Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby Enterprises Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/)
-   -   CSX 4000 fuel filter (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/134516-csx-4000-fuel-filter.html)

Blue66 08-30-2015 05:23 PM

CSX 4000 fuel filter

Can anyone tell me where it is located on a CSX 4000 car. Don't have a lift here. How about a part # to ... ;-)

Bernica 08-30-2015 08:44 PM

Both of mine are located right under the drivers seat area. One supply and one return..

CompClassics 08-31-2015 12:09 AM

Is your car using the two electric pumps in the trunk on the passengers side? If so are the pumps the "Facet" cylinder style? If so there are filters inside the bottom of each pump, if you are running a mechanical pump the filter may be between the pump and the carb.

Blue66 08-31-2015 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1361095)
Is your car using the two electric pumps in the trunk on the passengers side? If so are the pumps the "Facet" cylinder style? If so there are filters inside the bottom of each pump, if you are running a mechanical pump the filter may be between the pump and the carb.

Electric ..thanks for the info.

Blue66 08-31-2015 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1361083)
Both of mine are located right under the drivers seat area. One supply and one return..

Wonder if mine have that to..... Easy to check out to. Thanks guys.. It's today's job:cool:

Bernica 08-31-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1361095)

Mine has the two electric pumps in trunk on passenger side as well as the 2 in-line filters below driver's seat side, then feeding a mechanical pump on the engine that does the daily work with a bypass to run the electrics if needed. I hope that makes sense...

Blue66 08-31-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1361145)
Mine has the two electric pumps in trunk on passenger side as well as the 2 in-line filters below driver's seat side, then feeding a mechanical pump on the engine that does the daily work with a bypass to run the electrics if needed. I hope that makes sense...

Ya it does! I also don't understand 2 electric pumps.

Bernica 08-31-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue66 (Post 1361150)
Ya it does! I also don't understand 2 electric pumps.

There should be a switch on the dash that fires up the electric pumps (you will hear them thumping and slowing down after pressure is built up). I usually run them only on startup routine, then turn them off and let the mech pump do the work. I am told that the electrics are for backup or when you are running low on fuel. I leave them off during regular driving.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong..;)

CompClassics 08-31-2015 10:30 AM

Shelby initially used two electric (240A Stewart Warner) pumps mounted in the same location on The original 427 Cobras of the 1960s. I believe the original installation was done for redundancy, the only problem was that if one pump failed it usually took out the other pump as well because the two pumps used the same power supply circuit and either of the pumps failing caused the fuse for the fuel pump circuit to blow.

Bernica 08-31-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1361152)
Shelby initially used two electric (240A Stewart Warner) pumps mounted in the same location on The original 427 Cobras of the 1960s. I believe the original installation was done for redundancy, the only problem was that if one pump failed it usually took out the other pump as well because the two pumps used the same power supply circuit and either of the pumps failing caused the fuse for the fuel pump circuit to blow.

Yes, I believe all true. If you want to go crazy safe, there is actually a spare wire back there for a differential cooler that is/was rarely used, so in principal you could isolate the two pumps by using that one. I have no idea why you need a circuit for a diff cooler, but that's what the wiring diagram says...

CompClassics 08-31-2015 11:13 AM

The Facet pumps utilize solid state circuitry so the chances of blowing the fuse are almost nonexistent in comparison to the Stewart Warner pumps which used points.

Blue66 08-31-2015 01:13 PM

OK found one filter in the feed line up by the front of the foot box. Had 2 small ones on the carb itself. They were clean. Need to find something I can drain gas in to check the one under the car. I am not at home where I have everything and a lift :mad: I noticed the 2 elect pumps had filters on the bottoms. Will much gas come out of them. ?? Also how much fuel pressure should I have ??? Alum BB.
I am starting to miss my little ol V6 Turbo already :D

Bernica 08-31-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue66 (Post 1361168)
OK found one filter in the feed line up by the front of the foot box. Had 2 small ones on the carb itself. They were clean. Need to find something I can drain gas in to check the one under the car. I am not at home where I have everything and a lift :mad: I noticed the 2 elect pumps had filters on the bottoms. Will much gas come out of them. ?? Also how much fuel pressure should I have ??? Alum BB.
I am starting to miss my little ol V6 Turbo already :D

I believe 7 lbs is about max for pressure on a carb engine. Much more for FI.
Good luck!