Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Roadtrip - such a comfortable car

I really should have posted this sooner, but I wanted to tell about a great road trip my son and I took this summer and comment what a truly comfortable riding car our ERA is.

My 11 year old son Duncan and I packed up our newly fitted soft top, side curtains, camera gear, and 4 days worth of clothes in the trunk and headed out on Friday morning July 20th. Leaving Kansas City our goal was Road America (Wisconsin) for the Kohler International Challenge (vintage race).

We put in about 9 hours on the road that day with frequent gas stops (we only got 12mpg) and stopping at my brother's house in Cedar Rapids, Ia for lunch. Not a complaint from either of us of sore butts or backs, if anything it was just a little cold in the morning.

It was about an hour and a half drive from where we were staying to the track each day, but wisconsin back roads are nicely paved and sometimes curvy, always scenic.

At the track we had a great time meeting up with some of the Chicago Cobra contingent. We did track touring which was fun but kinda lame due to way too much traffic.

Sunday was more fun at the track, we were mostly there to participate in the McKee reunion and talk to all the great people at the McKee tent.

On Monday we headed home, again a very pleasant ride with no issues. When we got home we had put 1691 miles on the odometer.

I can't thank ERA enough for producing a great handling, comfortable, competent road car. This is exactly what we bought it for. For next summer my wife and I are planning a trip to drive the tail of the dragon and visit Biltmore in the north carolina. I can't wait for that trip.

Best Regards,

Chuck Brandt

Old 09-16-2007, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That sounds like it was alot of fun! I can't wait to do stuff like this with my kids!

I bet the under car exhaust aids quite a bit in the comfort!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Definitely do these kinds of trips with your kids. I have 3 and one on one time with any of them is special.

Actually my new undercar exhaust design is fairly loud, although probably not as loud as side pipes. You can still have a conversation but it's louder than it was, I think I'll work on tail pipes for it.

Chuck
Old 09-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Good stuff Chuck.

I can't wait until my sons are old enough to go beyond the local neighborhood.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Chuck, the "427 street seats" that ERA uses are true works of art. I'm putting those in my FIA. The seat frames are tubular steel and the seat bottom is a rubber bladder that is hung on the frame via steel springs. The seat back has vertical strips also hung by springs. Padding goes over this structure, then the seat cover (vinyl or leather). Incredibly comfortable. Peter has the seat frames, with bladders installed, on the parts mezzanine above the assembly shop. They are beautiful .. and I guess they worked for you!! Sounds like a great trip!! Can't wait to get mine to take my wife for a long trip. RD
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I am also waiting for the day I can drive farther than the local store with my boys. As a matter of fact that is why I purchased the car to begin with. In this day and age where kids are all video, TV, and MTV I wanted to excite them in reality. These cars, or really any other rod, are perfect for kids attention. I have found they are very interested and really take pride in this hobby with me and it really is fun. They are my best friends.....

BTW: Great seats, ie: tubular steel, really make the difference. CCX has seats very simnilar to ERA and they reaklly do save your ass and back. Outside of top replica mfg I think most seats are glass = OUCH.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Chuck, I remember that you put the flowmasters, hushpower, on. Is that what you are running now? What size tailpipes are you running also? Maybe just pinching them down one size will make all the difference in the world. I install a lot of electric cutouts for customers. That might be an option for track time. Possibly just reducing the last half of the tailpipes, and put the cutouts in the first half.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I can second the comfort comments about the ERA seats. Last summer my wife was at a conference in San Francisco and the last day of the conference I jumped into ERA684 and drove straight through from Portland to SF (about 600 miles) with only gas stops. From there we went down to Carmel for 3 days and then spend another 3 days driving back up the pacific coast back to Portland. A total of 1400 miles and not an ache or pain for the entire trip.
DonC
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mine are the old fiberglass ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd
Chuck, the "427 street seats" that ERA uses are true works of art. I'm putting those in my FIA. The seat frames are tubular steel and the seat bottom is a rubber bladder that is hung on the frame via steel springs. The seat back has vertical strips also hung by springs. Padding goes over this structure, then the seat cover (vinyl or leather). Incredibly comfortable. Peter has the seat frames, with bladders installed, on the parts mezzanine above the assembly shop. They are beautiful .. and I guess they worked for you!! Sounds like a great trip!! Can't wait to get mine to take my wife for a long trip. RD
I've heard about those new ones but alas mine are the old fiberglass shell ones with leather.

