Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Best Practice - Painting Engine Parts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/133654-best-practice-painting-engine-parts.html)

car4jim 06-13-2015 11:46 AM

Best Practice - Painting Engine Parts

Any feedback on the best way or best practice to paint engine parts, oil pan, front cover, etc. Interested in best longevity and appearance. Rattle can, spray rig, what type of paint?

Sydney 06-13-2015 04:42 PM

I have had really good luck with Eastwood's hi temp engine paint mixed with their urethane activator. I do 2 light mist coats and 3 fairly heavy coats waiting about 20 minutes between each coat. I use a HVLP touch up gun. Looks and durability has been excellent so far.

bobcowan 06-13-2015 05:00 PM

Meticulous surface prep is the key to any coating. But powder coating will give you the most durable finish.

kevins2 06-13-2015 05:51 PM

I started with a '68 side oiler block so, of course, it had some surface rust. Used Eastwood Fast Etch - worked great. Then Eastwood primer followed by hi-temp ceramic paint. I decided to brush it on and it turned out well. Photos in my album "ERA #795" of the engine before and after painting if you're interested. I agree with the surface prep comment. I only have 7,000 miles on my engine so not a longevity testimony but the paint is holding up perfectly so far.

Kevin

car4jim 06-13-2015 11:06 PM

Anybody tried the POR15 engine enamel? Seems like a good product. To be honest, I bought the Duplicolor enamel with ceramic, but a little leery of engine paint in a rattle-can. I've used to paint some engine brackets, not sure about painting an engine pan. Or just go for the powder paint.

ng8264723 06-28-2015 05:52 AM

SEM epoxy black. great for engines