Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Where did my 427 go?

Now that I have you attend, here is my dilemma. I was all set to make my dream a reality. I had to decided to get a SPF (considered ERA, but the SPF quality and value were hard to beat). I’m not the traditionalist, so I wanted dual roll bars, 18 in wheels, high back seat, Dart block 427 stroker, to name a few (not good on ERA resale value).

My cobra fever started because I wanted to build some of the car. A lack of time and skills prevented me from going FFR (hence the roller approach using SPF).
Then, it hit me. Maybe, ERA (quality, but more expensive) is the way to go and I can specify how much of a roller I would want to tackle. BUT, I would need to go authentic, no dual roll bars, no high back seat, and no Dart block 427 stroker (I’m still going 17 or 18 in wheels). I would need to go Aluminum 427 to be happy, so, I do a little research and WHEW , I thought the SPF was an expensive toy (and it is).

Naturally , I started looking at the ERA 289 as a way to save a few coins and in addition get to use that Dart block 427 stroker (and not compromise resale value).

My question is what do you think are the pros and cons of acquiring a 289 over a 427?

Before you start, let me tell you what I think I know. It would be easier to resale the 427, because there is more demand for them. I know that the choice is really a matter of taste, but I’m asking for others’ thought on things I may have missed. And, I know this is a long post, so thanks in advance for your opinion.

Dreaming

P.S. I will use it for mostly street driving with a few excursions to some open tracks.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I usually don't fall into this trap, but.....

I don't think there are really any real pros and cons between the two choices....they are both cool.

Some think the 289 handles better - maybe if you are going to race it otherwise you won't know the difference.

Some think the 427 has better resale. Well you shouldn't do this based on resale - do it because YOU want it.

There are tons of other plus and minus type issues like this that go into this decision - maybe get a piece of paper and write them all down?

Pat
Old 08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

hmmm... 500 hp from a 351w (289) for about $4500 or 450 hp from $25,000 427 side oiler. Gee.. I'd say you'd be about 200 lbs and a year of college for your kid better off with the small block. That is if you are considering any engine other than the 427.

Now, about those 18" wheels. may I suggest you limit your quest for 1.5g skidpad numbers to 17" wheels. Two reasons. they are available in knock off style wheels from phil schmidt at PSE and two you cannot imagine the ride of an 18" tire on a hand built car. Harsh would be an understatement. The extra aspect ratio (sidewall) cushions the ride. 17" are also easily available in many very easy to get sizes as they are the tire you will find on present day (C5) corvettes. 245-275 fronts and 275-325's in the rear are all easy to get and some fairly reasonably from internet tire stores.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 08-13-2003, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

The demand for Hondas are also better during resale.
The resale for a NSX is more limited, due to lack of demand.
However do not overlook the fact that there are 3,000,000 Hondas for sale and only 14 NSX's for sale at any given moment.

TURK
Old 08-14-2003, 04:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Personally, I would be more worried how I'm going to get it registered in California, than which engine I would be getting........Both are excellent choices, as are all of the manufacturers listed above.................

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-14-2003, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

18 inch wheels??? we call that the afro decor group down here
Old 08-15-2003, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Alex:

Right on Bro!!!!

Rick
Old 08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Not to hijack the thread but - a while back, I wondered what 18 and 20" wheels would look like on a Cobra. So I went to work in photoshop... It is bit of an acquired taste... not for me though

20" wheels

18"

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 08-15-2003, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat: I wouldn't build one or the other JUST based on resale, but it is a consideration

SCOBRAC: I have noticed that. Earlier, it would have been just 18 in wheels, but your tire choices improve dramatically at 17 in. I figured I would only put 5000 mile a year on it at the most, so a rough ride would be tolerable. The motivation was performance and I like the look.

Turk: Good point, but I have no real feel for the demand of 289s relative to 427s. There are certainly few on the market.

mrmustang: I live in Virginia, which is much more liberal than Cali - in terms of vehicle registration that is.

Alex: Is that a pro or a con? I haven't seen many road racers running around on 15 inchers lately, though. In fact, I believe Cup cars use 18 in. Sometimes I wonder about the comments on this site.

Rick: See Alex comment above.

Dreaming
Old 08-15-2003, 03:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Dreamer,

My mistake on your location, the original IP comes up based in CA, while the one listed just above this post we already know where..........As for wheels, I would think that a 17" set would be better for you, take a close look at the following shot of my old FFR with 17 inchers on it:

Front 245/45/17 BFG Comp T/A
Rear 275/40/17 BFG Comp T/A

Tough to see, but they fill in the wheelwell with little room to spare.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-16-2003, 04:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Afro decor group

James: Whew, I'll say it's an acquired taste...if they ever acquire some taste, they won't like it! Thanks for sharing your efforts. Perhaps this will save some folks some $ and regrets.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     
Talking

Lowell,

You would not believe the number of emails that I have received from people thinking that I actually did that to my car! haha

I guess it does look pretty realistic... but it is definitely not for me.

Dreamer,

I have found that many of the people who have once owned 427 cars, have later sold them to purchase 289 cars. As the market grows, there may be more demand for 289s... just a guess though.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 08-16-2003 at 03:10 PM..
Old 08-17-2003, 07:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Alex,

Wait til you see the 22 inchers the prior delinquent put on my Range Rover. Spent $5,600 on AC Schnitzer wheels and tires, instead of making car payments. Got a one year old repo'd Rangie due to his "tastes". Plan on selling wheels on Ebay, but they are kind of growing on me. Gotta run, need to buy some gold chains.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Toy Collector! You got ya bling-bling on yet?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alex Donghi wrote
Quote:
"we call that the afro decor group down here"
Lowell W wrote
Quote:
"if they ever acquire some taste, they won't like it!"
ToyCollector wrote
Quote:
"prior delinquent "
Are these quotes somehow related? Better yet, are they related to the question of the pros and cons of a 289 vs a 427. I state again, sometimes I wonder about the comments on this site.

James: I think the dubs are a little much for even me and not very durable.

mrmustang: I think you are right. And, the wheel diameter is actually bigger (335-35-17 > 335-30-18)