Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Finally got a cobra help please (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/140952-finally-got-cobra-help-please.html)

Tessa67 05-22-2018 08:00 PM

Finally got a cobra help please

So I bought this 67 shell valley cobra from a military man the day before he left for Alaska. All I know is that it was built in 2000 with a SMBC 327 with a auto trans. The brakes are horrible which im working on. I don't know alot about these cars but am capable enough to do all the repairs. What i need help in is the rear end. I want to put an independent rear suspension on it. Right now its a solid rear axle with QA1 coil overs on it. What should I change it to. Eventually I want to change the engine and trans. Looking for an upgrade that will work with what I have and in the future. I'm just triing for a solid driver no race or track.

lnfletcher 05-23-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tessa67 (Post 1444793)
I'm just triing for a solid driver no race or track.

Curious, why go to the expense of the IRS?

redmt 05-23-2018 03:14 PM

Where are you located?

Grubby 05-23-2018 04:59 PM

Jag IRS is a pretty easy swap. It is self contained in a cage. Look at the ERA web site for some pictures.

John

vntgspd 05-23-2018 08:02 PM

Contact Dana at Shell Valley. They are nice folks to deal with. I'm pretty sure they offer an IRS option now and I wouldn't be surprised if they share the necessary frame modification details with you as well as the hardware they use. I think it may be T-bird based.

A Jag IRS is a nice package as well...

twobjshelbys 05-23-2018 08:19 PM

But why bother? If you're just going to drive it on the street it'll be a big chunk of change and it won't make your car more valuable. My Mustangs with straight axle were awesome and I think did a better job of getting power to the ground.

xb-60 05-24-2018 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1444868)
But why bother?....

I agree with Tony. Why bother? It will cost you a lot to change the rear end completely, and same comment for the engine and transmission.
Why not enjoy it, spend only what you have to on it, and if you then after a period of time decide that Cobra replicas are really what you want, sell it and buy something with the IRS and the engine and trans. that you want.

Cheers,
Glen

mikeinatlanta 05-24-2018 03:54 AM

Best way to do the swap is spend some time making the car look as presentable as possible, sell it, buy car with IRS. Unless you paid too much it won't cost much and you'll still be driving a cobra.

twobjshelbys 05-24-2018 07:08 AM

Another aspect of major mechanical changeovers is that the car is down for the count. That could a big chunk of the season if you do it yourself. Why not drive it for the rest of the summer and then undertake whatever changes you finally decide you still want during the winter downtime? You may find that the suspension is just fine for what you want to do with it.

PNJSNAK 05-24-2018 07:19 AM

Agree with why bother if you don't plan to track it.
If the rear end does not have adjustability, I would change out the solid members to ones that can be adjusted. That is easy to do.
The 4 link usually comes with solid bars. You can get adjustable bars from Shell Valley.
Pictures?

vntgspd 05-24-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1444873)
I agree with Tony. Why bother? It will cost you a lot to change the rear end completely, and same comment for the engine and transmission.
Why not enjoy it, spend only what you have to on it, and if you then after a period of time decide that Cobra replicas are really what you want, sell it and buy something with the IRS and the engine and trans. that you want.

Cheers,
Glen

Yep! This is exactly the path that I took and couldn't be happier with the process.

cycleguy55 05-24-2018 12:55 PM

The best way to swap in an IRS is to change the VIN at the same time. IOW, sell what you've got and buy a car with an IRS.

Edit: But you're on the right track with the brakes - at least make it safe to drive before you sell it.

Tessa67 05-25-2018 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice. My current rear end feels loose when i'm driving. I thought the IDRS would help with that and increase value. I'm going to just redo all the bushings in my current rear end to help tighten it up. Thanks again.

Tessa67 05-25-2018 10:20 AM

Sorry REDMT i'm just outside St. Louis.

ShelbyStang 06-29-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1444873)

Cheers,
Glen

Agreed

fastd 06-29-2018 11:19 AM

I'm no expert but...

figure out what is making your rear end loose...bad design, improper installation or otherwise.

Jury is out as to whether you'll pick up performance by switching to an IRS (sacrilege I know). Ride height adjustability clearly better with the IRS, other than that, it seems to depend about quality of parts and installation.

Figure it costs at a minimum, what $5k for an IRS? versus what is the cost of fixing up what you have...

Might help with value if you were to sell your car...i think it depends on what the total package looks like to see if your car screams for an IRS or whether buyers just wouldn't care.

fastd 06-29-2018 11:21 AM

you already have qa1 coilovers on it...that makes me more strongly think that you should leave it alone and just tighten it up...ford 9"? definitely leave it alone.