Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Anyone make an Aluminum block 460?? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/52864-anyone-make-aluminum-block-460-a.html)

Spoony 04-19-2004 09:01 AM

Anyone make an Aluminum block 460??

I'm thinking for doing an Aluminum Block 460, does anyone make one?

djseed 04-19-2004 10:19 AM

Ford makes one - M-6010-A96-103. It is available from Raceparts Distribution.

http://www.racepartsdistribution.com/index.htm

It is under Engine Blocks.

cobrashoch 04-19-2004 11:19 AM

Spoony - be for warned that the short deck motorsports (stock type replacement) block is not any lighter than most stock iron blocks. I know, I have one in by garage. Fact is some of the iron blocks may be a bit lighter! The alloy blocks get their weight from extra webbing.
cobrashock

Spoony 04-19-2004 01:32 PM

Thanks for the information guys.
I'm not sure if I'm going this way yet, but it is an interesting option.

RPRICE 04-19-2004 03:50 PM

Spoony, I have one of the RDI Ford blocks. Run the other way as fast as you can. The quality of the casting is sh**. Be prepared to spend considerably more time and money on prep work. Flashing everywhere. Oil galley/water passage seepage. Many have to be sleeved in this area to prevent oil in the water or vs. versa. RDI says it is a race component and no warranty exist. I countered that this an initial quality check that they as exclusive suppliers of the al bb should do. Complete engine removal and teardown required. One of the management staff at RDI agree to cover all cost, and was given the estimate by the intaller. 4 weeks later when the bill was submitted, they had fogotten. And sent a check for about 18% of the estimate. I have a very hard time dealing with people who produce a crappy product at a premium price and then don't support it. If you go forward, I would make sure the engine builder has knowledge of what he is getting into and will stand behind his work as well as the other components.
Richard
Memphis

Spoony 04-19-2004 06:21 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the information. I have emailed the owner of RDI, with a copy of your post. (not using any names or handles) Being a business owner myself I thought it would be useful to let this gentleman know what some of his past customers think of their product and service, and more importantly what information some of his potential customers are receiving about his company. I'll let you know if I get anything back.

Thanks again for the great heads up.

cobrashoch 04-23-2004 12:03 AM

Spoony - Don't know anything about them yet but Eliminator makes a full range of 385 blocks.
try; www.eliminatorproducts.com
I noticed a couple of the listed dealers are advertisers on this board.
Cobrashock:) :)

Mike Simard 04-23-2004 04:02 AM

Aren't the Eliminator blocks all cast iron?
BTW, the Raceparts Dist. website had a nice looking cobra pictured, I wonder if thats Mike Steinhouse's with the Alum windsor?

cobrashoch 04-24-2004 10:55 PM

Mike - If the aluminum blocks weigh the same as the stock iron blocks, then there is really no advantage to aluminum blocks in my mind. Other than cooling possibly. Eliminator claims to make a iron alloy block, for more money of course, that weighs 10% lighter. As I said above, I really don't know much about them. Other than they created a small freckus of ou's and aw's at the Columbus Ohio Ford show. I also know from experience that a iron 385 can be lightened up about 25 pounds in most cases. The rules for Cobras are different from rods you know. Weight does count for something.
Cobrashock