Carroll Shelby - Shelby 427 FE Engine Parts and Services
s
Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby Enterprises Inc.
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2004, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     
Default Starter for Shelby alum block

I need to replace my starter. Any recommendations that will work for an aluminum Shelby block? Will a Powermaster, Tilton and Prostart'r all fit the aluminum block? I know there are some clearance issues with the boss for the screw-in core plugs.
If there was a thread that addressed this already, can you give me the link?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra75 I use a tilton starter for my car. You must make sure that the bellhousing is centered on the motor FIRST. Then you can set the starter up with the correct air gap. If you don't you are looking at 90.00$ for a new drive gear. I chewed mine up because the bell housing was off. I had the right air gap and still ate the drive. You may have to clock the starter to clear the block, I have 3/4" clearance on mine. Put a heat shield on it to protect from header and motor heat. Summit or Jegs seam to have the best prices, you make look at E-Bay. Rick Lake
Old 04-18-2004, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, Thanks for the info. But what do you mean by "air gap"? Is that the clearance radially from the ring gear or clearance from the pinion to the ring gear longitudinally when fully released? I have dial indicated the BH, so it's is centered on the crank within .002", so that should not be an issue.

Do you have the Shelby aluminum block.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Smile

Cobra 75

George Anderson ( Gessford ) mounted a CVR starter with very good results.
Regards, Walter
Attached Images

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 04-19-2004, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Walter.
That's the kind of info I needed!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra75 With the starter drive gear extended onto the flywheel you should have a ring gear bachlash of .010-.030". The starter pinion to ring gear clearance is .060-.140. The tilton starter comes with shims to set it up correctly. I use allen head bolts to mount on the motor because you have more room in that tight location. I also use the separate starter soleiod on the car and not directly to the ignition switch. It's the ampage spikes that wear out the contacts in the switch. Also you can jump the car from under the hood in an emergency if needed. Hope this helps. Rick Lake
Old 04-19-2004, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick. I have about .080" pinion gear clearance. Not sure how you get access to measure the backlash. I'm still running a solenoid also.

BTW, I contacted George at Guessford Machine this morning and within 10 minutes he fixed me up with just what I needed and will overnight it to me. He was professional, personable, and terrific to work with! I had previously called every local & national speed shop for an FE mini-starter, but no one had one in stock or could get it in less than 2 weeks. Thanks George!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Scott....Did It arrive today?
Price was same as your friends two years ago...same CC discount....the UPS Red cost wasn't pretty though!
Thanks,
George

Last edited by GEORGE ANDERSON; 04-20-2004 at 08:46 PM..
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George,
Yes, I couldn't believe the UPS lady was here before 10:30 am. If she looked like this one, it would be worth every cent!

The starter works perfectly. I did rotate the nose housing to keep the motor away from the block.
Thanks for the excellent service!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George,
Tried to contact you a few times today to buy one of your starters. Will try again tomorrow.

thanks,
Morgan LeBlanc
Old 05-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morgan...will call Tuesday...
George
Old 05-11-2004, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George anderson George I want a starter TOO. Only if I get that UPS driver . Figures that they only deliver that way in VA. God I love that state. Rick Lake
Old 05-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Any more pictures of the UPS driver?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: