Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Newbie asking a really newbie question. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/145558-newbie-asking-really-newbie-question.html)

Alex C 01-14-2022 01:41 PM

Newbie asking a really newbie question.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice you can offer!

Love the "loopy idle" sound of the big blocks, but have decided to look for a small block v-8 resale. That being said, can the 302's or 351's be set up to idle loopy like the big blocks? Also looking for recommendations on best small block engine to be considering. Only exposure to American engines has been a 351 Cleveland on my 74 Pantera (GONE) Carbs or EFI?

Thanks, and excited to be in this group!

jts359 01-14-2022 02:36 PM

You can have the cam in my FFR MkII when I remove it this spring , It has a very loopy cam I find to be very annoying , I bought the car to cruise and take trips with but with this loopy cam its making these runs annoying , The previous owner just paid to have things done and he could'nt tell me about the cam, Its a blue print engine and the car is blindingly fast but the cam sucks , Ed

cycleguy55 01-14-2022 03:07 PM

Lots of people like the sound of a lopey idle, but it's often associated with a higher power curve that impacts low RPM drivability. They also often have low vacuum, so problematic for those needing vacuum for power brakes.

Alex C 01-15-2022 07:32 AM

Thank you..that makes sense. So if I plan to just drive it around old county roads with little or no highway driving the loopey cam will make it annoying to drive at low RPM's?

Alex C 01-15-2022 07:34 AM

Thank You. Any recommendations on a "maintenance free" small block?

twobjshelbys 01-15-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex C (Post 1502190)
Thank you..that makes sense. So if I plan to just drive it around old county roads with little or no highway driving the loopey cam will make it annoying to drive at low RPM's?

Yes. Idle will also be affected. I think I had to bring mine up to 1000 or 1100.

Alex C 01-16-2022 08:36 AM

Small block engines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex C (Post 1502191)
Thank You. Any recommendations on a "maintenance free" small block?

Planning on buying a pre-owned Cobra. Looking for small block engine set-up recommendations for a power plant that will be easy to work on for the average guy but yet strong enough to enjoy on the back-roads..no interstate travel.

Also, knowing that I won't be able to get the loopy idle out of a small block, anyone else use anything to beef-up the exhaust sound of the small?

Not even sure all I'm asking for can be achieved but why not ask the experts!!!

Thanks!

Thor maine 01-16-2022 08:58 AM

A GM LS engine is the answer to all your questions!