SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default How to "read" Lakewood Offset Dowel Pins?

Ok, i am ready to re-assemble my clutch and my new TKO600 transmission! I have learned how to measure my bellhousing alignment too! The vertical position is fine but the side to side measurement is a difference of .018 so I need to move the bellhousing .009 to the passenger side. I purchased the Lakewood .007 offset dowels from Summit. Lakewood says the maxmium offset is indicated by the slot in the top. The slots cut into my pins appear to be in the middle of the pin top. There is a number 7 stamped on one side of the slot. Does the stamped 7 indicate the direction of the maximum offset?

I also purchased the EX-adjustable dowel pins again in the .007 size. Lakewood says to clock both in the same direction when first installing into the block. Ok, I get that but again there is no indicator on the pin top barrel other than a number like 101A-01.

How do you know the direction of the maximum offset? Please help, I can see the final steps!!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

I beat my brain on this for a weekend last spring. Purchased the same pins you did from Summit. Turned out that Lakewood's instructions about where the offset is located were wrong, or the pins were just made wrong. The eccentric lobe had no relation to the slot. I could even see the offset by looking down the center of the pin from the block end.

Put the block end of the pin on a flat surface, like the anvil end of your vise, and set up your dial indicatior to trace the top of the eccentric end as you rotate it with your fingers. You will quickly see where the highest deflection is. Place a dot on the top of the pin with a Sharpie. Do the other pin .. don't be surprised if it is off in a different direction. Stand the pins up and centerpunch the dot for a permanent mark. Now install in the block and twist both pins so the marks are oriented in the same direction. Disregard the slots.

Good luck!
Sam
Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 29
I have learned how to measure my bellhousing alignment too!
Got any good links?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default One of many sources of info

I searched with Google for "bellhousing alignment" and had many internet sites to select from. One of these is http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=127948

The text that helped me is;
Checking bellhousing alignment
1. Making sure that dowel pins are clean and free from dirt and/or paint, securely mount bellhousing to the engine block, and torque all bellhousing-to-engine bolts to specification. If you are using a scattershield, make sure the block plate is installed. Make sure your stock dowel pins protrude out far enough to let the scatter shield and block plate fit on the flat part of the dowel and not the tapered part. If the scattershield is resting on the tapered part this can cause inaccurate measurements. It may be necessary to tap the stock dowels out far enough to allow this. Moroso makes longer straight dowels for this purpose.

2. Install dial indicator base on the flywheel and adjust plunger to contact the inside edge of the register bore of the bellhousing. If you need to create space for the dial indicator base to sit flat on the flywheel, remove two of the flywheel bolts that are directly across from one another.

3. With the dial indicator mounted correctly, rotate the crank 360* and note the indicator readings. Using an inspection mirror to read the gauge as it rotates is helpful. Mark your readings at the 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions. This will give you an indication of which direction you need to move the housing - if necessary. Make sure to double check your readings. The total travel of the needle, divided by two, equals your reading – this reading is the amount of misalignment between the crank centerline and the bellhousing bore. Tremec specifies a maximum misalignment, or “runout” of 0.005". If you have more than .005” runout you will need to correct this by using offset dowel pins. If your reading is 0.005” or less, your bellhousing is within tolerance and you are finished with this process. If you have between 0.005” – 0.040” misalignment, you can correct it by using the correct offset dowel pins (proceed to step #4). If your misalignment is greater than 0.040” you have either measured incorrectly or there is a problem with your bellhousing and it will likely need to be replaced.

Bellhousing alignment procedures
1. To correct misalignment, you will need to use offset dowel pins. We have found an excellent set of offset dowel pins from RobbMc Performance Products (www.robbmcperformance.com). The job is much easier with these dowel pins.

2. Start with the indicator at the 12 o’clock position and turn the engine 360 degrees (one full turn). Mark the locations where the reading is highest and lowest. These readings may cover a large area but will help determine which direction to move the housing to correct misalignment. Now put the indicator in the center of the area of the LOWEST reading and ZERO the indicator (for example, if the lowest reading was between 7 and 9 o’clock you would put the indicator at 8:00. Now rotate the engine until you get the highest plus or positive reading – in this example it should be somewhere near 2:00. If the reading is .014” you would need to move the housing towards 2:00 by .007”. If it were .020” you would move it .010”. After the initial learning curve you will understand how this process works. Remember that all readings are divided by two. This can be a frustrating process. Have some patience and use a notepad to record your measurements, not the face of the bell housing as it will get full of measurements quickly. After your dowel pins are in you can turn them as needed to get the required alignment.
To install offset dowel pins, first remove the stock dowel pins by driving them through from the back with a brass drift or by using gripper pliers – sometimes this can difficult to do, especially with the engine still installed in the car. Another way to remove the dowels is to remove stock dowels with a slide hammer. To do this try using a 1/4"-28 attachment on the slide hammer. Next, drill the dowels and tap them to accept the 1/4"-28 attachment and then use the slide hammer accordingly.
Properly clean engine block dowel pin holes and lightly coat with lubricant.

4. Lubricate dowel pins and install them into engine block. The slot of the dowel pins DOES NOT indicate the direction of maximum offset. You must find the high spot on the dowel with the dial indicator and mark it so the dowels can be installed parallel to one another.

5. Install bellhousing and torque bolts to specification. Re-mount the dial indicator and recheck runout by repeating step #3. Small corrections can be made by loosening the bellhousing bolts and turning the dowels with a screwdriver to bring the bellhousing within limits.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should be able to see the offset in the pins. Install them so that the bellhousing is moved in the direction needing the offset. (in your case, shifting it the side.) Make sure both pins are set the same direction. Then re-check the alignment.
A little tip; I usually write my results on the bellhousing, at the pint the measurment was taken.
HTH,
Larry