Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Won't anyone help me (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/107057-wont-anyone-help-me.html)

jojoegen 10-03-2010 05:08 AM

Won't anyone help me

Hi,I have a shell Valley with two rollbars (for driver and pass.).It has the three downward posts at 2" diameter.I was going to drill a hole thru the middle post,buy the eye bolt sold by harness company and get the Vbelt with the extension belt to pass thru the trunk bulkheasd(no metal bars in trunk)and have the snap hook put on by the company and snap it on.Will this be safe?.Thinking simpson,G-force etc.Thanks for the help. John

blykins 10-03-2010 05:50 AM

I don't think I'd anchor a safety belt to the roll bar.

When I had my Shell Valley, I ran the shoulder belts through the rear bulkhead (and used the little safety belt bezels that you can get from suppliers like the Finish Line) and then bolted them to the frame rails under the trunk floor.

There are two 2x2 (if I remember correctly) lengths of tubing that support the trunk. They sit directly under the fiberglass and you can drill through the fiberglass, completely through the tubing, and then run a bolt all the way through it. There's no way you could pull a bolt out of that tubing that way.

G_Edmonds 10-03-2010 05:56 AM

jojo,
Some tracks don't like the Y belts anymore. You might consider that, depending on what you have in mind for your car. Of course that's not the only track issue if you go that route.

jojoegen 10-03-2010 07:23 AM

Thanks guys.I won't race this car.Just want to be safe for my wife and me.I'm trying to picture what brent is saying.Hi Brent .John Genovese here.The car is actually a new Midstates model.If there is an accident won't the bulkhead collapse or break which will leave the belt without tension because it's at a 90 degree angle downward.John

BT SNAKE 10-03-2010 07:25 AM

You need to go over to Shell Vally and buy this...
http://www.shellvalley.com/replicas_...ts/Bracket.jpg

It's the best way to hook up the harness. The originals did this.

Hersh:)

jojoegen 10-03-2010 07:29 AM

Hi guys,Thanks for the reply,Hi Brent.john Genovese here.I'm trying to figure out that if there is an accident and the fiberglass bulkhead breaks,won't the shoulder harness loose it's tension at the 90 degree bend downward due to the force on the bulkhead from the belt?

BT SNAKE 10-03-2010 08:30 AM

If you mount the belts through the bulkhead then you need to mount them to an attachment point that keeps the belts at the proper angle. The attachment point must be one to the frame or crossmember.
Here is a diagram. Just imagine a bulkhead behind the seat.
http://www.takataracingproducts.com/...s/man_side.jpg

Hersh:)

vector1 10-03-2010 08:49 AM

my belts go back from the driver at a 45* angle to the rear down post on the roll bar through an eyelet through a threaded welded in bung. i would not want a shoulder harness to go back at a 90* angle to the driver, wouldn't take much to compress the spine.

jojoegen 10-03-2010 09:32 AM

Vector,So I can go to the rear down post but just don't drill a hole in it to put an eyelet through .Probably it would weaken it is that a true statement?A welded bung is better?.It would definately make the belt come back at a 0 to 4" below the shoulder.What do ya think,am I on the right track?

Michael C Henry 10-08-2010 12:17 PM

You do not want a belt anchor point or the point or where the shoulder belts come from behind the person comming from much below the top of their shoulders . It causes spinal compression. My older EM came through the bulkhead. I bought one of those rollbar cross braces from Finishline. I used heavey SS tubing from EM and had thick SS washers tigged on the ends of the tubing to center it on the SS allthead I used. I think higher back racing seat and dual rollbars are the way to go. I wish mine had them.