Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Getting ready to start my Kellison project (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/110468-getting-ready-start-my-kellison-project.html)

john chesnut 05-04-2011 06:13 PM

Getting ready to start my Kellison project

1 Attachment(s)
I've finally cleared up some time and am going to start my Kellison project shortly. While doing some research about the cars I came across an illustration by Steven Stanford. I think that it's stunningly beautiful. It's not as sinister looking as the J5 that I am starting with. But, I will make the modifications to my body to try and duplicate Steven's vision. I will make the front end full tilt like the Daytona Coupe.

Now I am trying to decide whether to build a simple frame with a 3 link live axle and Mustang based front suspension with a carbed ZZ4 chevy engine and a 5 speed tranny. Or build a more sophisticated space frame and use C6 Corvette drivetrain and suspension. Any thoughts on this?

mr bruce 05-04-2011 06:28 PM

the MII/ strate axle rear stuff has been beaten to death, go with the Vette suspended chassis

Tommy 05-04-2011 07:20 PM

John,
You had been quiet so long I thought you were spending all your time working on the Kellison rather than hanging out on the Internet. .. I'm looking forward to further reports.

boxhead 05-04-2011 07:23 PM

This is one I am looking forward too.

tkb289 05-04-2011 10:14 PM

John,

I am really looking forward to seeing how this project progresses as well ... it will be very cool whichever way you go in terms of chassis and suspension.

As far as simple frame vs C6 space frame, if the car will have more of an old school look, then go with the simple frame ... if it's a more modern interpretation of what the Kellison would have evolved into, then the C6 space frame.

Just my .02

That being said ... Having seen photos of some of your past projects, I am sure either way will result in one unique and awesome car ! :D

- Tim

rustyBob 05-05-2011 08:08 AM

From looking at that drawing i think i know where one of those bodies is sitting....
i see it everytime i go over an overpass here in town and i think its next to a body
shop.....its been there for years.....
go old skool....you have done the modern Vette stuff already on other projects....

xlr8tr 05-05-2011 09:26 AM

I'd go Vette like your cobra frame, even if its just for headroom/legroom purposes! Flat floor pan, over footbox headers will give you lots of room for comfortable driving, i dont think the Kellison is very big inside! I'd go old school for the rest: engine, body, interior. Engine: old school, but with one of the new plenum stack electronic injection setups like the Kaase one.

Cant wait to see the progress!

FWB 05-05-2011 02:56 PM

since the J-5 is to be built on the older vette frame, i think its just a natural progression to put it on the newer vette frame, i really like the J-5 body style. the ones i have seen done have some things i didn't find desirable.
like no dropped footbox, and the angled dashboard that made viewing gauges almost impossible during the day. please do post pics of the project as you go.

mr bruce 05-08-2011 06:23 PM

Kessler - Club Cobra Photo Gallery