Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   302 EFI to Carb conversion..NEED HELP! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/19000-302-efi-carb-conversion-need-help.html)

Blake Olson 07-28-2002 03:42 PM

302 EFI to Carb conversion..NEED HELP!

I need some help.

Got a 1992 Mustang 302, pulled and on the engine stand.

I have an edelbrock performer intake and I have some questions...(pardon me if I sound ignorant on engine lingo)

Has anyone had experience converting and EFI motor to a Carb motor? If so, can you PLEASE help???

The only accessories I will need to run are the water pump and alternator. What did you do for brackets for the alternator? Did you have to "plug" any holes where sensors or emmissions stuff was?

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

blake

HighPlainsDrifter 07-28-2002 10:11 PM

Blake,
It's pretty well staight forward, the most important thing is to get a distributor gear from a 5L and install it on your old style distributor as the roller cam needs that matching gear otherwise you will destroy the cam and gear.
Good Luck,
Perry.:cool:

aumoore 07-28-2002 11:56 PM

converted a explorer motor to carb:
Performer RPM intake(do not forget to order a set of bolts for the intake I used stainless)

Holley 600(I should have gone with a DP because I had to convert the secondaries to put jet extenders in. They help at the drag strip)

mallory unilight(Mallory tech said their new gears are compatable with a roller cam...works so far 1200 miles)

Mallory ballast resistor and a MSD Coil(no computer/ignition box needed with the Unilight)

Fox Conversion kit(mustang oil pan, front cover and harmonic balancer)you should have all this already

mid 80's LTD/Marquis water pump(do not get heavy duty the pully flange is too big)

March adjustable alt bracket #1465
http://www.marchperf.com/pg30.html

Ford performance v-belt pulleys for #8509D
http://www.fordracing.com/parts/sear...&order=&page=3

Alternator for a 1970 ford pickup 60amp(replace pullye with one from pulley kit above)

gaskets for above parts

spark plug wires

That is the important parts anyway

Oh yeah if you replace the intake and put headers on you should not have to plug anything except maybe the thermiactor?? holes on the back of the Mustang heads(my explorer heads do not have these holes)

Steve Jones 07-29-2002 06:00 AM

Guys,

I have a friend that is looking to do the same thing (convert an EFI 302 to carb), but in his case the goal is to turn the motor into a 60 era 289 clone. I have heard of using the Merc water pump in order to get a reverse rotation put what about v-belt pulleys and brackets to replace the sepentine belt? Does March make them as well? Is there a better source that looks more "60's" than the polished March pulleys? What other problems may we encounter? The plan at this point is to use aftermarket aluminum manifold & heads such as Edlebrock or ?. If anyone has any suggestions on stock replacement components that can be used, please be specific on year(s) make & model; if you go into a parts store such as Pep Boys or Autozone without a specific year, make & model of car for any part you need, they look at you with this blank stare and go into brain lock. :rolleyes:

Steve

Jack21 07-29-2002 03:18 PM

Fuel pump?!

EFI fuel pump is in tank and puts out too much pressure for carb. Need to convert to either carb'd in-tank fuel pump, or mechanical fuel pump on timing cover with just a pickup in the tank. If mechancial pump, need to put eccentric on cam to drive it, and an timing cover to mount fuel pump on. Ford did away with fuel pump mount on late EFI timing covers because fuel pump mounts in tank.

Satanpez 07-29-2002 05:05 PM

Steve:

You can buy pulleys and brackets from many Classic Mustang parts places. Best bet is to buy everything for a "66" or so mustang. Alternator, pulleys, etc.

If you're using a 5.0, you may need specific pulleys to bolt onto the harmonic balancer.

You can also buy the timing cover, and oil pan for the older 289's.

-steve in nj-