Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   How much HP/TQ did you gain from Dyno Tune? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/74895-how-much-hp-tq-did-you-gain-dyno-tune.html)

Mark Brye 12-01-2006 06:45 PM

How much HP/TQ did you gain from Dyno Tune?

I was just wondering how much HP/TQ that people have gained by having their Cobra's dyno tuned? A couple months ago after swapping heads, I feel my Cobra picked up substantial numbers. Not just from the head swap but from the actual tune. I really feel that a dyno tune was the best bang for the buck on my Cobra. Plus you get to see what it makes and that its safe.
So what has everyone else seen for power improvements from a tune?

lineslinger 12-01-2006 08:33 PM

Good question,
If I may ask, how much on the per hour, and did you find it worth your expenditure?

Power Surge 12-01-2006 09:20 PM

Well, as a dyno owner and tuner, I can usually get an average of about 20rwhp from tuning a Cobra. Very rare that they are set up optimally from the get go. I have gotten as much as 70rwhp from some cars that had problems, that I was able to find with the car on the dyno. So technically that's not from the tuning alone, but it's something that wouldn't have shown up without the car being on the dyno.

Speedysnake 12-02-2006 10:40 AM

I took mine to the local Dynojet shop. They explained the different options & costs in advance. There were no surprises and I gained about 24 HP between the second and seventh pull. Torque improvement was similar.

They found & resolved several small issues. Some of which really didn't require the dyno, except that it made it possible to see the results easily.

The most noticeable improvement is the smoother acceleration, gained by a combination of changing the spring in the vacumn secondaries and adjusting the accelerator pump.

I'm real happy with it.

Paul

Dwight 12-02-2006 12:10 PM

dyno

I had my Cobra dyno'ed last Sept. He charged $100 and we did 12 pulls. We upped the fuel pressure and gain but the second time we lost. Upped the timing and gained. He felt that we could get more with an increase in timing, but I stopped him. I think I need a chip to gain more from this motor. I have another motor that I'm going to install and then back to the dyno. Money well spend.
Dwight

Roscoe 12-02-2006 02:06 PM

Here's an article I wrote for Kit Car Magazine on the very subject....

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...yno_test_tune/

Roscoe

J Persons 12-02-2006 03:01 PM

First pull produced 356 HP @ 5955 RPM, and 328 FT LBS TQ @ 5517 RPM.
Last pull produced 372 HP @ 6156 RPM, and 340 FT LBS @ 5262 RPM.

They went up 3 sizes on the secondary mains, and installed a one size larger pump shooter on the primary to cure a tip in stumble. Cost was $250.00, for three pulls, and that included the parts.
John

1blackbb66 01-07-2007 10:29 PM

A hundred bucks for 12 pulls????? Must be your "good" brother in law!
The going rate most anywhere is $125 to $150 per hour.

Excaliber 01-07-2007 10:35 PM

A local dyno here is $100 for three pulls with very little time to do anything in between. I suspect the 100 for 3 is a 'hook', more when you find out you DO need to make changes.

Nice article Roscoe!

Dwight 01-08-2007 02:52 AM

Dyno

1Blackbb66, I live in North Ala and the dyno is owned by a young guy. He does a lot of tuner work. He will meet you just about any time, any day. His base price is $60 for 3 or 4 pulls. We plan on going back soon and dyno'ing Coach's KC 461 in a Hurricane.

Dwight

easystep 01-08-2007 05:58 AM

If an engine is dyno-tuned and then placed in the car, is there any benefit to having it re-tuned after a few miles?

Speedysnake 01-08-2007 06:57 AM

The Dyno shop here in GA charged $150 for a total of 7 "pulls" and included the labor for all the adjustments and jetting changes required. The only extra was $5 for the carb gaskets. I felt like they treated me and my car pretty good:)

JRoss 01-08-2007 07:25 AM

I took mine to Keith Craft Motorsports in Plano and had Guru Rob do the dyno tune when the motor had about 300 miles on it.

First pull we got 468 rwhp.
adjust fuel pressure
set timing
change primary and secondary jets (many times)
change air bleeds
he also messed with the power valve ???
dance around and perform his voodoo magic
13 pulls later we got 511 rwhp.

Rob charged $250 and we were on the dyno for about 1:45. By far the cheapest HP I have bought for the car. There is a graph of the last pull in my gallery if you are interested.

John