Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Appropriate master cylinder size? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/144050-appropriate-master-cylinder-size.html)

xb-60 09-18-2020 11:21 PM

Appropriate master cylinder size?

I have already fitted my master cylinders, and I'm about to fit my master cylinder reservoirs....one for the front brakes, one for the rear brakes, and then one for the clutch.

I have available two reservoir sizes:
4 fluid oz. / 120ml
10.7 fluid oz. / 320ml

Are the smaller reservoirs adequate in size....particularly as each brake circuit operates only two calipers?

Cheers,
Glen

joyridin' 09-20-2020 06:36 AM

Yes. You are not really pulling a lot of fluid from the master when you hit the brakes because the lines and calipers are all full already. The only issue you would run into is if your pads wore out and you never checked the fluid. If you look at a factory GM master, the rear portion is very small. Even if you had 4 wheel disks, it probably only held 6 ounces or so.

ERA174 09-20-2020 07:35 AM

I would prefer the 320ml reservoir if the space is available where you would need to mount them. My reason is when you need to flush the system the larger reservoir would require far less topping off to complete the task and less risk of introducing air into the system due to the larger capacity.

joyridin' 09-20-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA174 (Post 1482915)
I would prefer the 320ml reservoir if the space is available where you would need to mount them. My reason is when you need to flush the system the larger reservoir would require far less topping off to complete the task and less risk of introducing air into the system due to the larger capacity.

When you flush the system, you should suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir, fill it with new fluid, then flush all the calipers. Just adding fluid is pretty worthless as if the old fluid is contaminated, the new fluid will now also be contaminated.

ERA174 09-20-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1482925)
When you flush the system, you should suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir, fill it with new fluid, then flush all the calipers. Just adding fluid is pretty worthless as if the old fluid is contaminated, the new fluid will now also be contaminated.

I know the procedure and assumed virtually everyone else does, reason for my recommendation. My point was, the larger reservoir after it is emptied of the old brake fluid and refilled with clean fluid will have more clean fluid to flush the system and require less topping off. Sorry I didn't make myself clear in the first post.

xb-60 09-21-2020 06:35 AM

Thanks for the opinions. Yes the larger reservoirs would make bleeding the brakes a little easier, however I think the smaller reservoirs might look more acceptable.

Cheers
Glen