Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Spark Plugs Condition (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/134310-spark-plugs-condition.html)

acinider 08-11-2015 11:38 AM

Spark Plugs Condition

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

I have 500 miles on my rebuilt 1993 5.0 engine that's running a B cam, dual plane Cobra intake, full headers to 2.5" side exhaust, and a Holley 600 carb in my '66 Mustang. I pulled the plugs yesterday and wanted to get everyone's opinion on how they look.

Thanks!
Brent

Cylinders 1-4 (Passenger side): black background
Cylinders 5-8 (Driver Side): blue background

DWRAT 08-12-2015 06:20 PM

All your plugs look great.

acinider 08-12-2015 07:20 PM

Thanks DWRAT!

Dwight 08-13-2015 06:05 AM

great site for sparkplug reading

sparkplugreading

blykins 08-13-2015 06:10 AM

A little rich on the idle, need to pull a degree of timing out, and a lug nut on your rear passenger side wheel is loose.

Davekmd 08-13-2015 10:22 AM

Look almost darn near perfect!

acinider 08-13-2015 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone! Dwight, that spark plug site is great. Blykins, if you can tell that from my plugs you should take up poker!

I honestly thought they might be a bit on the lean side due to the light tanning on the porcelain.

blykins 08-13-2015 02:02 PM

That color is pretty much optimal. When they start getting glistening white and you have issues.

By the way, I was serious about two out of three of the things I said above…

Bernica 08-13-2015 05:26 PM

Cocoa brown and look very nice to me.;)

DWRAT 08-13-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1358996)
A little rich on the idle, need to pull a degree of timing out,

Explain your advise please.
Mostly the part about timing, what tells you to pull timing a bit?
Dan

blykins 08-14-2015 04:47 AM

The base ring shows to be a tad sooty, most likely because of a rich idle.

If you look at the heat mark on the ground strap that will tell you a lot about where the timing needs to be.