Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   wrecked csx 4000 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/138116-wrecked-csx-4000-a.html)

feadam 03-08-2017 06:17 AM

wrecked csx 4000

wondering if someone here bought this
Shelby Cobra CSX 4000 series body and frame for Sale in Woodstock, ON | RacingJunk Classifieds

dcdoug 03-08-2017 06:25 AM

Frame's probably bent at that price.

Racer_X 03-08-2017 02:58 PM

Frame is definitely bent and someone hacked some huge holes in it to ensure it's not usable. Might be able to make a trailer out of whats left.

mrmustang 03-08-2017 03:07 PM

Original owner is a Club Cobra member.

I have pointed them to this thread

E5USMC 03-08-2017 05:23 PM

Sounds like a good story coming

LMH 03-08-2017 05:40 PM

Wonder if it comes with a title.
Larry

Three Peaks 03-08-2017 06:40 PM

Curious about the holes in the frame approximately where the motor pedestals would be? With a little work, I think this frame could be repaired. However, how financially feasible it would be is another question. May have more in the repair than the car is worth on the market once it is done.

Am I correct that it is located in Canada? Ontario? Could be interesting trying to get it into the US and registered .

Bob

kanuck 03-09-2017 04:05 AM

So basically you are buying a $3500.00 Roll Bar.

Dean

1795 03-09-2017 04:20 AM

Without the VIN, you would not be able to register it, and given that the seller is calling it a 4000 series, rather than 40--, my guess is there is no VIN. Could be wrong.

However, if someone were just interested in using the frame to build a race car, they could do that. You do not need to register a race car and some are built from special frames. I would imagine that the frame could be welded and strengthened. I have seen some race car frames get buckled-up that are still salvageable and end up back on the track.

I imagine that the $3500 is Canadian, so with a little dickering and the exchange rate someone could save themselves some money over welding up their own frame.

Just thought about this, do you need a VIN number if you call it a scratch build? How do you scratch builder guys approach the VIN/MSO issue?

Three Peaks 03-09-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1417665)
Without the VIN, you would not be able to register it, and given that the seller is calling it a 4000 series, rather than 40--, my guess is there is no VIN. Could be wrong.

However, if someone were just interested in using the frame to build a race car, they could do that. You do not need to register a race car and some are built from special frames. I would imagine that the frame could be welded and strengthened. I have seen some race car frames get buckled-up that are still salvageable and end up back on the track.

I imagine that the $3500 is Canadian, so with a little dickering and the exchange rate someone could save themselves some money over welding up their own frame.

Just thought about this, do you need a VIN number if you call it a scratch build? How do you scratch builder guys approach the VIN/MSO issue?

Depends on the state you live in. In Oregon where I live, it is relatively easy to register a scratch built car. Actually, in this case, at least in this state that would probably be the easiest way to register this car and the VIN may actually be a liability.

Lots of work needed on that Cobra and tons of parts will need to be purchased, but the basic frame, pick up points, cockpit tub, and trunk tub are all there- which are the hardest pieces to build or source without a jig or form.

Bob

feadam 10-14-2021 01:51 PM

anyone know what happened to this car after it was wrecked at cannonball 3000, did someone buy it and fix it?

t walgamuth 10-14-2021 02:36 PM

I think it would be easy to register it here in IN as a scratch built.