17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-18-2004, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Angry Beware West Coast cobras/Vern Redel

Here's the latest on my potentially beautiful and very expensive (more so now) West Coast "turnkey". Many of you may remember all the problems I had upon delivery, which said delivery I had to force upon Vern, after almost 2 years from my first deposit/payment, as he was ignoring my car in a stall at his shop. It was delivered covered in dust if that tells you anything. You can see the dust in the pics of the delivery in my photo gallery. Right now after 5 months uncovered in my garage it does not have any more dust than the day it was delivered, mostly finished.

Well, here's the latest: Many of you may remember that when my cobra was at the transmission shop late last year for replacement of the ADJUSTABLE hydraulic throwout bearing (which was never adjusted, just thrown in there by Vern Redel.. said lack of proper installation was causing the o-rings to blow out and therefore the clutch no longer worked due to loss of fluid) Anyway, while there the shop allowed me to work on my car on the stand and install my permacool blower fan type oil cooler. This is when I discovered COOLANT in my oil 3000 miles on the car and the bearings were shot. reason? Incorrect installation of the Edelbrock torker 2 intake on my otherwise perfectly fine new 514 crate motor (It had 80 psi and was otherwise a fine motor) I have pictures of the silicone seal Vern used for the end gaskets, and they literally fell out with zero adhesion to either surface when the intake was removed at the rebuilders. The intake also was not torqued properly..!

Now as if this was not all bad enough, Vern Redel has utterly failed to respond to my e-mails and even a registered letter requesting that he honor the WRITTEN and SIGNED warranty he provided. Since Vern Redel/West Coast cobras is a CANADIAN business it seems I have slim recourse. The 1 year warranty states clearly that all work performed by West Coast Dreams is covered. The warranty seems as good as a piece of toilet paper. I have waited for almost 5 months while continuing to write Vern Redel with NO response. Expect the same treatment once he gets YOUR money...

The motor is at a NASCAR machinist's shop for rebuild, and while there, a gentleman who has a great deal of experience with port matching will be opening up the Edelbrock intake to match my Cobra jet heads. So at least this will be one good thing. I am hoping to get the Holley fuel injection done later this year. it should have been done this winter but no way, with all the above.

The only other bright spot is that while we had everything apart I had the bellhousing and transmission powdercoated. I also have a 12 inch McCleod clutch and Tilton TO bearing and much better SS lines. I also will have a pedal stop when we put her back together. It'll look nice when done, It will be done RIGHT this time and she should be back on the road about June at this point.

I will post further when I have more news. Total cost that Vern should have footed under the warranty is in the area of $6,000 not counting motor R & R and that's being generous on my part. A new 514 alone would be $7400, not counting R & R
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BiB,
Good to see yoiu back here at CC. Hope everything works out for you and your car.

West Coast builds a nice car but many here at CC seem to agree that Vern is a slime ball.

Best of Luck!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

BinB

That is the sh!ts! Nobody should have to go through that.

Best of luck getting her done. After a few miles, you won't even think about it.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Yo Bib,

What Jamo said! Tough it out and the pain will fade...

I had a similar exercise where the Ford crate motor guys got me for $2800 with their bad rods/distributor in my 514.

After I got it reassembled and put 8,000 miles on it I still smile involuntarily when I fire it up. Can't wait to get it back after the flip ruined it while taking a driving lesson - but that's another story.

Anyway, hang in there! It's well worth it!

Regards,

Tom

Last edited by Tom Wells; 03-31-2004 at 02:34 PM..
Old 03-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

..................not a whole lot different than my experience with "sai", sorry i meant that is still going on with "sai"!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

It's like what I am told about giving birth. You forget about the pain after the joys gained afterwards.

Not to mention you were the BIGGEST defender of him when I first got on board here.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

flipper35
defender of who??
Old 03-31-2004, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Damn. It's awful to hear that you are having problems getting the "turnkey" done right. It sounds like the issue is low-quality assembly.

How is the balance of the kit? Are the parts good? Does it feel like a solid car?

Maybe its better "build yourself" car than a turnkey.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default WOW!

Thats amazing, I have yet to experience anything but good from Vern. I hope it stays that way.......
Gary
Old 03-31-2004, 08:18 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Keep a Stiff Upper Lip BnB

I have had many dealings with Vern's lack of Customer Service ... I love my West Coast but Vern doesn't support us at times ....

BnB ...I want to talk to you about WC stuff ...I am wanting to put a new bellhousing in mine and have a couple of questions..

e-mail me at mnoel@mecaenviro.com with a phone and I will call you ...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Every member of CC needs to take notes on this. If you have someone build your Cobra make sure the guy has the skills to do the job correctly. BinB paid big $$$ for a custom car. Got the parts he paid for but Vern either did not take the time to do it correctly or did not have the skills to finish the car correctly.

This Sucks!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

B&B,

I remember the saga of when you were trying to get the car. Sorry that you have had so many problems as that is just not right. For the time and money, plus the wait you went through that guy should fly down to your place and have everything fixed.

Just an afterthought. does Vern remove rear wheels?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by csx700?

flipper35
defender of who??
Vern.

I remember threads about the short roll bar in the picture posted among other things. BiB was the biggest backer of WCC and Vern both at the time.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, guys !

