Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Is this timing cover for standard or reverse rotation? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/82851-timing-cover-standard-reverse-rotation.html)

blykins 10-09-2007 12:21 PM

Is this timing cover for standard or reverse rotation?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure it's standard rotation, but just wanna check to make sure.

lineslinger 10-09-2007 12:34 PM

Brent, what engine is that from?

COBRAGAR 10-09-2007 01:02 PM

timing cover

small block ford 302/351 timing cover .timing cover is the same for the four types of water pump you can buy .rightside / leftside water inlets and standard or counter rotation pumps. you also need to know fuel pump mech or electric and oil dipstick location in frt in timing cover or in oilpan from the side of engine .hope this helps if you need additional help emial me .

trctrdrvr 10-09-2007 01:05 PM

the only difference in the cover are some have a cutout for mech. fuel pumps

Tugboat 10-09-2007 01:18 PM

One of the determining factors is the angle of the water inlets. Go to the Summitt and Edlebrock websites and you will notice that the water passages on the one you picture matches the standard covers. If they angle the opposite way they are for the other later model reverse rotation. Used when the went to a serpentine belt.

I know their isn't a huge difference but I have always wondered if this is the problem with some of the overheating issues on a few of the cars that people never seem to diagnose. Looks to me like it would cause a cavitation problem.

Who Knows!!!!

Larry

blykins 10-09-2007 02:00 PM

Tug, that's what I thought....just wanting some validation.

Mark, it's off of a SBF. I'm building a 445ci Windsor motor. :D

ron427 10-09-2007 07:17 PM

Timing Cover

There is a difference in the covers depending on pump rotation. I am using a 95 Mustang Cobra 5.0. I had to change the cover to switch from the counter-clockwise rotation to clockwise. Ron

LMH 10-09-2007 10:23 PM

Brent
That's a standard rotation cover.
Larry

blykins 10-10-2007 02:57 AM

Thank you fellers!

trularin 10-10-2007 05:36 AM

Brent, are we playing with a new car????????

:D :D :D

blykins 10-10-2007 05:42 AM

Well not yet....I'm going at it backwards and playing with a new engine first. ;)