April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Go to the web site and on the right hand side enter the CT VIN, from the registration, that was issued after passing the Composite Inspection. Include the CT before the 5 numeric digits. Your Cobra has Composite, Comp or Compo on the registration as the make ?

Search for Your Test Date
Enter Your Vehicle Identification Number

Not sure what will appear since the inspection/registration took place after July 1 ? How did the Inspectors at Wethersfield handle the paperwork since the Composite emission test is no longer required ?
I bought this from a CT resident, the car has been registered and CT inspected fro 1993 until now, I bought and registered it 2 weeks ago!
This link is not working, it says, page cannot be displayed...also, my reg says Unique for the make, nowhere on this reg does it say COMP, COMPO, or Composite!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The provision for emission exemption effective July 1 applies to Composite ( Comp, Compo ) only. " Appears " you have a different situation in that the make happens to be the manufacturer of the kit, Unique ?

Has the previous CT owner indicated whether the Cobta was inspected at Wethersfield as a Composite ? Or, by referring to the kit car/replica as a Unique. the Wethersfield inspection was skipped ? To the best of my knowledge, all kit cars/replicas have to be registered in CT as a Composite, other opinions ?

If you have a VIN other than CTXXXXX ( 5 numerics ), which is issued by the CT DMV , the Cobra was not registered as a Composite.

My experience with the CT VIN system for Composites dates back only to 2000, does anyone with an older registration year have any experience ?

You may want to contact the Emissions Program with the details for their determination:

CustomerSupport@ctemissions.com
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
The provision for emission exemption effective July 1 applies to Composite ( Comp, Compo ) only. " Appears " you have a different situation in that the make happens to be the manufacturer of the kit, Unique ?

Has the previous CT owner indicated whether the Cobta was inspected at Wethersfield as a Composite ? Or, by referring to the kit car/replica as a Unique. the Wethersfield inspection was skipped ? To the best of my knowledge, all kit cars/replicas have to be registered in CT as a Composite, other opinions ?

If you have a VIN other than CTXXXXX ( 5 numerics ), which is issued by the CT DMV , the Cobra was not registered as a Composite.

My experience with the CT VIN system for Composites dates back only to 2000, does anyone with an older registration year have any experience ?

You may want to contact the Emissions Program with the details for their determination:

CustomerSupport@ctemissions.com
Yes, I have a CTxxxxx vin #, and it is engraved into the bar right in back of the radiator.
Do you have another link to that site where you put your VIN in? as I said, it is not working!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My only experience with the CT VIN tag was in 2000, a metal tag affixed to the door jam by the Anti-Theft Unit.

The home site for CT Emissions, which I am able to access as of this AM, along with the link to find the test date

http://www.ctemissions.com/

Anyone have any other thoughts ?

Last edited by Don; 08-09-2007 at 04:59 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
My only experience with the CT VIN tag was in 2000, a metal tag affixed to the door jam by the Anti-Theft Unit.

The home site for CT Emissions, which I am able to access as of this AM, along with the link to find the test date

http://www.ctemissions.com/

Anyone have any other thoughts ?
This link is still not working...I also googled CT emissions, found the site, tried to go there...does NOT work
Old 08-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I called the Emissions Test Hot Line @ 888-828-8399. Spoke with an individual, they are not aware of any problems with their web site. I was able to access the site to obtain the phone number.

If all else fails, call the Hot Line
Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I called the Emissions Test Hot Line @ 888-828-8399. Spoke with an individual, they are not aware of any problems with their web site. I was able to access the site to obtain the phone number.

If all else fails, call the Hot Line
that is freakin weird, I tried from home and work ...OK, I will try again ,
thanks...Dave
Old 08-10-2007, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just went on the site, no problem now, except for the fact that it says I am due on 7-06-2009
So now what do I do, what a bunch of B.S.
Do I need to ammend my title...which I don't even have yet
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well, I called the #, and they told me I was exempt based on just having the CTxxxxx VIN, they told me it doesn't matter what it says on the title!!!
She also told me that the computers have not caught up yet, that is why it was giving me a due date!!
much happier now
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK2
Don,
A thought would be, can all who will attend meet up somehow there for combined strategy.??

