Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shell Valley Companies

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Over the years I've purchased a few minor items from Shell Valley for my old SV replica. In the process, I've gotten to know Dana somewhat. My dealings with Dana and SV have been nothing but positive. I have no evidence to lead me to believe that anything has changed, that way. Once I retire, I'd like to build another cobra replica-this time eliminating all the mistakes I made on the first one. The first place I'd go shopping is SV.

My advice? Give 'em a chance.
Aside from an excuse to dole out some "gratuitous a$$ kicking" (as it was described) from time to time, the original point of the post was that Shell Valley was back in business.

Good luck, god speed, end of story. I don't need to see their business plan, what differentiates them from others, etc. It seems like they've got a fair number of fans and one person that is less enthusiastic. Buyer beware in all situations. They've also got a parts business that some people rely on for spares. Again, no need to over analyze this. If they've got a solid business plan and execute against it (and the economy turns around), they'll live to tell the tale.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default How about...

... a three way merger between KitCarsToGo, Hurricane, and Shell Valley?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I saw Rich Anderson today (former owner of Shell Valley) he appears to be........happy.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug (Got The Bug) is a "gratuitous a$$-kicker" from way back.

Great dry cleaning analogy, Patrick, but probably went over most people's heads here on CC.

Compaq may be challenging McD00 for the "best" poster crown. Maybe he rail on about his roof or something.

Group hug now?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Great dry cleaning analogy, Patrick, but probably went over most people's heads here on CC.
Yes, probably so and I've grown used to it. But I view many of the participants on this forum in the same fashion that I view my secretary; what she lacks for in brains, she makes up for in kindness.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley 289 with edelbrock perfomer rpm setup.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
Its sounds like you have sour grapes and should(if you haven't already ) sell your car and find anew hobby. I can only speak for myself but I bought my car KNOWING I would lose money on it if I ever sold it and 99% of the others on here did, ESPECIALLY in this economy. Companies exist to make a profit but that doesn't mean they are trying to take advantage of people or lie, cheat and steal to make a profit. There have been those that do but I believe it is the minority in this hobby, not the majority. If you are that unhappy, take the loss, sell your car and go find a new hobby.
Ron

I did sell it.I didn't have the car as a hobby i built it because you could piece everything together and was planning on driving it.All of the welding
and fitting involved in putting it together tends to be more work then
these companies let on,they tend to exaggerate on the time involved in building them.I wouldn't weld stainless steel that is exposed etc.
Most people call these fun or is suppossed to be fun.Maybe driving them is fun but building them couldn't be.If four people were on it all at one time you might build one in 100 hours or so.This Kirkham Motorsports told me they built one for
charity and had four people on it at one time and it was completed in a
reasonable length of time.One person i don't think could build one completely
from the frame by themselves in 100 hours to completion.I seen where they built a Factory Five Cobra but there was five people on it or so at one time.
It was a Factory Five building school or something where they showed people
how to build one.Not only do they exaggerate about the build time but they also exaggerate about the money it takes to put one together.As far as
building or buying another Cobra Kit Car it is highly doubtful.

Last edited by compaq; 05-17-2009 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: don't want on this forum
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

To each his own. I knew I didn't have the experience or more importantly the time to build my own so I had someone build it so I could enjoy the driving. The are guys on this site who have been building for 10 years and some that finish in 3-6 months so I don't think it is fair to blame the manufacturers on over exxagerating the build time. they have no way of knowing the level of each person's expereince, or thier tools available etc.

If you sold it in the last year you just took a bigger hit than you would of last year so that magnifies your frustration but the economy isn't the manufacturers fault.

My question is that if you sold it and you are so sour on the "kit car" part of the hobby, why do you still hang out here?
Ron
Old 05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My question is that if you sold it and you are so sour on the "kit car" part of the hobby, why do you still hang out here? Ron
For the gratuitous a$$ kicking?

A contradictory opinion is welcome, as long as it's informed.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
For the gratuitous a$$ kicking?
Yep, there I was minding my own business, staying out of everybody's way, and not hurting anybody... and GotTheBug just drops a grenade down my shorts for no reason.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Patrick...you have become a troll on this thread.

I am asking you to just move on, so we can stop monitoring it.

thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaq View Post
I seen where they built a Factory Five Cobra but there was five people on it or so at one time.
It was a Factory Five building school or something where they showed people
how to build one.Not only do they exaggerate about the build time but they also exaggerate about the money it takes to put one together.
I read the same article....what wasn't really emphasized was that all the holes for the rivets to hold the panels on had already been drilled, eliminating an incredibly time-consuming part of the build process. So, yeah, the car did go together in a day, but lots of work was done in advance so that those 5 individuals could put it together so quickly.

Those Herculean effors never include interior or body and paint time, either, just putting the kit together into a runner.

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yep, there I was minding my own business, staying out of everybody's way, and not hurting anybody... and GotTheBug just drops a grenade down my shorts for no reason.
Well, you were questioning the sanity, I mean, the business plan, of the new Shell Valley owners and ready to setup a Truth Commission in order to delve into the specifics of whether someone with an architectural degree could run a cobra replica business successfully. Other than that? Yes, you were minding your own business.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley 289 with edelbrock perfomer rpm setup.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
To each his own. I knew I didn't have the experience or more importantly the time to build my own so I had someone build it so I could enjoy the driving. The are guys on this site who have been building for 10 years and some that finish in 3-6 months so I don't think it is fair to blame the manufacturers on over exxagerating the build time. they have no way of knowing the level of each person's expereince, or thier tools available etc.

If you sold it in the last year you just took a bigger hit than you would of last year so that magnifies your frustration but the economy isn't the manufacturers fault.

My question is that if you sold it and you are so sour on the "kit car" part of the hobby, why do you still hang out here?
Ron
I never hung out here i just posted some things about Shell Valley going
out of business was the only reason i posted anything at all to begin with.
I was just informing people of that since i was one of the first people notified to get their car since they were locked out of the building.That was my only reason for ever posting anything on here.Since i had to get my car and they were out of business i felt i should post my experience with kit cars in general.That is all.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Back to the original thread and Looking at your last comment about SV "calling you to get your car out" that shows that SV has business ethics.

I am sure we all have horror stories about companies going BK. My dyno tuner went BK last year and did not notify me and I lost a 408 short block, clutch, and a bunch of other parts ... not even a "sorry". Then a local powder coater went BK with my custom fuel tank there! Couldn't wait for the proceedings (and they are 90 miles away) , so had another one made. I've heard of body shops going BK and taking your tags off the car so they can get some $$$ for the liquidation! Good luck if your dry cleaners goes BK with all of your wife's clothes there ....

Business is business and anyone dripping in $100 at a time to have work done on their car ... well I would put your project on the back burner too - but that's business.

I now own Shell Valley #27 Daytona Coupe and I like the car. Made some changes and upgrades, spoke with Dana a few times and he has been a good source.

As for the new owners of Shell Valley, they have enough resource$ to to buy SV and must know what they are getting into. So Good Luck to the new owners of SV and I would buy from them.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     
Default Good Luck

I just want to add that I own a still dissasembled older shell valley which seems to be a pretty good car . I have talked to Dana for advice and parts on several occasions over the past few years . He has always been helpful,knowledgeable ,most of all accommodating and very passionate about the product.
From my experience if you have that in any business your most of the way there.
I wish Mr. and Mrs. Dana the best of luck !.
Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I find it odd that the new owner hasnt made a post yet but Dana has. Is he trying to convince everybody that things are A.O.K. or is he really trying to convince himself? I think only time will tell what is going to happen with Shell Valley and you guys taking shots at each other wont change anything either way.