Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby Enterprises Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/)
-   -   Shelby Forged Pistons (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/53706-shelby-forged-pistons.html)

Roxie_427 05-13-2004 06:30 AM

Shelby Forged Pistons

Chris,
Who is the manufacturer of your forged shelf pistons? I'm planning to use a SCAT 428 crank (3.98 stroke) and Eagle rods (6.490) with a Shelby aluminum block.

I'm finalizing my research on 427 parts and readying for a purchase.

Thanks,
Tim Terry
Seabrook, TX

VitaminC 05-13-2004 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim,

Our shelf pistons used to be from Arias and Ross, and we still have some inventory of those.

We now have our own pistons, which are about 100 grams lighter than the other FE pistons we have had our hands on. Our forging die has all the extra material removed from underneath the piston crown, except where FE valve reliefs are (excluding Cammer of course).

We stock a wide variety pistons, or if you have a custom or unusual application, we can finish a set to your spec. Within reason, we can do whatever bore diameter, compression ratio, pin height and bore, and ring package you'd like. Minimum bore for our forgings is stock 427 (4.233").

These are not reboxed other-brand pistons. They are produced from our own forging die, made specifically for FE's.

We are the largest stocking dealer of FE products from Scat, so maybe we can put together a package deal for you on pistons, rods, crankshaft, and block. We could even turn it into a shortblock for you. :)

Chris Weisberg
Carroll Shelby Enterprises
(310) 538-2914

VitaminC 05-13-2004 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:)

wilf leek 05-13-2004 02:34 PM

Chris - those pics are pure art. Thanks

Question - very short skirts on those slugs - is that where you saved the weight? Or is it "normal" for an FE piston?

VitaminC 05-13-2004 04:54 PM

Thanks Wilf,

I agree! We have a customer who bought just one piston and two rocker arms, to make a display for his desk.

Those skirts are normal length. They may seem short because a stock 427 piston has a low pin height in comparison.

Ours is about 100 grams lighter than an identical piston made off a standard forging! The weight was saved by having a dedicated forging. The material was placed only where it needed to be (ring lands, valve relief pads, pin towers, etc.). Normal Brand-X FE pistons are made from a universal forging, so they have excess material underneath the piston crown to allow the same blank forging to be used for multiple engines with various valve configurations. Ours, on the other hand, are only applicable to non-Cammer FE's.

When I hired on, Carroll's orders were to continue to develop the existing Shelby FE. I think these pistons came out pretty nice, and there are more goodies on the way. :)

Chris Weisberg
Carroll Shelby Enterprises
(310) 538-2914