Indeed I have been very busy personally and have not been here much. I just now returned to this thread. But I am back, of course in black..Here's the update:

Have found an excellent pro race motor shop in Tacoma that will rebuild and dyno my motor and give me a warranty.. a former expert mechanical member of the Petty race team is going to port match my Edelbrock Torker 2 intake, which should get me an additional +- 50 HP over what I had. The mis-matching was horrible! As soon as she gets together and I drive her a few weeks on the carb, a professional mechanic friend of mine and I are going to put her up on the rack at his shop and install all the EFI stuff.. then she is going to be trucked to a very professional EFI tuning/turbo shop that has a chassis dyno and all the aftermarket software to do the job right. Then I will have my tuned EFI 514

Yep, birthing pains describes this.. but I did have a blast last summer in those 3,000 miles. I must have gotten 2,700 thumbs up and about 50 double thumbs up in that time. My lady and I had many giggles watching folks outside sportsbars checking her out and we met hundreds of interesting folks we never would have, otherwise.

Mohuska, I will shoot you an e-mail. By the way one of my front tie rods is broken.. after 3,000 miles. If you have one of these cars check yours!! Also consider a piece of customized 90 degree angle steel to protect your fuel line(s) from a potential broken driveshaft!! Bad enough to break a drive line, don't let that set your WC on fire!

I WAS a Vern Redel defender initially.. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. this situation (and the condition of my car as delivered) has proven that Vern Redel has no concern for his reputation or his written and signed word. I have the warranty and his silence to prove this. I believe the best revenge is living well so this will pass.. you guys get your motors running and drive, I will be out there soon also!
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm

Last edited by Back in Black; 04-01-2004 at 07:58 PM..
Old 04-04-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up West Coast Cobra Builder

I have built five (5) West Coast Cobras. I have never has any problems with Mr. Vern Redel. Everyone must remember: "A kit is only as good as its builder". I have had great customers and customers that were very difficult. The biggest problem for a builder is a customer that makes many changes during the build. I heard this was the case for B & B. I hope you work all of your cobra problems out. PLEASE contact me if I could be of some help. Keep on Cruising... N2VENOM www.wcpconline.com
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default West Coast....

I will admit, the only "problem" I haqve had ( And I dont really consider it a problem under the circumstances) But I have had delayed replys to my phone calls while He is delivering a car. Since West Coast is virtually a "ONE MAN BAND" you have to take that into consideration. I also heard the problems with BIB was that he requsted certain parts that Vern dosent reccomend using on his cars. ANd BIB insited on these parts and they "BACKFIRED" (pardon the pun) Anyhow I do think there are 2 sides to every story and I know Vern will not back any part that he does not recommend. He told me He didnt reccomend using17" wheels and I have nothing to say to him if they all explode, fall off, come loose or whatever since he said this. He does know this Car very well and hes done it long enough to know what works and what doesnt. I dont blame BIB for being upset. $6,000.00 in repairs is alot of lute. But he did mention a pedal stop for the throwout bearing. Is this mod because the Non recommended TOB? Because the one He (Vern) normally uses dosent require a pedal stop? Im not siding with anyone but lets look at the whole picture before slamming.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maxvelo,
If Vern built the car with parts he would not back he is at least guilty of bad judgement.

Looks like BinB may have wanted a "custom" car from a builder who really did not have the time to devote to such a project.

There are two sides to every story but if a vendor take a clients hard earned $$$$ it is up to vendor to make it right!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: WCC 514ci 625hp. 5sp
Send a message via Yahoo to bibt1272
Not Ranked     
Default wcc BnB

BnB I'm very sorry to here about your situation with Vern. I purchased a turnkey cobra from him in sept. I seen his car at our local car hop and fell in love with the design. I am a big block fan.
I have built three of my last three cars. { 23 T 32 Ford, and 36 Ford.] When I visited Vern's shop. I was very impressed with the frame suspention and body design. Vern explained in great detail the design and steps to build the car. I did not consider it a challange to build this car myself for all the engineering had been done. So I asked Vern to build it. Durring my research I was reading all of your threads in Vern building your car. You were very excited about the car. and supported Vern durring the build. Their were a lot of changes made durring the build. I was extreemly impressed with your desition on reworking the intake manifold by drilling holes to install the fuel injection. The paint job with the goast stripe is gorgios. However things began to turn for you. As I read your threads { deliver, bearing problems ets.] I became a little concerned. In your defence, I sent Vern all of your post and asked him to responed. He had called me back, right away. As I listend to his side of the story. { lots of changes durring the build waitting on parts and the painter ets.] one thing he said, stood out. Terry I was going through My divorce at that time where my X took me over the coles. Well in hearing that I wasnt sure what to think.
BnB, I visit his shop every two weeks. My car is almost finished. From what I see. He does take pride in his work as do all his employees.
There are four cars there in final assembly. Two have purchased the crate engine and two who had their engines built. I chose to by the crate engine, but with all I read about this engine, Im second guesing myself. Vern Is not an engine builder as he has told me this several times. If you buy his Kit or chose him to build the kit less engine and trans. You will get a great car. I have asked him several times to call you. I will ask him again next time I visit. He does need to back up his work and work this problem out with you. Al of us who own a WCC would like to be proud of our cars and the designer of the car. Good luck BnB.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Do you know if Vern took the time and effort to dial in the bellhousing to make sure your tranny is properly aligned? If not, you can probably add to your $$$ figure down the line.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: WCC 514ci 625hp. 5sp
Send a message via Yahoo to bibt1272
Not Ranked     

Cal Metal
I went with Tilton TO bearing. They set the bearing and the clutch stop. What else needs to be aligned?
Closed Thread