Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   Help with Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/145435-help-cobra.html)

Pmccooey 12-04-2021 02:26 PM

Help with Cobra

I’ve been in the market for a Cobra for a while and finally found one that has everything I have been looking for. My question is the tag on the car. It has a Shelby American, Inc plate with a CCX9 number? I thought Contemporary Classics used CCx numbers? Did Shelby American use a CCX9 series or is it a Contemporary with a Shelby American plate?

Thanks for any guidance before I buy this car.

Mark IV 12-04-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmccooey (Post 1500331)
I’ve been in the market for a Cobra for a while and finally found one that has everything I have been looking for. My question is the tag on the car. It has a Shelby American, Inc plate with a CCX9 number? I thought Contemporary Classics used CCx numbers? Did Shelby American use a CCX9 series or is it a Contemporary with a Shelby American plate?

Thanks for any guidance before I buy this car.

A Contemporary with a Shelby American plate.

Pmccooey 12-04-2021 02:34 PM

Thanks. I figured it was a Contemporary and they licensed the name or something?

twobjshelbys 12-04-2021 02:52 PM

No licensing. The owner attached it. Shelby plates are available on eBay for a couple of bucks. CCX is contemporary...

mrmustang 12-04-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1500337)
No licensing. The owner attached it. Shelby plates are available on eBay for a couple of bucks. CCX is contemporary...

Exactly :rolleyes:

Contemporary used their own VIN plate, usually located on the top of the passenger side footbox

Bill S.

Harpoon PV2 12-04-2021 11:26 PM

All real Cobras, are either CSX, CS for a tiny number of right hand steering cars, COB, Cobra Other Britain, or right hand, or last COX, X for export. There are no other letter combos. I have seen a couple of small block replicas with AC Cars Ltd Thames Ditton, England, vin tags, with SPF stamped on them, but in each case the owners admitted they were Superformance cars, not Shelby AC Cobra's! As long as he is not trying to pass it of as original, then no real harm.