Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Engine stall on hard braking cure? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/20280-engine-stall-hard-braking-cure.html)

Jack21 09-13-2002 03:51 PM

Engine stall on hard braking cure?

Hard braking causes engine to stall.

Have experienced this on other Holley equipped cars before, but very fast decelleration on Cobra makes it worse. Hit the brakes good and hard and motor stalls.

I know Summit/Holley have primary jet extenders so fuel gets picked up on foreward slosh fuel during braking.

What works to fix this?

mikiec 09-13-2002 03:58 PM

Actually what Holley suggests are some secondary vent whistles.

The cause is fuel spilling over from secondary fuel bowls.

Plastic pieces that fit in the secondary fuel bowl. Also, lowering your fuel level can help some.

Been there done that.

mike

392cobra 09-13-2002 04:02 PM

vent baffle ?

if you put extenders on the primary you will have a fuel starvation problem on acceleration.
i take it you have a vent baffle (whistle) on the secondaries,if not that is needed.fuel level set where it just trickels out.
off road holleys have the primary & secondary vents tied together
with a tube.forms an arc,with the vent opening at the top.

Pete C 09-13-2002 04:07 PM

Stall on braking

I had the same problem and the vent whistles cured it! This is particularly problematic with the dual quad set up as the carbs are on backward!

Good luck, Pete

Jack21 09-14-2002 11:40 AM

Carb is reasonably new 700 DP, and came with vent whistles already installed. Floats are set to where fuel just dribbles out. Only happens on hard braking. Engine restarts right away, but still potentially dangerous driving condition.

Will try connecting vents with a tube. Any other suggestions?

Jim Werth 09-15-2002 10:58 AM

Try spark plug boots on the vents. Seen this done before. Cheap way to check if thats it. Jim

mikiec 09-15-2002 11:21 AM

To check if it is a vent issue try to connect both vents with a piece of tubing. If this stops the stalling then try a longer vent whistle. If it does not then your throttle plates are closing off completely. causing a very lean condition. Holley has a dashpot that keeps the throttle plates from closing down quickly.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...MSCA/11-4.html

Or try setting your idle speed a little higher.

Mike

SCOBRAC 09-15-2002 07:23 PM

a small piece of rubber hose extending the vent whistle by about 2" works most of the time.. not real sexy but you only see it when you have the air cleaners off..

Mr.Fixit 09-16-2002 07:49 AM

Rubber connector hose as stated , plus the white vent baffles that are about 2" long made by holley.

Tommy 09-17-2002 04:31 AM

Bought a vent whistle - now what?

The timing of this thread was perfect for solving my engine stall problem. I managed to track down and buy a vent whistle with miniature rivet. But it didn't come with instructions. Before I disassemble my carb, I'd like to have some idea of where the vent whistle goes and how it installs. Can anyone provide instructions or directions to a source of installation instructions? Thanks.

jeff_taylor 09-17-2002 07:20 AM

Tommy,
The vent whistle is installed in the vent hole in the metering block of the carb.
1.) Remove the fuel bowl and metering block.
2.) Insert the vent whistle into the vent hole on the side toward the fuel bowl.
3.) Drill an appropriately sized hole for the drive rivet through the top of the metering block and the vent whistle. (Can't remember the recommended number size drill for this - anybody else know?)
4.) Tap the drive rivet into the drilled hole, securing the vent whistle in place.
5.) CLEAN ANY DRILL DEBRIS FROM THE METERING BLOCK! Reassemble the carb with new gaskets.

I believe Holley still sells what they call a "Trick Kit" that included a full rebuild kit, plus a variety of tuning pieces and the vent whistle and jet extensions.

Good Luck!

Mr.Fixit 09-17-2002 08:16 AM

Yes that is it. Instals on the metering block, facing out towards the fuel bowls. Up top, above the float. Do both bowls. I don't know why holley doesn't put these in all their carbs, it would cost three cents to do.