Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   T5HD transmission for 460 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/59814-t5hd-transmission-460-a.html)

Dominik 12-18-2004 06:17 AM

T5HD transmission for 460

good morning,
I just bought a T5-HD transmission which my dealer recommends behind a 460 from FORD motorsports (the 535hp version).
is that box strong enough for street use?

thanks,

Dominik

blykins 12-18-2004 06:21 AM

I wouldn't think so. If you look at the torque rating on those, they're rated for 330 lb-ft. If you plan on having a lot of fun (and I say you are or you wouldn't buy a 535hp engine), plan on breaking parts. It most definitely wouldn't last on a drag strip.

Buzz 12-18-2004 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dom, it should be fine if it's one of these from G-Force. Estimated to handle 600hp/600tq in a "normal weight" car, you'll have a hard time breaking it in a lightweight Cobra unless you plan on having my sister in law along as a passenger on all your quarter mile runs:
http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
I have a regular T5 behind a 450ft/lb stroker in my Unique and I was told to expect an early failure. Well it has survived numerous dragstrip launches and powershifts as well as a previous owner who loved to entertain the masses with 1st and 2nd gear burnouts and smoky donuts.

Dominik 12-18-2004 08:31 AM

Hmm,

I am listening.
I was told that the T5 is only available in the HD configuration:

These Super-Duty T-5 transmissions from Ford Racing are world class.

Features:
* Heavy-duty "World Class" T-5 5-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter.
* Double-moly 2nd speed, 3rd speed and countershaft cluster gears.
* Carbon-fiber 3-4 blocker rings.
* Improved synchronizers and bearings.
* 1-1/16 in. diameter 10-tooth input spline.
* 28-tooth output spline.
* 7-tooth speedometer drive gear.
* Cobra-style pocket bearing.
* Steel input bearing retainer.

No torque rating...

Mayby I use a toploader instead, but I moved the trans crossmember by 1.5" already and modified the Lakewood bellhousing to accept this box.
It's a customer car.

It's not the G-Force.

thanks for your input,

Dominik

Buzz 12-18-2004 08:49 AM

The "world class" moniker is a designation used to distinguish the newer, upgraded T5's from earlier, lower rated versions. T5's are generally distingiushed as WC (world class) or NWC (non world class). As for the Ford super duty version, it would be risky at best to use it behind a 500+ HP big block.

Dominik 12-18-2004 09:34 PM

thanks Buzz (from St.Lucia!)

I make another plan with the transmission.
I still have a rebuilt CR toploader in my garage, better use this one...

cheers,

Dominik, cape town

Ant 07-18-2005 06:57 PM

T5HD transmission for 460

Hey Dominik

Have you looked at these they are designed for a big block.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp

Even if you had the G-force T5 with the 600hp rating it would probably need the stronger case, and the drag boys are blowing them but they are doing in the 9 seconds quarter miles, but I guess anything can blow when you start going that quick!

Dominik 07-18-2005 10:00 PM

9 seconds... :-)
you brake a lot to get there!

I use a toploader for now, I don't need a 5th gear.

thanks for the link.

dominik

Ant 07-18-2005 10:27 PM

T5

No, I have never been faster than in the 10 seconds, and I am not a drag guy, but I read a lot of stuff on the drag forums they are trying in one class, as the automatics have been allowed more free range, so they are trying to get them to allow boxes like Jerico etc, but apparently they can be made clutchless, so they are stuck with the T5, and the G-force gear kit is allowed but it isnt the answer with big power, but let me not take things away from G-force it probably isnt designed to be getting some of the loadings that sticky tires and huge power.