Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Rivets and sheet metal (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/73157-rivets-sheet-metal.html)

mickmate 09-26-2006 06:57 AM

Rivets and sheet metal

I'm looking at Cleco's. What size rivets are used on original sheet metal? I'm thinking 1/8"....

Dominik 09-26-2006 07:04 AM

4mm? ;-)
what are you going to rivet?

dominik

jay bentley 09-26-2006 07:12 AM

I guess he's finally going to rivet something onto that nice flat hood of his.:LOL:

Jay

Dominik 09-26-2006 07:20 AM

hey Nick,

are you?
then you should be more concerned about the rivet head diameter, because you won't see the shank for quite a while, wouldn't you? ;-)

BTW, is the amount of rivets for the scoop 11-1-11 or 13-3-13, or...
No no, not again! ;-)

During the mulitiple transports of my body and parts all my original scoops (except one!) got lost.
They probably find a new home on a Supra or Lancer now...

dominik

Three Peaks 09-26-2006 07:22 AM

I was going to ask this question just last night- you beat me to it Nick. I am just looking at Cleco's at the moment too.

I have heard that most of the rivets are 1/8" but aren't the rivets that hold the body on at the sides where it wraps around the chassis supposed to be 3/16"?

elgecko 09-26-2006 07:34 AM

Stainless steel, steel or aluminum rivets? I've been using stainless steel for my aluminum work. Most of my rivet work has been 1/8" and 5/32".
Will have plenty left over when done. Probably 1,000. Need some soon?
Dave

Three Peaks 09-26-2006 07:42 AM

Dave,
If Nick doesn't take them I will.

BTW, What did you end up doing for footboxes?

Bob

elgecko 09-26-2006 07:53 AM

Bob
Being a fiberglass guru, fabbed my own. Dropped the floor alittle for more foot space.
Let me check the lenght of these rivets. From my understanding, stainless is the way to go.
Dave

Three Peaks 09-26-2006 08:13 AM

Dave,
Was going to ask you a few questions re: footboxes but will start a new thread.

Bob

mickmate 09-26-2006 06:09 PM

Where can you get help, harassment, advice and a sense of humor all in one place? It sure feels like home around here! Scoopy poopy I need to rivet some pieces like foot boxes to a cowl hoop to check on a bunch of other dimensions like firewall braces, hoop braces etc etc etc. Theres a lot of things off the hoop and it's critical to getting the height and forward back position of the whole body correct. The jury is out on rivets, I'm going 1/8" aluminum (actually clecos for now). Have you tried pulling SS rivets? Don't shake Daves hand! Have you tried removing a SS rivet? I rarely get it right first time.

mickmate 09-26-2006 06:11 PM

Snap rivets, pop rivets, blind rivets, aircraft rivets, hollow rivets, cherry rivets..........I was just thinking out loud how many names there are for these things. All depends where you went to school I guess.

elgecko 09-26-2006 06:22 PM

Nick,
I used aluminum rivets for mock-ups BUT stainless rivets for final assembly:) Better hurry with that build....... oh, never mind, it's Winter up there now:LOL:
Harbor Freight has a air rivet gun that pulls the 1/8 and 5/32 SS rivet real nice. Cheap. No blisters on these hands.:)
Easiest way to remove SS rivets is to drill it out with 1/8 or(5/32) Cobalt drill bit. Think I have about 100 of those bits!!!:LOL:
I'm now trying to figure out how I'm going to mount this fiberglass body......but that's another story.
Dave

mickmate 09-26-2006 07:17 PM

This winter I'm aiming for a rolling something or other. Lets talk about body mounting. We should start another thread even though we live here!

Dominik 09-26-2006 09:07 PM

okay,

one thing to consider when riveting are the differnt chemical properties of various metals.
I heard that aluminium and steel don't like each other and will corrode after creating a mini-current.

or is it aluminium and galvanized (zinc) sheet metal?

dominik

wtm442 09-26-2006 09:33 PM

Rivets are fine, but do not use them to hold your seats to the floor.
:eek: :( :D :p :rolleyes: :LOL: :JEKYLHYDE :)

mickmate 09-27-2006 03:01 AM

Is that what happened to yours or are the pedals really hard to push?

wtm442 09-27-2006 12:10 PM

Mickmate - Hotglue