Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   How Close is to Close? for sidepipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/56533-how-close-close-sidepipes.html)

David Biele 08-10-2004 08:45 PM

How Close is to Close? for sidepipes

Hey Guys,

Just tried my new sidepipes I am having made and I think the muffler shop might have belled the ends a little deep. When the pipe exits the cut-out in the body the inner pipes have about 1/4" of clearence to the body. Car is painted so the cut-outs can not be opened. Think it will work or will I blister the paint? As soon as they ninety out along the body they are fine.

David

MAXVELO 08-11-2004 05:55 AM

PIPE CLEARANCE....

You also need to take into consideration "movement" from tourqueover. 1/4" doesnt give you much room to move..:confused: %/

davidlee 08-11-2004 07:40 AM

I think 1/4" is too close. Torque and heat may cause trouble. You can use a dremmel tool with a drum sander bit or a router type bit to enlarge the cut out.I know you said you car was all ready painted but that should not be a problem. Get a small amount of touch up paint and brush in the inside lip of the opening. I know it sounds crude but I had to do it my car. Once you get the side pipes installed you can't see the touch up work. If you angle the grinder slightly inward you won't effect the paint on the side of the car just the paint on the edge of the opening. I hope this helps. And oh yes I did cringe when I first put the grinder on the car.
David

mikiec 08-11-2004 09:15 AM

I recently had the cutouts enlarged on my car after changing the headers and side pipes. No problems with the paint. I'm getting ready to do it again as I changed out the motor mounts and they are 1/4 higher than the old worn out ones.

Mike

tommyboy 08-11-2004 09:18 AM

3/4" all the way around !

David Biele 08-11-2004 04:41 PM

Thanks Guys,

I decided to rework the sidepipes.

David

Michael C Henry 08-12-2004 10:31 PM

If it's too close you'll find out after a day of driving in traffic on a warm day.

FFR428 08-14-2004 03:03 PM

Maybe a spacer of some kind could be used. You would probably have to have some made though unless you have access to a machine shop or similar. It would also offer one more point of exaust leakage though. Just a thought......G.

Michael C Henry 08-14-2004 07:03 PM

I ended up making a copper flange gaskets just inside the body.I used 3/8" copper .to add enough to get 3/4" clearence between the body and sidepipes.I sure wouldn't get any closer.