Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Roush 427R exhaust manifold gasket replacement (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/142021-roush-427r-exhaust-manifold-gasket-replacement.html)

Goopie 18 02-12-2019 06:42 AM

Roush 427R exhaust manifold gasket replacement

Need to replace exhaust manifold gaskets on my Roush 427R engine. Any suggestions? Brand/part #?

twobjshelbys 02-12-2019 07:00 AM

Did you contact Roush?

Goopie 18 02-12-2019 08:59 AM

Not yet. Looking for additional opinions.

jhv48 02-12-2019 01:03 PM

Rousch uses AFR heads. Remflex, Felpro, Mr. Gasket all make exhaust gaskets for these 351W heads.

Goopie 18 02-12-2019 02:12 PM

Jim, thanks for the reply. I contacted Olthoff Racing. They use copper RTV, not gaskets to attach headers to cylinder head. Never have had leaks. Thoughts?

wanab5150 02-12-2019 02:51 PM

I had rtf originally. After 5k leaked badly. If you use rev and check and recheck and recheck every 1000 miles until they stop settling you may be ok. I went with felpro instead on my Roush 427r ....AFR heads of course. That was 27,000 ago. I checked a couple of times and a couple slightly loose but I mean slightly.

wanab5150 02-12-2019 03:17 PM

Fel-Pro 1487 - 195cc-220cc Exhaust Gasket
PRICE:$26.00

AFR PART #: 6839

QTY:
These are for Roush 427 Afr heads .......look at bottom left...Small block ford 205’s are what you have. WARNING.... back in that era of SPF there were two different headers that came on these cars. One set was for small tube headers for 351... and the others are for AFR big port heads. Make sure which headers you have. If you have headers that have a weld about 3 inches from the port then another about 8 inches down then you have small headers for stock 351’s NOT AFR heads. You can also tell when you remove them..... If the gasket is way smaller than the ports on the heads...they’re not the headers designed for this motor and create a blockage and probably cost you 100 hp at 6k rpm. The good news is that if you have small port headers with the big port AFR heads Superformance sold these before the big port heads were being used (dumb asses) because the Roush motors still run good....they just plug the motor up. I’ve seen many many Roush motors in SPF,s with the small headers and the owners have no idea because they’re redicously fast either way.
E,mail me if I confused you. Wanab5150@comcast.net.

Product Information
Fel Pro #1487 Exhaust Gaskets
AFR SBF 195cc Competition Package
AFR SBF 205/225cc

Goopie 18 02-13-2019 04:24 AM

Thanks Tom. Great info

Jim Vander Wal 02-13-2019 04:57 AM

I ran SCE embossed copper gaskets. Summit has them, Jegs should too.

They don't compress the way a fiber gasket does; it always seemed that the header bolts would stay tighter. But the mating surfaces need to be pretty flat to start. SCE Gaskets, LLC. Premium Engine Gaskets

Jim