SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Brake Upgrade

I'm currently using early heavy 70's GM non Metric front Calipers (Chevy Nova) with Ford Granada Rotors. I would like to improve the braking and reduce the unsprung weight on the front. Are there adapter brackets for Mustang II uprights/spindles that will allow PBR aka Mustang Cobra front Calipers to be used?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
I'm currently using early heavy 70's GM non Metric front Calipers (Chevy Nova) with Ford Granada Rotors. I would like to improve the braking and reduce the unsprung weight on the front. Are there adapter brackets for Mustang II uprights/spindles that will allow PBR aka Mustang Cobra front Calipers to be used?

don't know, but there are brackets for 4 piston Wilwoods. that's what i put on my MII spindles....my nose hits the wheel when i brake hard
i got them at Heidt's suspension
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Which Wilwood Calipers are you using? Thanks for responding....

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

let me find my receipt for part numbers, take me a few minutes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

it looks like they are dynalites. they have their own part numbers for them.

DF-202= rotors (11"), calipers, pads, bracket, hoses, 479.00, this is what i got. fit like a glove, have a choice of GM or Ford bolt pattern
DF-102= bracket kit, don't know the components, 79.00, i would guess just brackets and bolts

this is copied from their catalog its a few years old, prices may have changed

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

been on the car since 2006
Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know in certain cases, the front wheels had to be modified to use the Cobra calipers. They were big and hung out too far toward the outside of the wheel. I remember reading that some people had to have the inside face of the wheel turned down to get them to clear.

The Wilwoods look like the way to go!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

If you are running the 11 Ford Granada and GM metric calipers on Mustang II suspension I think you should look at the Wilwood D-154 product. You will need the model for the .81 thickness rotor. These are a direct bolt on setup and come in single or dual piston configuration.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Going off in another direction. Wilwood is here in Atl this weekend at an auto show. I wish I could post the fellas name since he was so helpful. Anyhow he taught me about using a balance bar and proportioning valve in combination for track cars. When you use and set up the two. First off you crank down all the way on your proportion valve. This will remove it's use from the system. Now you adjust your balance bar to liking. However now you will more than likely have that really hard braking turn where the rears will still lock. That's now where you start to dial in the proportion valve for these turns.

He also talked how important it is to use the rears as much as possible. Better rear braking is better braking overall. A proportion valve only set a point where diminished increase in pressure starts. Increasing pressure at 50% value. Say you set it at 800 lbs., once you reach this pressure, the valve allows an increase from that point at 50%. So 900 lbs. would be 850 lbs. through the valve.

For a track car guys are not using the knob/rotary screw valve. But the six position lever/detente style for easier use and visuals. So now you have two brake adjustments inside the car. Makes sense to me!

Knob/Rotary

Lever/Detente

http://www.summitracing.com/expertad...lanta-motorama

Ralphy