Still very comfortable to me.

Chuck
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yes Hushpower II

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic
Chuck, I remember that you put the flowmasters, hushpower, on. Is that what you are running now? What size tailpipes are you running also? Maybe just pinching them down one size will make all the difference in the world. I install a lot of electric cutouts for customers. That might be an option for track time. Possibly just reducing the last half of the tailpipes, and put the cutouts in the first half.
Yes I have the hushpower IIs on now, 2 1/2" dumping in front of the rear tire. I have a dream of some kind of ovalized 2 1/2" running up over the axle and into tail pipes. I don't think it's the sound level so much as that it's right next to you. And it was a problem when I picked Audrey up from kindergarden on friday, kids were crowded around and I had to shoo them back because of the exhaust coming out the side where they weren't expecting it. Anyway, maybe I'll tackle that project this winter.

Chuck

Here is what the new exhaust looks like, except I ended up extending the dumps a few more inches to get them outside the body.

Last edited by chuckbrandt; 09-17-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 ERA #2115 under build in my bedroom
Not Ranked     

FYI....there is a heated seat unit that can be built into the seat when they make them up. Just drop it off to ERA before they build and Jack will install...no charge......mike
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Chuck, You are right about getting the noise, and exhaust away by just extending the tailpipes to the rear. You might find you have more torque by reducing the tailpipe somewhere to 2 1/4". This will also reduce the volume of sound. One 3" pipe is good for over 500hp.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 713 427 stroker 468ci
Not Ranked     

we took are first overnight trip in era 713 this weekend.400 mile round trip was very nice drive in wash state from stanwood to winthrop over 2 mountain passes on hwy 20 to a car show.car drives very good and was comfortable.my only complaint is my choice of gearing,tko 600 with the 0.64 od & 3.31 diff.2800 rpm @ 65 in 4th & 1800 rpm @70 in 5th.I will eventually change to 0.82.the car is very solid feeling with no rattles or squeaks.427 fe ran good @ 180 to 210 deg although still a little rich.very nice car & worth the wait for anybody considering this car.we won 1st place @ show.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Hey Chuck long time no hear!!! Where's the other street guys? Sounds like a trip that you and your son will cherish forever. I can't wait to do something like that with my kids.

I agree on the new seats that are tube and with the rubber bladder. Awesome.

Frank
Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

I would love to go on a trip like that but my boy are always working and my wife thinks that the Cobra is a noisy POS (allthough see uses other words, like slow down, shift, watch out, I can't hear a thing) .

It's just easier this way.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sounds like a nice trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA713
we took are first overnight trip in era 713 this weekend.400 mile round trip was very nice drive in wash state from stanwood to winthrop over 2 mountain passes on hwy 20 to a car show.car drives very good and was comfortable.my only complaint is my choice of gearing,tko 600 with the 0.64 od & 3.31 diff.2800 rpm @ 65 in 4th & 1800 rpm @70 in 5th.I will eventually change to 0.82.the car is very solid feeling with no rattles or squeaks.427 fe ran good @ 180 to 210 deg although still a little rich.very nice car & worth the wait for anybody considering this car.we won 1st place @ show.
Sounds like a nice trip. I only wish there were mountain passes that close to here

CDB
Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is your car done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69
Hey Chuck long time no hear!!! Where's the other street guys? Sounds like a trip that you and your son will cherish forever. I can't wait to do something like that with my kids.

I agree on the new seats that are tube and with the rubber bladder. Awesome.

Frank
Hey Frank,
Have you got that car done yet? I haven't heard boo lately from the street car gang.

Chuck
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     
Default Oh yea...

Oh yea... it's done. The folks at ERA are beyond the best of the best. I've not heard anything from the other street folks either. Except for Mikey D. We are in touch.

Here it is....

66gtk likes this.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Frank -- You drove that thing so fast it blew your hair off!

Good looking cars. When and if I get rich I am going to have to build a street version.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69
Oh yea... it's done. The folks at ERA are beyond the best of the best. I've not heard anything from the other street folks either. Except for Mikey D. We are in touch.

Here it is....
Car looks gorgeous Frank! So did ERA make your exhaust? Can you show me a picture of the bit over the axle? I have the optional rear and the top link hit my exhaust pipes.

Chuck