Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   FIA Cobra - Hand rolled body on T-Leaf Frame (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/108386-fia-cobra-hand-rolled-body-t-leaf-frame.html)

1985 CCX 02-11-2011 03:44 AM

Looking great guys!

1985 CCX 06-04-2011 10:52 AM

SAAC36
Panel Craft FIA car was - Great!
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6238/pc2k.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9453/pc1v.jpg

This is no pressed bodied ally car. Hand rolled and absolutely gorgious!

Great job Joe!
Panel Craft LLC - Custom auto restoration facility -- Bethlehem, NH

LMH 06-04-2011 02:17 PM

Wow!
Larry

BMK 06-04-2011 02:43 PM

:confused:

How do you think it will compare in price to other aluminum bodies. Knowing the hours involved it would be hard to compete against Polish manufactured bodies - or will it come in at a similar price?

Good luck with project the work standard looks fantastic.

boxhead 06-04-2011 04:21 PM

The website lists the price as $25k

Justin O'Rourke 06-04-2011 04:25 PM

What is the problem with a pressed body if the result is perfection and less time spent? Being pressed should eliminate a good deal of picking and filing with the end result having less of the product filed off that can result in thin areas.

*13* 06-04-2011 06:33 PM

Very cool! Wish I had the space to learn such a craft.

PDUB 06-04-2011 08:57 PM

Awesome Jeff! Really sweet...

G-Pete 06-05-2011 06:39 AM

Very nice, very impressing...

Just too sad these craftsman skills get lost over time. Hard to find a youngster who is willing to learn how to swing a Hammer.

1985 CCX 06-05-2011 06:50 AM

As far as price you would need to speak to Joe at Panel Craft. As far as rolled versus stamped I would suggest that in the end there very similar however handmade will always have a place with those that see the value. Why does Kemper, Howard, McCluskey, and Panel Craft restore originals and continue to survive, I would suggest for the value as it was made by an artisan.

I can buy a stamped out pair of Hush Puppies dress shoes but a pair of Bontoni leather shoes are simply better and yes cost a bit more. Similar analogy, why does a Contemporary Classic have less value than KMS? It is the cost of the art..... Same analogy can be drawn. I can also buy a Picasso print for $25 however the original made by hand holds a bit more provenance and value.

In the end I think Panel Craft, Brooklands and those that do it by hand will always have a place in this craft. If you want a bargain call FFR as their business model is a $50k car for $15k thus everyone has their place. It’s a matter of preference and desire for something special. This is the reason I had hood, boot and doors made from aluminum versus using my glass skins, something special....

This car completed by master builder McCluskey, Howard, Acton, Kemper would simply be a work of art that could be driven either on a track, show stage or if you like sitting in your garage just can't get it for the cost of a glass kit car.

Whether it be Cobras or anything else in life you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

BMK 06-07-2011 03:09 AM

Boxhead

Dave,

%/

Missed the link. Where did you see the price?

1ntCobra 06-07-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 1133189)
Boxhead

Dave,

%/

Missed the link. Where did you see the price?

Cobra 289 FIA for sale : Panel Craft

The price seems to be for the body only. It does not mention a frame or anything else.

boxhead 06-08-2011 05:00 AM

Yes, price does lookto be body only, which in Australia is the only part we can use.

BMK 06-09-2011 03:14 PM

Boxhead

Thanks. Yes we are little like the Flintstones we only need the body..:LOL:

Not a bad price though....

BMK 06-09-2011 03:32 PM

I think the Kirkham Motorsport body is available attached/rivited to the basic chassis... :confused:

Not sure on the price though as it is not itemized on their site. As they sell it as a roller.

Mmmm sure does make it hard here for us Australians and all our laws. Dave I have just finished reading the latest Australian Street Rodding Magazine and Editor Larry is on a new registration group that has achieved some great outcomes for Street Rods that will flow on. Permits for 90 days etc.

Anyway will do a little searching to see if Kirkhams supply just body and chassis only..:confused:

Not wanting to hi jack the Thread here the hand made body looks very good and it appears they are using a glass body for fit.

boxhead 06-09-2011 04:14 PM

I contacted Kirkham about 18 months ago looking at a body only purchase, I can not remember exact price now, but I thought it was on the high of reasonable side.

mickmate 06-09-2011 07:34 PM

Good eye, he uses a glass body that is "corrected" with reference to anything he can find for pictures of them. There's a pretty good stack of pics in the shop right now. There are very expensive books with black thumbprints on the page corners. This is the guy that can build a car from 3 poor quality B&W pics! Having perfected his first aluminum body using the first car as a reference buck, symmetry, flares etc, a buck is made from that to get consistency. To work with this guy and shape metal over something feels like learning magic tricks. It's quite a process to tool up for, even with all the skills, but the results speak for themselves.

What'saCobra? 06-09-2011 07:55 PM

We have a cottage not far from Joe's place and have visited, VERY BRIEFLY, a few times and have been very impressed with the work he has done on very nice machines. Lovely home and family. Having owned only aly cars since the very early sixties, i have a special place in my heart for them and their fabricators.

Will watch for the finale. Please post pix and good luck, you lucky dog!

LMH 06-09-2011 09:18 PM

Nick, are you learning the trade?
Larry

mickmate 06-10-2011 03:48 AM

A tool here and a trick there Larry, a bit at a time.