Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   351W "Cobra" valve cover clearance help (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/16667-351w-cobra-valve-cover-clearance-help.html)

Okiesnake 04-29-2002 08:58 AM

351W "Cobra" valve cover clearance help

I have a 351W with RPM Aluminum Heads. I don’t have roller rocker arms. I have the “COBRA Powered by Ford” reproduction aluminum valve covers.
Even after banging the crap out of the tin splash baffles to get additional clearance, I still get the rocker arms tapping on the bottom of the tin baffles. Granted I could remove the baffles entirely but that would just end of throwing oil into the oil breather and eventually get on the outside of the motor.
I was considering either getting the spacers from Tony D. Branda (example of in link below)
http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetai...D=346&DeptID=6
or
the Tall “COBRA Powered by Ford” reproduction aluminum valve covers (example of on link below)
http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetai...D=346&DeptID=6
HOWEVER, I thought I recalled someone saying that these were too narrow or something to work with aluminum heads? Does anyone have any input or experience on this? If they would work, I think I would like to go with the “Tall” covers instead of the spacers because they would only require 1 set of gaskets. (less chances of oil leaks)
Okiesnake

Ron61 04-29-2002 09:05 AM

Re 351 valve covers

I am using the regular Cobra valve covers on my 351 Windsor and I have the trick flow twisted aluminum heads with roller rockers. I got a set of valve cover gaskets from FelPro that are laminated and thicker than normal gaskets. I have used these for about 5 years and never had a rocker touch my baffels.

Ron61

DAVID GAGNARD 04-29-2002 10:17 AM

Okiesnake;

I have the same valve covers as you on my 351-W with roller rockers and all I was remove the tin baffles and trim them with tin snips....reinstalled them and still had one rocker ticking,removed again and trimmed a little more. Been like that for 5 or 6 years now with no interference.....

however,I would love to have a set of the new tall valve covers from Tony Branda.....

David

Roscoe 04-29-2002 11:11 AM

I am running AFR aluminum heads with Harland Sharp Rollers with the Tony Branda Tall Covers. No problems at all.

Roscoe

Jim Downard 04-29-2002 02:17 PM

I just purchased a set of the taller cobra valve covers from Tony D. Branda and put them on top of a set of Roush 200 cast iron heads. I don't think I'll have any clearance problems, but my valve covers came with a letter from Tony D. Branda saying that if I did I could use TWO valve cover gaskets to cure the problem.

Jim Downard

Slide 04-29-2002 07:45 PM

I have the T. Branda tall covers with alum. J302 Ford heads and Crower roller rockers with no interference. Perfect fit.

427sharpe 04-29-2002 09:15 PM

A cheap fix for now would be to get two sets of cork valve cover gaskets and glue them together with weatherstrip adhesive, then install them (you'll have 2 gaskets on each side). I had to do this on my GT350 when I installed roller rockers, and have never had a problem.

Silk 04-30-2002 08:55 AM

Okie,

I have the same valve covers and the same heads, and ran into the very same problem. As you probably determined, the issue is the width of the valve covers, not the height. I finally solved the problem by adding spacers (even though I'm not running roller rockers), running the car for about 100 miles, then removing the valve covers and using a Dremel to relieve several areas on the valve covers where I was still getting contact. Now runs quiet.

Okiesnake 05-02-2002 05:00 PM

I think I'll try the double cork thing. Thanks everyone for your input.

jopper 05-03-2002 05:35 AM

I've got the tall "Cobra Powered by Ford" valve covers with Crane Gold roller rockers. I got valve cover gaskets from Jegs that worked great. I bought two sets just in case. A bit pricey but well worth it. Here's the link http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...228&prmenbr=76

Draco 05-03-2002 07:36 AM

You could check here, These are a set of replica 427 covers to fit a 351W. They may solve your problem.
Draco

JBaird2027@aol.com

Go to "Cobras For Sale" on club cobra. Go to page 6 and scroll down to topic
"SPF #1070" for sale look at these on his motor. There they are.

Mr.Fixit 05-03-2002 04:18 PM

Determine exactly where the contact is occurring inside the valve cover. Many of us have been surprised to find contact on the side of the cover not the roof. Use Dykem marking fluid or a magic marker to color the inside areas you think may be questionable. Run it for just a minute, remove and check for shiny spots. Add clearance with a die grinder as needed. The Fel-pro double thick cork gaskets are a quick band-aid type fix, but do often solve the problem. The tall 427 style finned covers for 351w's hit on the intake side right out of the box when installed on edelbrock heads and require a little bit of touch up work themselves as well as thick gaskets.

Okiesnake 05-03-2002 07:21 PM

I'll try your tip Mr. Fixit this weekend.
Thanks

Rick Parker 05-03-2002 10:42 PM

Heres the Deal

Generally speaking the cause for this problem is that most of the aftemarket heads use Chevy (oops) length valves and springs which leads to a a taller installed height along with a change in the geometry. It pushes the valve stem side of the rocker further up towards the roof of the valve cover. Combine this with the various heights of the valve cover/cylinder head gasket mating surfaces relative to the top of the rocker arm and you have the recipe for a real headache. Just do some careful measuring, even with clay (similar to checking valve to piston clearance) if necessary (do this on a cold non running engine) and determine what clearances you now have and what you need. There are some tin covers that will fit many roller setups. They have
"Powered By Ford" stamped into them, mid to late 70's stuff.

Rick.......