Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Jag rear end help (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/49177-jag-rear-end-help.html)

1GR8BOSS 01-13-2004 10:50 AM

Jag rear end help

I'm in the middle of shortening and rebuilding my Jaguar DANA 44 rear end, just a couple of quick questions.
1. Is it true that you can use Chevy u-joints? If so, what part numbers are available?
2. The Jag rear end that I aquired has no u-joint on the third member, there is a flange with 4 bolt holes which looks like something gets bolted to it which has provisions for u-joints.
Does this come from another manufacturer or can I buy it new?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rick

rdorman 01-13-2004 02:23 PM

The half shaft do use a typical chevy u-joint. Look for Dana Spicer 5-160X. Not sure where you aquire the 'other part'. Try Jag or a wrecking yard. Do a search in google, I am sure you will turn up something!
Rick

casaleenie 01-13-2004 02:30 PM

There is a Jag site CWI, possibly that lists and supplies all of these parts...
Do a Google search and it will turn you to the site...

poorboy 01-13-2004 03:30 PM

1GR8BOSS,
We use Presion joints #330. I heard CWI quit doing Jag rear ends.

Poorboy

stevehaygood 01-13-2004 07:33 PM

GR8BOSS,
www.jaglovers.org has links to anything having to do with jags

Also the Haynes manual is pretty good.
I am fabricating my own chassis and am about to put on the rear clip. How wide is the track you are "trimming the rear to??

jschiller 01-14-2004 02:58 PM

1GR8BOSS

I think the item you are looking for is a flange yoke, spicer part no. 2-2-459. It adapts the round flange on the rear's pinion to a u-joint, specifically a spicer 5-153X. Then you will need a spicer 2-28-437 welded on the rear of the driveshaft to mate up to the ujoint. Hope this helps.

1GR8BOSS 01-15-2004 05:38 AM

Really appreciate all of the information as it is the one I am specifically interested in. It is very satisfying knowing that I can rely on other Club members to come through with the information I need to build my car.
Thanks once again,
Rick
P.S. to Mr. stevehaygood.... I am looking at 52'' to 54''wide.

stevehaygood 01-15-2004 04:14 PM

1GR8BOSS,
GREAT THANKS VERY MUCH!!! SEND SOME PICS AS YOU PROGRESS!!