Cobra in Massachusetts....Not sure if things changed since 2005 but it wasnt to bad.
My Car is titled as a 2005 but Exempt from Emissions being the miles driven and so on.Back then the state of Mass had an exemption form for special motor vehicles such as kits and customs
I am the first owner of the Vehicle and received a Cert of Origin from ERA when car was completed...If your buying used and the car has been titled differently from another state then im not sure, i would hate to lead you in the wrong direction.
Also Massachusetts does not recognize a Vehicle till its assigned a VIN# Obviously, in my case the Vehicle was Inspected at a State Police Location on certain days and times of the week...they look everything over basically paper work and then afix a Vin# to the car (Under the Dashboard)
Then your Legit

HealeyRick 11-16-2021 07:04 AM

Last time I looked, this was a pretty accurate description of the process: https://www.speedsterowners.com/file...on_process.pdf But I'd check with someone who's recently done it to make sure it hasn't changed.

ChrisBlair 11-16-2021 12:26 PM

Hmmm. Thanks. I knew there was more to it. Naturally MA would have me crush a car instead of penalize real gross polluters. Almost seems useful to have a lawyer dig into it. The reader will say "that's ridiculous". Actually, with some of the things I've done the hard way and on my own, having a lawyer tell me "you should do this and this" up front would have saved me a bag of money and a heap of time.

sgianino 11-16-2021 04:02 PM

Its never always straight forward....so many variables i would think
I know with me i wasnt concerned about it being titled as a '"66 Cobra"
knowing i was going to keep the vehicle for a while and would worry about selling it once that time came. I think it gets tricky when you want your Registration or title to read what the vehicle really isnt....in my case it was a 2005 Replica Coupe and thats what its recognized as to Massachusetts RMV
What will happen when i some day sell it and Mr Mustang wants to buy it and transfer it to his State?? Thats a whole new Subject :3DSMILE:

HealeyRick 11-18-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 1499543)
Hmmm. Thanks. I knew there was more to it. Naturally MA would have me crush a car instead of penalize real gross polluters. Almost seems useful to have a lawyer dig into it. The reader will say "that's ridiculous". Actually, with some of the things I've done the hard way and on my own, having a lawyer tell me "you should do this and this" up front would have saved me a bag of money and a heap of time.

Funny, I'm a retired Massachusetts lawyer and about 9 years ago I was interested in building a FFR Daytona coupe, just after the latest regs changed. I came to the conclusion that there was a real chance I wouldn't be able to register the car after I built it and instead swapped a V8 into my Austin-Healey. It's a daunting process and frankly, instead of consulting an attorney you would probably be better off consulting Massachusetts Cobra guys like Michael Everson and Mike Forte who have actually registered some cars recently. Perhaps even talk to Factory Five since they are based here.

I think if I was building a big-block kit, I'd start looking for a big block crusher car at the beginning of the build and register it right away so I could have the one-year registration done by the time I was finished. I couldn't see that the crusher car needs to be running, just registered, so you could probably just by a junker and register it. You really need to be dedicated to register a Cobra replica in this state.

Blue66 11-18-2021 03:23 PM

Back in 2015 you could register it pretty easy BUT then ya had to get an inspection sticker. That's when the **** hit the fan. Wanted the car to pass emissions :eek:

ChrisBlair 11-23-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HealeyRick (Post 1499614)
Funny, I'm a retired Massachusetts lawyer and about 9 years ago I was interested in building a FFR Daytona coupe, just after the latest regs changed. I came to the conclusion that there was a real chance I wouldn't be able to register the car after I built it and instead swapped a V8 into my Austin-Healey. It's a daunting process and frankly, instead of consulting an attorney you would probably be better off consulting Massachusetts Cobra guys like Michael Everson and Mike Forte who have actually registered some cars recently. Perhaps even talk to Factory Five since they are based here.

I think if I was building a big-block kit, I'd start looking for a big block crusher car at the beginning of the build and register it right away so I could have the one-year registration done by the time I was finished. I couldn't see that the crusher car needs to be running, just registered, so you could probably just by a junker and register it. You really need to be dedicated to register a Cobra replica in this state.

Not the best news Rick, but straight talk is what I need so thanks :)

sgianino 11-23-2021 05:07 PM

Chris Blair,
I say just go for it!! Build or buy the car worry about it later
There are exemption forms in place....Otherwise how would every custom Hot Rod at car shows be registered when there a Fiberglass body or Custom Motorcycle for that matter.....you know them $200K Custom rods at cruise nights ? are they running a full cat back exhaust with Air bags and working wipers with reverse lights...Highly doubt it:)
I dont believe that buying a crusher with a 66 title works, I would think the RMV would be a little smarter then to let that slide by...I might be talking out my Butt ;)The registry at the time gave me an exemption form that also waives me of emissions every year so getting my yearly Sticker isnt an issue
Im speaking from experience and also a residence of Mass....My only doubt is that things might have changed and im Grandfathered into the old rules 0f "2006"

twobjshelbys 11-23-2021 05:15 PM

Who's the MA based dealer here? Seems that would be a resource.

sgianino 11-24-2021 03:13 AM

There ya have it Chris !
Straight from Tony....He will list all the Massachusetts dealers and all the steps needed to register that Cobra. No matter if its a Superformance or Factory Five.
Thank you Tony once again , good work

twobjshelbys 11-24-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgianino (Post 1499850)
There ya have it Chris !
Straight from Tony....He will list all the Massachusetts dealers and all the steps needed to register that Cobra. No matter if its a Superformance or Factory Five.
Thank you Tony once again , good work

I'm only recalling that there is a native MA dealer. . I can remember the case, but like a judge, will let his clerk to do the research for the details. I'd suggest you use the SEARCH function.

jjh 11-27-2021 07:00 AM

Ok, I may just be the most fortunate Cobra replica owner in Massachusetts.

Bought my ERA 427 street version back in 2013 in Illinois. It was already titled an registered as a 1966 Shelby Cobra. Went to the registry here in Massachusetts and simply transferred it as is. No problem.

It gets better. I had a 1966 year of manufacture license plate in which the number was clear (not in use) which I was able to put on the car because it's registered as a 1966.

Yearly inspection? No problem. Pull it in the bay turn on lights/high beams, directionals, honk the horn and basically that's it!!

I am truly blessed:)

sgianino 11-29-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 1499823)
Not the best news Rick, but straight talk is what I need so thanks :)

Chris,
What are you looking at buying?
Roller or Turnkey
Or are you just curious about how to register a Cobra

ChrisBlair 12-24-2021 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgianino (Post 1500088)
Chris,
What are you looking at buying?
Roller or Turnkey
Or are you just curious about how to register a Cobra

I apologize for the very late reply. Work has been an s show for end of year,
and then the holidays had their way with me.

I am looking to buy a completed example although building is in my repetoire (or at least it used to be, long boring story). I don't want to spend the time and I really have no place to build, having lost my shop space of 22 years last October. Also in my 30+ years of classic car ownership I found that money-wise it's usually better to buy something completed unless you have the fire to wrench and build your own car. Pretty much have done that...

My preference would be a 289 USRRC replica, close second would be an 289 FIA. The proportions of those models is best for my tastes.

Reality may dictate that if I do buy a Cobra (my other Holy Grail is a '65 Corvette Coupe), it may have to be an example of a car already registered in MA, which limits my options.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.