Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   289 Clutch Fork Question (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/64473-289-clutch-fork-question.html)

Tongue Pirate 05-17-2005 08:47 PM

289 Clutch Fork Question

I have all of my clutch parts now & pretty much have everything figured out except for a piece of spring steel that is attached to the under side of the clutch fork where the pivot rides. I have the retainer spring which is a completely seperate part. This peice of steel is riveted just under the fork & runs across the point where the pivot rides. It is a 68' repo part as per ERA's spec. Can Anyone tell me what this is???

Fox 05-17-2005 09:03 PM

Hyde,

Are you asking about this bracket???

Clutch bracket

Check out the rest of their catalog,,,

-John

Tongue Pirate 05-17-2005 09:07 PM

No I have a spare pivot though the pivot on the bellhousing is in great condition. This is a piece of spring steel that is on the bottom side of the fork

Tongue Pirate 05-17-2005 09:17 PM

Here, I got off my lazy arse & took a couple pics :rolleyes:

http://www.bluebellyguitars.com/forkclip.jpg

http://www.bluebellyguitars.com/forkclp.jpg

RON N BKFLD 05-17-2005 09:18 PM

CLIP TO HOLD THROW OUT BEARING?
RON

Rick Parker 05-17-2005 09:20 PM

The clip slides into the slot in the pivot to keep it from rattling, probably an upgrade on the wire spring type that fit in the small holes in the sides of the lever. Look at the link above showing the lever pivot.

Rick

Tongue Pirate 05-17-2005 09:27 PM

There are two clips on the end holding the bearing allready so i don't think it would be that...

What kind of reinforcement are you thinking? It seems like it would have a purpose but it doesn't seem to make any sense the way it's positioned. As you can see the pivot would set right on top of it the way it is & there isn't room for it to clamp underneath the pivot as to hold it in place.

Tongue Pirate 05-17-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Parker

The clip slides into the slot in the pivot to keep it from rattling, probably an upgrade on the wire spring type that fit in the small holes in the sides of the lever. Look at the link above showing the lever pivot.

Rick

That would make sense! I suppose then I should remove it since my pivot has no slot. & I have the spring... :cool:

Rick Parker 05-18-2005 03:43 AM

Hyde: That would be one option or you could replace the existing pivot, or remove & modify the one you have. I'm not sure if the ERA clip is a better vesion of the "Spring" retainer or not?
Your call

Rick

Tongue Pirate 05-18-2005 04:40 AM

The clip retainer isn't an ERA recomended part, neither is the attached spring clip for that matter. I also have an extra pivot but it has no slot. This leads me to want to go with the clip retainer cause' I can just cut the piece off of the fork & go. Someone please correct me if this is an inferior method...

Rick Parker 05-18-2005 04:46 AM

Hyde:

Call ERA and get their read on it. Personally I have never seen one with the clip like yours, maybe it is better? It and/or the wire keep the arm in contact with the pivot so the bearing is not inadvertantly riding on the release fingers and potentially rattling.
I have the wire type and had no difficulty in 17 years???? Why mess with success?
Rick

trularin 05-18-2005 05:33 AM

I have the clip on mine.

It retains the arm to the bellhousing as you rattle it around putting the trans in.

The clip slides over the "L" bracket and allows the fork to pivot without sliding back anf forth.

Make sure you install the boot as well.

Tongue Pirate 05-18-2005 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by trularin

I have the clip on mine.

It retains the arm to the bellhousing as you rattle it around putting the trans in.

The clip slides over the "L" bracket and allows the fork to pivot without sliding back anf forth.

Make sure you install the boot as well.

Over the L Bracket? You mean under it as in where it connects to the bell housing?