Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   NZw4Dq (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/10078-nzw4dq.html)

John 550 08-04-2001 08:31 AM

.synthetic oil

I was wonderind how long to break in before using synthetic oil , I was told 10 k ? How is it that some cars come with it ? Thank you !

BLACKJACK 08-04-2001 12:43 PM

HELLO, JOHN,

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT IT IS ADVISABLE TO LET THE RINGS SEAT PROPERLY BEFORE USING SYNTHETICS. IN NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS THIS SHOULD TAKE 1500 TO 2000 MILES.

I HAVE ALWAYS USED 3000 MILES AS A PERSONAL "MINIMUM" USING CONVENTIONAL (DINOSAUR) BASED OILS, AFTER WHICH I HAVE SWITCHED TO SYNTHETICS.

I HAVE BEEN USING CASTROL SYNTEC AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. PART OF MY PREFERENCE IS BASED ON THE FACT THAT I HAVE ALWAYS USED CASTROL PRODUCTS. ALL THE WAY BACK TO MY RACING DAYS IN THE 50'S & 60'S WHEN I USED "CASTRO-R". MAN, I SURE LOVED THE SMELL OF THAT STUFF. THERE ARE SEVERAL THREADS REGARDING OILS & ADDITIVES AND SOME VERY CONVINCING ARGUMENTS ARE MADE FOR DIFFERENT PRODUCTS.

I GUESS PERSONAL PREFERENCE AND HABIT AND PRODUCT LOYALTY ENTERS INTO IT FOR ALL OF US. I'M A "LEG MAN" MYSELF.

HAVE A REALLY GEAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

Jeff Frigo 08-06-2001 12:17 AM

John:

If your motor was honed with deck plates (if it wasn't, find a different engine builder), your rings should be seated within 100 miles. I would wait for 500 miles just to be safe. I personally don't think its worth the leaks that it will inevatably find in your engine. Unless your engine is perfectly sealed, it will find the smallest crack to get out of. Don't get me wrong, I would use it in a factory built engine that I plan to keep for 100,000 miles or more in a normal type street car, but I doubt you will ever see more than 30,000 miles or so in a Cobra. Even if you plan to put more miles than this on your replica, changing it every 2,000 miles or so with regular oil will make it last forever. You might say: but what about the 15 or 20 HP I will loose with regular oil? Does 450 HP vs. 465 HP really matter?