Also what do you think of this used w/perm letter:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Joint Transportation Committee Member:

By this letter, I am requesting your support for legislation (H.B. No.5790) to exempt composite vehicles from emissions testing including street rods and custom cars, kit cars and replicas.

This legislation represents a number of important benefits to a huge number of Connecticut residents. The Connecticut street rod and custom vehicle community is an important part of our State.

Street rods and custom cars are the same crowd pleasers that participate in exhibitions and as parade vehicles, and whose owners regularly contribute to charities and civic events. H.B. 5790 simply recognize the immeasurable amount of time, money and thought automotive hobbyists invest in their cars. For many vehicle enthusiasts in Connecticut and throughout America, building, maintaining and enjoying their vehicles is a favorite pastime. This legislation represents an opportunity to acknowledge their commitment to the hobby and to protect it for future generations.

Based on model legislation crafted by the Specialty Equipment market Association (SEMA), similar bills have been enacted in Illinois (2002), Missouri (2004), Rhode Island (2004), Montana (2005) and Maine (2005). A version of the bill was also enacted in Hawaii (2004). The New York, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Virginia, Wyoming and Arkansas Legislatures have already introduced the SEMA model for the 2006 legislative session.

Thank you for your consideration. If you have any questions, or require additional information please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
xxx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in Tennessee. Will this make it easy to get tags?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Note the CC Thread on EPA Kit Car Policy:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...979#post778979
Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Something to add to this discussion... how are the towns handling the property tax calculation each year? I get this question often and the answer is varied...
Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Property Tax in Ct

In my town, Tolland, Ct. in year 2000, I got a call from the accessors office asking mewhat my Cobra was worth. I Have no idea if they had anything from DMV or were just double checking. I gave them the amount on the ERA sales slip. The bad thing about it is they did not depreciate the car every year for the 4 years I had it! Not sure what will happen when I register my new Cobra.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In addition to:

Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions

There have been additional CT Threads in the Registration Forum

Connecticut registration - older replica

New member from CT

!! Passed CT. Inspection & Reg Today !!

2007 Connecticut Emissions Requirements

CT.Reg Question

CT. Registration Trailering

CT. registration question

In total, 8 Threads, 391 replies and 17,170 Views. Thanks to Brent for establishing the Forum as the CT owners have been able to share our experiences, suggestions and recommendations as well as communicating on other CT DMV & Emissions topics
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CT Sales Tax

A letter to the Editor of the Manchester CT Journal Inquirer mentioned a Sales Tax policy I was not aware of.

If the vehicle is purchased from a private party, the Sales Tax is calculated based upon the market value source used by the DMV, not the amount listed on the Bill of Sale. In the example, the vehicle had been purchased from a non-profit organization at below market value. Bill of Sale was notarized. Buyer had to pay the Sales tax based upon the DMV market value which was higher.

Mentioned was the buyer could apply for a partial refund based upon the Bill of Sale amount by contacting the Dept of Revenue Services and submitting the paperwork, seller has to sign the document.

Does not apply if the seller is a licensed dealer. There was no mention of what happens when the private party purchase price is higher than the source used by the DMV, which was not specified

An unknown is how the DMV would value a Cobra replica for Sales Tax purposes vs the actual sales price.

Anyone have any experience or a correction to the points mentioned in the letter ?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Registered mine last summer, charged me sales tax on the price list on the bill of sale which was 7000.00
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was the make/model on the Bill Of Sale listed as Unique Motorcars ? If so, the DMV , as a guess, would probably not have Unique in their reference for determining market value.

Another unknown to me, how does the Tax Assessors assign value for the property tax considering all the different makes etc ? For a pre-owned Cobra or a first time registration, the Bill of Sale amount is used for determining the tax assessment ?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure, I think it did say Unique.
Just got my first assessment, it is 7000.00. I know it is supposed to be 70% of the value, but I am not going to question it and open up a can of worms, I am still ahead of the game.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone have a recent experience with the safety inspection & registration process at Wethersfield, or the process has remained the same ?

I was asked if the requirement for heat shields on the side pipes was still being enforced or ?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Process is same as always. Took a car through on Tuesday. Only significant change is you no longer need to make an appointment in advance. Just arrive at Weathersfield during standard inspection hours.